MikesPhotos

A Guide to the LAFD and assisting agencies....

Well looks like one or two of my assumptions were wrong so thank for clearing that up. :)

After reading I still have one unanswered question and one new question:

New:

Does this apply IRL or simply game play? I actually do use this method in game play some times but it seemed unrealistic. In

such a case would a Medic then ride in the BLS and the Engine follow to the hospital?

Mostly that was for game play. IRL depends on a complex set of transport and care guidelines that is way to involved to explain in this forum. Bassically it just depends on how much and what kind of care is necessary. Many times Engines and Light Forces will initiate care and follow up at the hospital especially if additional members ride in the ambulance. For example, Trauma patient requires both medics to work in the box, Firefighter from the Engine can drive and Engine will follow up to pick up its member. Or child with minor allergic reaction requires no paramedic treatment but because it can deteriorate quickly, Medic from the Engine rides in the BLS ambulance with the Engine following.

Now I still have one question remaining: with ALS Buses and ALS Engines usually stored in the same station, whats the dispatch policy? My apologies if I some how missed this.

That will be explained in depth later but the quick and dirty is that it depends on where the call is and the type of call. You don't want to tie up a fire suppression resource (engine) on a medical call, when an RA is available, and if both apparatus in a station are ALS level, then the station is probably busy enough that both won't be in the house at the same time much.

Welcome back mike

Ok thanks, that was sufficient enough. Light Forces do medic runs?

Yes, sometimes they do. One was called this morning for a cardiac arrest just before 8a.m.

Oh, mike, what's up with Gerber in L.A? I was at U.C.L.A not too long ago and there was a Gerber bus pulling in?!?!

Ok thanks, that was sufficient enough. Light Forces do medic runs?

As stated above, there are Paramedic Assessment Light Forces. On all ALS runs, the nearest BLS company will respond along with an ALS unit. If for example, E5 is on a call, and LF5 is the nearest BLS resource to an ALS medical aid, they will respond along with whatever ALS resource is assigned as well. This allows the department to meet the criteria of being on scene and providing emergency medical care within in 5 minutes, and ALS care within 8.

Oh, mike, what's up with Gerber in L.A? I was at U.C.L.A not too long ago and there was a Gerber bus pulling in?!?!

You sound surprised. As stated in the guide, the bread and butter of private ambulance companies are their private contracts with hospitals and care facilities. Gerber, for example, has the contract with Harbor-UCLA Med center for their Neonatal and Pediatric Teams, and of course, Gerber will also respond to every hospital in the county based on the needs of their clients. It is not unheard of for a patient in the Antelope Valley to be transferred by PRN or ProCare to St Mary's in Long Beach and back depending on the type of medical care and treatment they are receiving. At any give time, you can find half a dozen different ambulance companies at virtually any hospital and the IFT's are truly their #1 source of revenue and use.

As stated above, there are Paramedic Assessment Light Forces. On all ALS runs, the nearest BLS company will respond along with an ALS unit. If for example, E5 is on a call, and LF5 is the nearest BLS resource to an ALS medical aid, they will respond along with whatever ALS resource is assigned as well. This allows the department to meet the criteria of being on scene and providing emergency medical care within in 5 minutes, and ALS care within 8.

Oh sorry i guess its been awhile since I read up on the light force section. Thanks again for your valuable insight.

You sound surprised. As stated in the guide, the bread and butter of private ambulance companies are their private contracts with hospitals and care facilities. Gerber, for example, has the contract with Harbor-UCLA Med center for their Neonatal and Pediatric Teams, and of course, Gerber will also respond to every hospital in the county based on the needs of their clients. It is not unheard of for a patient in the Antelope Valley to be transferred by PRN or ProCare to St Mary's in Long Beach and back depending on the type of medical care and treatment they are receiving. At any give time, you can find half a dozen different ambulance companies at virtually any hospital and the IFT's are truly their #1 source of revenue and use.

I'm not surprised, it's just when you said city contracts have no roll, it kinda left a question, I didn't mean to put the "?!?!" as a surprise, it was meant as a "wait. I know there's some contracts out there from hospitals. Great job with the guide btw. I'm just going around being annoying. Thanks for clearing up my response to 4x4 btw.

