MikeyPI

Emergency Questions

This topic was created to help filter questions regarding equiptment and tactics used by all the emergency agencies away from modding topics and into a unified field where all manner of questions can be asked and hopefully answered by others who know alot more than I do about the different tools used in the trade. Feel free to use this topic to ask about the purpose of a vehicle regardless of region, the uses of equiptment, and the purpose of personnel. Hopefully others will have a good idea of what they do and what they are called.

NYPD traffic unit is like the CHP

Maybe it is the language difference, but I'm curious what you mean. By NYPD Traffic, do you mean the NYPD Auxiliary unit pictured? By like, do you mean the vehicles are similar, even though one is a 2007 Chevy Impala and CHP uses Ford Crown Vics? Do you mean like as in similar lightbars, because yes they both do use Federal Signal Visions. Or do you mean like as in duties? NYPD Aux officers are more like the police in the original game in that they do not carry firearms, and their main function is as a reserve force to increase manpower in an area and assist the NYPD in general law enforcement duties. The CHP on the other hand are full time peace officers, carry firearms, and perform Law Enforcement duties on freeways, highways, and are contracted as the sole law enforcement for many outlying unincorporated areas. When they absorbed the California State Police, they also took over all duties as the sole State Police Agency.

The relationship between the NYPD auxiliary and the LA DOT Traffic and Parking Enforcement Bureau is very close though. The DOT officers do not carry firearms and respond to many police and fire incidents for traffic control, erect barricades, and the like. The major difference is that the Auxiliary acts more like an LAPD reserve officer and has much greater powers of arrest and responsibility then the DOT officers.

But I just don't see any correlation or similarity between the NYPD Auxiliary and the CHP in duty, size or function.

NYPD traffic unit is like the CHP

The NYPD traffic unit is not like CHP. NYPD traffic units only do things like write tickets and direct traffic at busy intersections. I believe the reason they drive the dark blue police cars like the Ax. Officers is that they don't carry fire arms like the AUX. The NYPD unit that is most similar to CHP is the NYPD Highway patrol. They patrol the highways and in the NYPD's jurisdiction and provide law enforcement. Highway Patrol officers do carry firearms and have full police powers.

NYPD Traffic Unit SUV

NYC_NYPD_Times_Square.jpg

NYPD Highway Patrol

nypd-pc.jpg

notice the extra pieces on the light bar, it's the eaisest way to identify one of the highway patroll units

The bar on the roof of the NYPD Highway Patrol is called something like a High-Riser, it is a pretty cool light, the thing has two arms that can tilt upward to give it better lighting visibility, one on each side. The NYPD Aux/Traffic are nadda like the Los Angeles units to me.

It's to my knowledge a Vision bar with an attatchment bar setup behind it that is a high-riser setup. Removed Pictures thanks to mikesphotos putting up the supplier's website.

Thank you, Mike's Photos I never knew who made the bar so you've educated me I just remember it from modelling it a long time ago. I did not know they made a LED varient either I figured they would recycle them as long as humanly possible. Thnx for posting more information on it, perhaps it will teach those who were interested in it about it :1046275747_biggthumpup:

Srry for the late responce, I discoveredthe topic late.

I thaught (hopefully the correct past time op think) that NYPD Traffic and NYPD Highway patrol where the same

nope, like I said before, NYPD traffic writes tickets and handels the towing to NYPD impound. Highway Patrol is like a regular police officer who patrols the highway.

can anyone tell me the difference between a State Trooper and a Highway Patrolman? cause in Missouri, i found out today that MO Highway Patrol and Troopers have dif colored cars

Depending on the State... Trooper job handle any thing that is State Own.

If its not a State Highway?

Then its a Highway Patrol man thats hired for other Highways... Maybe it a local government?

Or that they are both own by the State but in 2 different departments.

Sometime the DOT would hire or have their own Highway Patrol Department.

Guest policemedicFF

a quint is as follows:

The National Fire Protection Association has outlined the requirements for a piece of apparatus to function as a quint. The specifications come from the NFPA standard 1901, The Standard for Automotive Fire Apparatus. Quint requirements are detailed in Chapter 9 of the standard, and are summarized below.

Fire pump

A pump with a minimum capacity of 1000 gpm (~4000 L/min).

Aerial device

An aerial ladder or elevating platform with a permanently installed waterway.

Water tank

A tank with a minimum capacity of 300 gallons (1100 L).

Equipment storage

A minimum of 40 cubic feet (1.1 cubic meters) of enclosed compartmentation.

Hose storage

A minimum of 30 cubic feet (.8 cubic meters) of storage area for 2.5 inch (65 mm) or larger fire hose.

