MikeyPI

Reskinning Vehicle(s)

Guest shadowhunter388

Hi I am using photoshop CS3 Extended and I follow the steps and turned it into a jpeg and I made a second layer and got the paint bucket and put it on the tool that colors over the colored parts of the vehical and when I save that Nivida thing comes up so I choose .DDS and it says somthing about the power of four. Oh and is it also normal that when you open it up it photoshop it shows the same pic like five of them but going from large to small? Please help its holding me up from a skin I want to do. Thanks for reading.

-Michael

Hey there NHFD, I think the extension you are using is wrong, its suppose to be .v3o not .v30. In other words, the zero is suppose to be a o as in the word oh. If you don't understand what I mean, just copy and paste this.. ambulance01.v3o .. when you rename the file.

Hey jsutton, Thanks all my file extentions were correct, I just typed it wrong on this post sorry

Guest dionissimus

Oh and is it also normal that when you open it up it photoshop it shows the same pic like five of them but going from large to small?

-Michael

Welcome to mipmapping : ) Basically, when you are far from the texture, it shows you a rougher version, saving resources. Google for "mipmap wiki" and read up.

in the first part says : You have to rename the file to something else and change the extension from dds to v3o, this will allow the editor to unpack the file making it readable by Photoshop or a dds converter.

but how can i change the extension dds to v30??

in the first part says : You have to rename the file to something else and change the extension from dds to v3o, this will allow the editor to unpack the file making it readable by Photoshop or a dds converter.

Do you have windows vista?

If you have Windows Vista or 7: Right click the file, click on Properties. Click security and then click edit. Go to Users and click the allow box for full control. Then try saving the editied file, it should now work.

Win7

As far as I can remember XP/Vista/7 all "hide" the file extension from the user unless told not to do this. What I mean is, that "Readme.txt" shows only as "Readme" the .txt portion is hidden from view, in order to correct this, go into "My Computer" I'm not sure if you can see the file menu at the top, if not I think it's F10 to display the File Menu.... Under Tools You will find Folder Options. In the View Tab of Folder Options find the checkbox with "Hide Extensions for known File Types", UNCHECK that and press ok, you can now see the extensions and rename the files to whatever you need them to be.

When you change the .dds to .V3O you will get a warning pop-up that says:

If you change a file extension, the file may become unusable
Are you sure you want to change it?

Yes is the answer you need to choose.

From there load the editor and UNPACK the file and then rename it back to DDS you can now edit the skin.

Have you tried what I said in the previous post. I know that works for Windows 7 because I have Windows 7.

Trying it now...

excl.gif EDIT: I did it but the LA logo keeps showing up even if I cover it up. same with the number on the trunk.

How do I get rid of these?

BTW: How do I edit a door? (the paint on it)

Trying it now...

excl.gif EDIT: I did it but the LA logo keeps showing up even if I cover it up. same with the number on the trunk.

How do I get rid of these?

BTW: How do I edit a door? (the paint on it)

The door file is linked to the original skin of the LAPD car (if you look in your folder, there will be a file for each door the LAPD car but not for the car you skinned). To change the paint on the doors you either have to re-paint the LAPD car (which you probably don't want to do) or you can try and make new doors(or copy them?) and assign it to your car so the skin of that body shows up on the doors. Now linking the door file to the skin is easy, how ever I am having trouble myself making a set of doors for the car I am working on. Hopefully some one can help us on that issue.

The door file is linked to the original skin of the LAPD car (if you look in your folder, there will be a file for each door the LAPD car but not for the car you skinned). To change the paint on the doors you either have to re-paint the LAPD car (which you probably don't want to do) or you can try and make new doors(or copy them?) and assign it to your car so the skin of that body shows up on the doors. Now linking the door file to the skin is easy, how ever I am having trouble myself making a set of doors for the car I am working on. Hopefully some one can help us on that issue.

Ya, I was trting to make my home city's PD car but the doors and trunck wouldn't change. I've been putting it off till I can get help.

i don't understant this :

You have to rename the file to something else and change the extension from dds to v3o, this will allow the editor to unpack the file making it readable by Photoshop or a dds converter.

i jus don't understand, can somebody explain me easyer , for a person that doesn't know alot of computers?

In order to Reskin a vehicle from the LA Mod you will have to "unlock" the dds file(s) that are required for the vehicle, for this example we will be asking to reskin one of the many crown victorias. In this example the CHP Vic.

First you must Unlock the dds file, in order to do this you must find the dds file that you wish to alter which would be located in the following folder:

Game Install\Mods\LA MOD 1.8\Models\Vehicles\03 LA Police\cv_chp.dds (some vehicles have multiple texture files)

You have to rename the file to something else and change the extension from dds to v3o, this will allow the editor to unpack the file making it readable by Photoshop or a dds converter.