Sorry for the post on that RA post in the submod section. This is off topic, but your inbox is full. So: I didn't mean to the city itself, lol. I grew up in Santa Monica, and my dad still lives there. He's an ex-city employee, so I already know a great deal about what they do, Jim Hone and my step-mom have been friends for many years, and my step-grandfather was an LA City Firefighter, then he moved to L.A county. He moved to county, because after saving 3 of his guys from a structural collapse, he decided "I'd rather fight mother nature than fight man-made fires." There's still a few guys around who knew him. I'll talk to you more some time ^^

I don't think there's anything else to add, I didn't see if you put in the call-sign for the BLS ambulance. Over the TAC, it's an 800 ambulance, lol. I think the call signs should be added in to the L.A mod.

Peace

I don't think there's anything else to add, I didn't see if you put in the call-sign for the BLS ambulance. Over the TAC, it's an 800 ambulance, lol. I think the call signs should be added in to the L.A mod.

Peace

Here is the relevant passage from the guide:

The BLS Rescue Ambulances are staffed by two Firefighters and are designated by an 800 or 900 series number, much like the pumper in the Light Force has a 200/300 series

E88: OCD, E88, send an additional 800 to my location.

OCD: You'll be getting Rescue 909 from quarters. Do you need them Emergency or Non?

E88: Send them emergency.

You said you didn't see where it was in the guide, i pointed you to the relevant sections where it was already included in the guide.

Okay. Thanks again.

For water rescue are LAFD/LACoFD Rescue Boats launched at a boat ramp or do the boats respond from a station located at a port? If there launched at a boat ramp, what vehicle is used to transport the boats? Do any apertures have the capacity for a diver to suit up in route to a location?

1. Depends on where it is. Port of L.A has stations with boats, and some other stations may have vehicles to carry the boats to launch at a ramp.

2. I'm not sure.

For water rescue are LAFD/LACoFD Rescue Boats launched at a boat ramp or do the boats respond from a station located at a port? If there launched at a boat ramp, what vehicle is used to transport the boats? Do any apertures have the capacity for a diver to suit up in route to a location?

Normally I'd say wait for that section to be finished, but since someone has taken the time to post misinformation, I might as well clear it up now.

The 39 foot Kvichack fire boats. (Fire boats 1, 3 and 5 for LAFD and nearly identical Boat 110 for LACoFD) are stationed at specially constructed fire stations on the water front in berths. Boat 1 is at Fire station 111 Berth 256 @ Terminal Island, #3 is at FS49 Berth 194 in Wilmington and #5 is at LAFD FS 110 Berth 44-A in San Pedro.

These boats are not small nor are they vehicle transportable like a small personal watercraft, you really have to understand the size of what we are talking about here. The basic displacement when delivered is 32,750lbs, with all of the rescue and firefighting gear on board, it is much, much more! By comparison, a fully stocked, ready to roll, in service 2007 LAFD Pierce Arrow XT Fire Engine is 40,480lbs and 23'4" long. These boats are close in weight and double the length of a standard front line Fire engine. Imagine trying to transport that anywhere in an emergency mode, it's just not going to happen.

This photo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikesphotos_u...57615680830315/

gives you a good idea of the size of these boats compared to other vessels in the water and with people on board. All are set up to allow for dive operations and divers will typically suit up at the station or can suit up on board if necessary.

And city, like the County does, carries all of their Firefighting, and other equipment on board, including full turnouts.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikesphotos_u...57615680830315/

These vessels are not used for Swift Water Rescue throughout the many cement and natural river systems within the City of Los Angeles due to the sizes and the typical lack of actual water in the majority of the systems. Instead Zodiac Mark III 15.5” inflatable boats which can be outfitted with (I think they're Johnson's) 55 hp outboard engines. Also, depending on the situation, Kawasaki STX-15F Jet Ski's are utilized. These are transported by a modified Ford F450 trucks customized by MasterBodyWorks with the ability to store the zodiac either up above the roof or (the preferred method) tow a trailer capable of carrying 1 zodiac and 2 jet ski's.

So to summarize, they are berthed at stations along the water front, and the LAFD divers are assigned to that boat. They are not vehicle transportable, and there is no "dive apparatus." The Fire Boats and divers and the SWR are two completely SEPARATE entities and not all, in fact, most SWR's are not SCUBA rescue trained nor certified.

Kinda disappointing, I expected more. Now don't get me wrong they look nice, I just expected something similar to the usual coast guard boats (not the huge ones, the smaller ones). That looks like a fishing boat, kind of slow, I know its not though.