Two areas, each with a minimum of 3.5 cubic feet (.1 cubic meters) for 1.5 inch (38 mm) or preconnected fire hose lines.

Ground ladders

A minimum of 85 feet (26 meters) of ground ladders, including at least:

One extension ladder

One roof ladder

One attic ladder

Suction hose

A minimum of 15 feet (4.5 meters) of soft suction hose or 20 feet (6 meters) of hard suction hose for drafting.

Minor equipment

Fire hose and nozzles

Hose

A minimum of 800 feet (240 meters) of 2.5 inch (65 mm) or larger fire hose.

A minimum of 400 feet (120 meters) of 1.5 inch (38 mm), 1.75 inch (45 mm), or 2 inch (52 mm) hose.

Nozzles

One combination spray nozzle, 200 gpm (750 L/min) minimum.

Two combination spray nozzles, 95 gpm (360 L/min) minimum.

One playpipe nozzle with shutoff and 1 inch (25 mm), 1.125 inch (29 mm), and 1.24 inch (32 mm) tips.

Miscellaneous equipment

One 6 pound flathead axe

One 6 pound pickhead axe

One 6 foot (2 meter) pike pole or plaster hook

One 8 foot (2.4 meter) or longer pike pole or plaster hook

Two portable hand lights

One dry chemical fire extinguisher with a minimum 80-B:C rating

One 2.5 gallon (9.5 L) or larger water extinguisher

One pump intake connection with supply-hose compatible threads

One SCBA for every seating position (minimum four)

One spare SCBA cylinder for every SCBA carried

One first aid kit

Four spanner wrenches

Two hydrant wrenches

Two double female adapters

Two double male adapters

One rubber mallet

Four salvage covers, each a minimum size of 12 feet x 14 feet (3.7 m x 4.3 m)

Four ladder belts

One 150 foot (45 meter) light-use safety rope

One 150 foot (45 meter) general-use safety rope

Two wheel chocks

we have 1 at Beaumont fire, and another on order to replace the one that was rolled over by a 17 y/o punk who stole it and flipped it because he was "cold and tired of walking".....not to worry he took the loooonnnggg way to the jail and that was more injuring then the rooling over of the quint...lol

-jimmy b.

a quint is as follows:

we have 1 at Beaumont fire, and another on order to replace the one that was rolled over by a 17 y/o punk who stole it and flipped it because he was "cold and tired of walking".....not to worry he took the loooonnnggg way to the jail and that was more injuring then the rooling over of the quint...lol

-jimmy b.

Are you saying he stole a Big Engine? lol

Did he hot wire it? Was it at night? Don't you guys bring your Engines inside at night?

Was the keys in it?

Don't you have some guy who answers the phone and watchs the Engines from the front desk?

Its oddly silly I think.... Not like we are playing GTA game here?

Guest policemedicFF

Yep he stole a ladder.......quint 9........ladders and pumpers do not have keys...they have a battery switch and an ignition button. it was on a med call at night and the 3 firefighters were inside we leave them running. he jumped in and drove through a brick fence and about 3 miles then rolled it . $750,000 USD strap metal now.

question for Mike, I found a video for a State Hospital ERT, and in the video, they appear to be sitting in a L.A. County Fire Helicopter (based on the paint scheme and the words L.A. County on the side). out of curiosity, what are they and what do they do?

State Hospital ERT video

California State Hospitals are State run Mental Health Institutions. I believe those guys are from the Metropolitan State Hospital in Norwalk. The training they're doing shows an Antelope Valley College Police car but what they do and why they go through that kind of training, I have no idea. I can only fathom that it is in case the happy residents take over the facility or something.

can anyone tell me the difference between a State Trooper and a Highway Patrolman? cause in Missouri, i found out today that MO Highway Patrol and Troopers have dif colored cars

Like others have said, different states, different names, different duties. At one time in California we had both a California State Police and Highway Patrol. The CSP were mainly an investigative and security force in the state. They patrolled the state capitol buildings, the Aqueducts, protection duties for state officials, and also had an investigative arm that helped small cities that couldn't afford one.

The highway patrol on the other hand was a more active law enforcement branch that patroled unincorporated parts of the state, the freeways, the highways, and had active elements such as K9 units, Bomb Squads and SWAT like teams.

In 1995, the two departments merged with the Highway patrol absorbing the functions and duties of the State Police.

Back to topic... I have question....

In the game.... What you say is the normal size of the EM Engine? Like whats it height, width, and Long you say it is? If its unknown? What the size of the Engine its base off of? I need to see if my Engine is bigger, smaller, or same size.