MikeyPI

Emergency Questions

So the transport isn't code 3?

I would probably panic if i saw an ambulance that isn't regular such as a military ambulance like that. They're pretty big and scary

Not all transports, no need to floor it on the way to the hospital for something minor, lots of ambulance calls are bull anyway. Some folks see the ambulance as more of a taxi. But yeah, just treat a ambulance without its lights on as just another midsized truck on the road. Not every ambulance on the roads is going to a emergency, some may be going to lunch, transferring a vehicle, going to a PR event or something.

No, i agree with the usual ambulance stuff.

But this is most likely a huge land rover in camo

Nope it was a small old ambulance. White, Ambulance written on the side, blue lights and a two tone horn (more than a few years ago, when my dad was an MOD driver). But because of cutbacks they completely took the military out of where I live and my dad does not have a job. 

Sorry for double post but i think it can be forgiven, i have these two questions:

What does break+cover mean, and what does it mean when fire/ems 'stages'?

When say a police officer moves from one spot to another making a BREAK and he is COVERED by other officers. STAGE is where EMS/FIRE wait a small distance from a scene till it is secured by the police, i.e. Pt with a weapon.

Hello!
I've just been playing the/an Amsterdam Mod and I've noticed a couple of lighting things that caught my eye and I wondered about:
Firstly, lots of ambulances, some police and some fire units have a small green light that can be turned on. I Googled this and saw that it is used on the first Ambulance Unit attending a Multiple Unit call, is this the same for the Police and Fire, does it demonstrate 'Command'? Also, does Multiple Unit mean Multiple Agencies, e.g. if an Ambulance arrives first at a Fire Call, does he show green until, presumably, he's outranked by a Fire Chief (equivalent)?
Secondly, a lot of Units can show amber lights, I had assumed this was in addition to blue as 'Directional Lights'/'Rear Reds' type things, but most appear to flash in the same housing as the Blues, almost as if the LEDs are dual colour i.e. you can only see one or other at a time, so what do they indicate?
Just a 'wondering :)

The OC-D

Hey all, I apologize if this question has been answered at least once before but I have one for our members in the UK. Does the fire service generally respond to accidents without entrapment but with injuries? It seems from all of the videos and TV shows that I've seen that if there are only minor injuries or if the police get there long before any other services do, that only the ambulance service responds. I suppose it's logical from a fiscal standpoint, it just seems quite different from here, where the fire department (with the exception of places in NY where the ESU handles some accidents and places such as NJ where rescue squads exist) respond to almost all accidents with injuries regardless of entrapment.

Hey all, I apologize if this question has been answered at least once before but I have one for our members in the UK. Does the fire service generally respond to accidents without entrapment but with injuries? It seems from all of the videos and TV shows that I've seen that if there are only minor injuries or if the police get there long before any other services do, that only the ambulance service responds. I suppose it's logical from a fiscal standpoint, it just seems quite different from here, where the fire department (with the exception of places in NY where the ESU handles some accidents and places such as NJ where rescue squads exist) respond to almost all accidents with injuries regardless of entrapment.

The fire service responds if there is entrappment, risk of fire, need extra hands or the AA/RAC/Green flag/others need special equipment. They also respond if they are the only emergency near by.

The reason the Fire Departments over the pond respond is because the FD also handles a lot of EMS, not just fire, like you'll often see Engines responding to completely fire-less calls because they're also medical teams.

Here in the UK, firefighters know basic first aid and there is no Fire ambulances, only the county NHS service.

As an addendum to Handsup!'s point, a number of Fire Stations are now running Co-Responder schemes that can either dispatch a dedicated vehicle or a Fire Engine to a Medical Call.

There are some yellow ones left. Also, not all of them are red, Newcastle's are purple and white, just go on UKEV and look under 'Airport Fire' :)

Also, Grampian's White Engines are or have been phased out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-21938388

EDIT: Link 404's for me, but you can search for a BBC article on it :)

The OC-D

I think that it is almost standard practice in the US to see Fire respond to MVAs. Maybe not always in an engine though. I was takeing pics out at one of the county volly stations a few years ago when they got an MVA call with no extrication. They sent 4 or 5 guys so sending the rescue unit was out of the question as it is a 2 man cab. Could have sent the engine, could have sent the quint(but really would have been unpractical imo), but they responded code 3 in a Ford F350 Rescue unit(similar to the HES from the LA Mod). In the city though an Engine or a Quint(most stations contain only a single engine or quint) almost always responds to MVAs. If extrication is needed, one of two rescue trucks are dispatched. Ambulance service is handled by AMR both in the city and county(with one exception of part of the county).

here in Australia it depends if you are in metro or rural (where I live)

metro = ambulance, paramedic, 2 fire engines , rescue, police and a ambulance helicopter if needed.

rural = ambulance, paramedic, ambulance helicopter, fire engines from the closest town and if the local fire department does not do rcr then ses rescue and police