I believe you're talking about the 25ft RB-S Defender Class which has a top speed of somewhere over 40-45 knots utilizing two 225 hp outboard motors. The Kvichaks are almost twice as big, and much heavier, and perform a much different task with the ability to function as a dive platform and firefighting apparatus. Their top speed is around 29knots. The Defenders are more of a high speed patrol craft and don't have the same function or capabilities as either the fire boats or the SWR zodiacs.

@LACityFFengineCo287, I mean offense, but I thought you were a LAFD FF?

Normally I'd say wait for that section to be finished, but since someone has taken the time to post misinformation, I might as well clear it up now.

I appreciate all the effort you put in to your explanations. There always very interesting reads.

Do you by chance have any pics of the the F-450s you guys use?

If you wondering what I meant by "dive apparatus" 2 of our county departments here utilize apertures such as an old box shape Ford E350 Road Rescue ambulance for divers to suit up in route to the boat ramps and, in the case of this particular apertures, it pulls there Jet Skis. I could elaborate a bit more, but I doubt you care :P

I appreciate all the effort you put in to your explanations. There always very interesting reads.

Do you by chance have any pics of the the F-450s you guys use?

If you wondering what I meant by "dive apparatus" 2 of our county departments here utilize apertures such as an old box shape Ford E350 Road Rescue ambulance for divers to suit up in route to the boat ramps and, in the case of this particular apertures, it pulls there Jet Skis. I could elaborate a bit more, but I doubt you care :P

Full walkarounds of the newer and older SWR trucks, along with the jet skis and trailer, can be found at

http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=5...ater&m=text

And you asked if there was dive apertures (you do realize aperture means a small hole through which light passes right?), I took that to mean that you were asking if there were any lafd dive vehicles, and the answer is no.

I don't have all the information in the world like someone *Cough* Mike *Cough* I'm still pretty new XD

Mike probably pulls up a district map and looks at every apparatus @ each station zZz and works County. You and my Step-grandfather would get along well...

And Xplorer, what do you mean by "I mean offense"?

Either clarify, or, face consiquences ^^

Full walkarounds of the newer and older SWR trucks, along with the jet skis and trailer, can be found at

http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=5...ater&m=text

And you asked if there was dive apertures (you do realize aperture means a small hole through which light passes right?), I took that to mean that you were asking if there were any lafd dive vehicles, and the answer is no.

Thanks for the pics.

My bad on the typo :P

I don't have all the information in the world like someone *Cough* Mike *Cough* I'm still pretty new XD

Mike probably pulls up a district map and looks at every apparatus @ each station zZz and works County. You and my Step-grandfather would get along well...

And Xplorer, what do you mean by "I mean offense"?

Either clarify, or, face consiquences ^^

I meant I wasnt trying to offend you but your knowledge of LAFD seems rather lacking for being an LAFD FF.

And I pull up district maps of my area when I listen to my scanner :P But we only have about 20 trucks in the city, and most stations only have a pump or a quint so its not hard, and the county stations are split up where its rather easy to look up.

Thanks for the pics.

My bad on the typo :P

I meant I wasnt trying to offend you but your knowledge of LAFD seems rather lacking for being an LAFD FF.

And I pull up district maps of my area when I listen to my scanner :P But we only have about 20 trucks in the city, and most stations only have a pump or a quint so its not hard, and the county stations are split up where its rather easy to look up.

There's 16 battalions in all between City & County (repeat, used to be 18 battalions), there are harbor stations, there are splits between the numbers, some are shut down. Mike, correct me if I'm wrong, but here's the open stations. Station 1-21, 23-29, 33-44, 46-111, and then there's the harbor station, which is 112. There's some stations that have reserve engines, some don't. It's hard to keep track of whats where sometimes. Here's The battallion division. I went through some papers. I didn't see it posted before.