Due to the fact that most vehicles have the same name for the Vehicle model and the dds Texture file, it is advisable to name it something such as follows:

cv_chp.dds to cv_chpt.v3o

Now, you need to open the editor, load the modification and then select "unpack file" again you will have to navigate to the same folder but the editor shows the folder structure a bit different:

Mod:Models\Vehicles\03 LA Police\

Find your renamed dds which for the example is cv_chpt.v3o and press ok, this will unpack the file so you may edit it.

Now you need to rename the file back to dds, in order for the vehicle model file to recognize the texture be sure to rename it back to what it originally was, which in this example is cv_chp.dds

Once this is done you then have to either convert the dds file using a dds converter (one is available in our downloads section) or import it using Photoshop.

Convert/save the image to whatever format you wish to use, .BMP, .PNG, .TGA, etc. whichever you prefer and open it in the painting application of your choosing and alter it as necessary to do whatever you wish to do to the vehicle skin.

Now you have to take your texture and turn it back into the dds file for the model file which accompanies the vehicle to recognize it's new texture.

Ensure that all of the dds files you have changed are in the folder where they belong and when you load the editor you should see your newly skinned vehicle there now.

i dont understand nothing of this so someone can make a video about this?

I have tried lots of different police vehicles and none work, I am doing the following steps:

1. C: Program Files (x86)/ Wizard Works/ 911 First Responders/ Mods/ Los Angeles Mod 2.0/ Models/ Vehicles/ 03 LA Police

2. bpat_tahoe.dds changing to bpat_tahoe11.v3o Hidden extentions is unchecked..I also went into the properties of the file and it confirms the change from dds to v3o. I also get the "changing the file type will make it unstable" message.

3. Start the editor, load LA mod 2.0, click on modifications and then unpack file, find my bpat_tahoe11.v3o and click unpack.

4. Exit the editor and go back into

C: Program Files (x86)/ Wizard Works/ 911 First Responders/ Mods/ Los Angeles Mod 2.0/ Models/ Vehicles/ 03 LA Police I find bpat_tahoe11.v3o and change it back to bpat_tahoe.dds

5. Try to use the DDS converter found in this forums download section to convert the bpat_tahoe.dds file and I get the following error....Conversion from [DDS] to [JPG] Started.. Error: cannot load [bpat_tahoe.dds] Conversion has failed.. I have tried the other options like bmp as well.

6. Try using paint.net to import and I get the following error: There was an unspecified error while opening the file.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong please.

I have tried lots of different police vehicles and none work, I am doing the following steps:

1. C: Program Files (x86)/ Wizard Works/ 911 First Responders/ Mods/ Los Angeles Mod 2.0/ Models/ Vehicles/ 03 LA Police

2. bpat_tahoe.dds changing to bpat_tahoe11.v3o Hidden extentions is unchecked..I also went into the properties of the file and it confirms the change from dds to v3o. I also get the "changing the file type will make it unstable" message.

3. Start the editor, load LA mod 2.0, click on modifications and then unpack file, find my bpat_tahoe11.v3o and click unpack.

4. Exit the editor and go back into

C: Program Files (x86)/ Wizard Works/ 911 First Responders/ Mods/ Los Angeles Mod 2.0/ Models/ Vehicles/ 03 LA Police I find bpat_tahoe11.v3o and change it back to bpat_tahoe.dds

5. Try to use the DDS converter found in this forums download section to convert the bpat_tahoe.dds file and I get the following error....Conversion from [DDS] to [JPG] Started.. Error: cannot load [bpat_tahoe.dds] Conversion has failed.. I have tried the other options like bmp as well.

6. Try using paint.net to import and I get the following error: There was an unspecified error while opening the file.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong please.

You would have definitely renamed it correctly and unpacked it, but maybe you accidentally had overwritten or renamed the wrong file back to dds. What I do is copy the dds file to C:\ and rename it to v3o there. Then I go into the editor and without loading the Los Angeles mod I go unpack file, C:\, bpat_tahoe.v3o and close the editor, rename back to dds and open it (in Paint.net

You know what I think you may be right, in fact I hope you are right. I keep forgetting there is already a bpat_tahoe.v3o file in there so maybe I am renaming the wrong one. I'll try moving the file out and see what happens, thank you.

Edit- Yes! I moved it to C: and did it, then opened with paint.net and bam got my tahoe. Onto the next steps thank you guys so much. Now comes the really hard part I have no idea how to use paint lol more learning.

Edit-- Is there an easier way to change the base color of a vehicle using paint.net? Right now I'm using the paint brush and the little pixle grid thing and square by square changing the border patrol tahoe to blue..if I use the paint bucket tool it gets rid of the textures for door handles and alot of other things. Turns the whole truck blue basically and it looks 2D because all the shading gets changed too. Sorry for dumb question but the little helper videos for paint aren't helping at all.