Battalion # 1 Stations: 3,4,9,10,11,17

Battalion # 2 Stations: 12,42,44,50,55,56

Battalion # 3 Stations: 14,15,21,26,34,46

Battalion # 4 Stations: 5,51,62,63,67,80,95

Battalion # 5 Stations: 27,35,41,52,76,82

Battalion # 6 Stations: 36,38,40,48,49,85, 101,110,111,112

Battalion # 7 Stations: 1,2,16,25,47

Battalion # 9 Stations: 19,23,37,59,69,71

Battalion # 10 Stations: 39,83,88,90,99,109

Battalion # 11 Stations: 6,11,13,20,29

Battalion # 12 Stations: 7,24,31,74,75,77,81,91,98

Battalion # 13 Stations: 33,57,64,65,66,79

Battalion # 14 Stations: 60,78,86,89,97,102,108

Battalion # 15 Stations: 8,18,28,70,87,96,103,104,107

Battalion # 17 Stations: 72,73,84,93,100,105,106

Battalion # 18 Stations: 43,58,61,68,92,94

Station 31's design is probably one of my favorites. Too bad it was closed (a long time ago, had great archetectural design).

This has absolutely no use to the game unless: A.) You add in a whole new map that's massive; B.) You want 106 stations on your map.

There's some stations that have reserve engines, some don't.

Reserve apparatus are kept and assigned at the shops and many are kept at FS88 due to its size, stations can switch over to reserve apparatus as needed on a temporary basis, or be assigned them in a surge capacity as mentioned in the guide.

. I went through some papers. I didn't see it posted before.

Battalion # 15 Stations: 8,18,28,70,87,96,103,104,107

Battalion # 17 Stations: 72,73,84,93,100,105,106

You need to get new papers, I didn't look through all of them, but a real key that your papers are outdated is always station 100 and 104. 100's has been in B10 for quite some time, and 104s is in 17s. Also, what about FS114?

This has absolutely no use to the game

Exactly, which is why you hadn't seen it posted before, and I'm not quite sure why you did now. But thank you for your contribution anyways. If people are interested, when I get to that part of the guide, I'd be glad to add a current list of stations and breakdowns to the section though, like you said, knowing what number is where really gives no insight into anything and can easily be found by googling. What will be included in that section, and I'll probably work on it tonight, will be a complete breakdown of the various types of stations (regional / standard / satellite), and a quick blurb regarding Prop F and Prop Q.

You need to get new papers, I didn't look through all of them, but a real key that your papers are outdated is always station 100 and 104. 100's has been in B10 for quite some time, and 104s is in 17s. Also, what about FS114?

Exactly, which is why you hadn't seen it posted before, and I'm not quite sure why you did now. But thank you for your contribution anyways. If people are interested, when I get to that part of the guide, I'd be glad to add a current list of stations and breakdowns to the section though, like you said, knowing what number is where really gives no insight into anything and can easily be found by googling. What will be included in that section, and I'll probably work on it tonight, will be a complete breakdown of the various types of stations (regional / standard / satellite), and a quick blurb regarding Prop F and Prop Q.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention. I found those in my filing cabinet. I was just going through some old stuff that I had from college and high school. It's pretty amazing with the stuff I've found. That may have been my step-dads or something. Idk. I have a new one somewhere, probably under a ton of papers in my den. I posted it because 1. I was bored. 2. I'm surprised that I actually have that. 3. It gives me something to type. I've got nothing to do after I do my morning workout, except workout more or clean up my house, and it's already straightened up. I've written tons of useless things.

Sorry, I forgot 114, lol. Air ops and Airport fire, it's battalion 10. I'll update the list later if you want. It'll just take some digging.. Oh yeah, you can't google this btw. I have a full list as well as a bunch of other cr@p if you want it, you probably have it all though...

Just a point mike:

Listening LAFD and other SoCal dispatches (both recorded and some live), and I've never heard them use "RA" only rescue.

Verdugo dispatch and the other local departments only use "RA".

Perhaps you've heard differently I'm sure they probably use it at times...Just an observation.

Also I posted most of the dispatch terms I've come across here here

I may have gotten some horribly wrong. I'm curious if they match up to what you are used to.

Just a point mike:

Listening LAFD dispatches (both recorded and some live), and I've never heard them use "RA" only rescue.

Verdugo dispatch and the other local departments only use "RA".

Perhaps you've heard differently I'm sure they probably use it at times...Just an observation.

Also I posted most of the dispatch terms I've come across here here

I may have gotten some horribly wrong. I'm curious if they match up to what you are used to.

It depends on the dispatcher. Some give RA, others give rescue. It depends on the Dispatcher and the day. With the "800", Some days someone will say 800 ambulance , once in a while, you'll get someone who says BLS ambulance, which is on the less common side, and 800 RA. There's a noon dispatcher whose pretty enthusiastic about dispatching. He's used RA before, though not as common as rescue.