MikeyPI

Display Issues from altering resolution

For those of you who have had issues with 911:FR related to the Screen Resolution in any way including failure to load, hopefully this section will help you out:

1).Screen Flashes and crashes to desktop is most likely caused by either incompatible drivers/video card or possibly the following issue: Your screen Resolution is higher than what your video card supports (or monitor).

The way to solve this if you do not wish to uninstall/delete the files and reinstall is fairly easy if you follow the directions below.

Open em4.cfg in Notepad (ensure that the document is not read-only at this time and that the user profile you are in can modify it).

<var name="r_xres" value="----" />

<var name="r_yres" value="---" />

the "----" is the resolution you have selected, you can manually enter in any value you want, but it is recommended that you choose either what your current screen resolution is, or below it. For EX: X:800 Y:600 as a safe number.

Should you choose to change it to a custom value, you may want to make your CFG. File a "Read-Only" Document, this is done by right clicking on the document and selecting properties and clicking read-only.

If you want to make your game run in windowed mode, change this value:

<var name="r_fullscreen" value="1" />

1=True

0=False

My screen runs in an unusual resolution so I had to manually type in my screen resolution in order for it to fill my widescreen monitor properly. I hope this helps any of you who either made the mistake of choosing a screen res too high for your hardware, or those of you with issues related to the screen not being filled completely.

• Upvote 1

Hi there,

I have a little bit annoying problem, related with display... it's the refresh rate.

My resolution is 1280x1024, the card is a Gainward 8800GT with 1GB Ram. But this doesn't matter :), because this problem exists since I'm installed EM4.

I'm using a refresh rate of 100Mhz on a "19 CRT monitor. However, 911 doesn't want to use this, always changing back to around 75-85. Couldn't even check though. I've looked into the config file and of course did not find any line related with the refresh rate. The resolution is there, but nothing else.

Any of you have any ideas what can I do to prevent the game overriding my refresh rate?

Prevoiously I had Windows XP SP2, now I have Vista, doesn't matter, the problem still comes. :s

I cannot find any controller for the refresh rate in the configuration files, which probrably means it is coded to use a default program rate rather than the desktop rate that is common on many other games out there :1046275873_shakehead:

Hi there,

I have a little bit annoying problem, related with display... it's the refresh rate.

My resolution is 1280x1024, the card is a Gainward 8800GT with 1GB Ram. But this doesn't matter :), because this problem exists since I'm installed EM4.

I'm using a refresh rate of 100Mhz on a "19 CRT monitor. However, 911 doesn't want to use this, always changing back to around 75-85. Couldn't even check though. I've looked into the config file and of course did not find any line related with the refresh rate. The resolution is there, but nothing else.

Any of you have any ideas what can I do to prevent the game overriding my refresh rate?

Prevoiously I had Windows XP SP2, now I have Vista, doesn't matter, the problem still comes. :s

Seems to be you are right guys :(

I can hardly imagine that the game was optimized for only LCD monitors, but seems to be really this is the case :s. The strange thing is...all my other games are working perfectly with the desktop refresh rate, even 10 years old games like Panzer General 2 lol :)

Let's hope EM5 will be more user friendly. Thank you for your answers :)

Most older games use the desktop's default refresh rate instead of their own independent one, then again most "older" games also have the option of hardware and software modes built into them as well, with most of these newer games they tend to go one of two routes: a. they have a "configuration" app that will change the settings according to what you tell it to (the prefered option). B. they automatically go with a limited selection of settings you can choose between, which is popular for a multitude of reasons, in this case I have a feeling it was to help save money and the fact this game was designed more or less as an out of the box game type, so in trying to meet most people's needs they did not think about the unique cases like yours and mine. Sorry we could'nt help.

Seems to be you are right guys :(

I can hardly imagine that the game was optimized for only LCD monitors, but seems to be really this is the case :s. The strange thing is...all my other games are working perfectly with the desktop refresh rate, even 10 years old games like Panzer General 2 lol :)

Let's hope EM5 will be more user friendly. Thank you for your answers :)

Guest patty123

Hello im new on this site and i need help realy badly on la mod for em4 . I downloaded em4 and la mod but everytime i try to play the mod i dont see the map or the roads or the buldings only green lines can sumbody pleas help me i need to play that mod its looks realy cool and fun .thank you

Hello im new on this site and i need help realy badly on la mod for em4 . I downloaded em4 and la mod but everytime i try to play the mod i dont see the map or the roads or the buldings only green lines can sumbody pleas help me i need to play that mod its looks realy cool and fun .thank you

I thgink you're trying to load the mod in the editor, you can't play it there.

You need to start EM4, click on modifications, then select the LA mod and click on continue. After a while the mod is loaded and ready to play.

greetz,

For those of you who have had issues with 911:FR related to the Screen Resolution in any way including failure to load, hopefully this section will help you out:

1).Screen Flashes and crashes to desktop is most likely caused by either incompatible drivers/video card or possibly the following issue: Your screen Resolution is higher than what your video card supports (or monitor).

The way to solve this if you do not wish to uninstall/delete the files and reinstall is fairly easy if you follow the directions below.

Open em4.cfg in Notepad (ensure that the document is not read-only at this time and that the user profile you are in can modify it).

<var name="r_xres" value="----" />

<var name="r_yres" value="---" />

the "----" is the resolution you have selected, you can manually enter in any value you want, but it is recommended that you choose either what your current screen resolution is, or below it. For EX: X:800 Y:600 as a safe number.

Should you choose to change it to a custom value, you may want to make your CFG. File a "Read-Only" Document, this is done by right clicking on the document and selecting properties and clicking read-only.

If you want to make your game run in windowed mode, change this value:

<var name="r_fullscreen" value="1" />

1=True

0=False

My screen runs in an unusual resolution so I had to manually type in my screen resolution in order for it to fill my widescreen monitor properly. I hope this helps any of you who either made the mistake of choosing a screen res too high for your hardware, or those of you with issues related to the screen not being filled completely.

I tried editing it so it will be windowed but its not working. It seems to reset it self. any help?

I tried editing it so it will be windowed but its not working. It seems to reset it self. any help?

Be sure that you don't have the read only option on

(right click on the file)

Select properties(and left click)

Look in the bottom of the tab and see if the read only file is on.

Is so, deselect is press apply and ok.

Change the numbers, save it.

And you should be fine.

if that does not work.

Be sure that you open with "NOTEPAD"

any other editor program will dump codes(although not visable for you) in there.

That causes the file to overright it self with the defaults you set up eirler or even to safe mode.

tried it my self,

and all i can say is, Finaly, i can get my native resolution :cheers-mate:

em4 in 1920x1080 whoohoo

(EDIT)Lol never mind, just now saw the date

Guest Bartjedj

I have a similar problem: I opened my Editor, but as I was on MSN I switched off Fullscreen and adapted the resolution to fit my screen.

When I chose a certain resolution (can't remember which), the editor got stuck and crashed. It also won't reopen. Tried restarting, didn't work.

Can the settings of the editor also be modified? Think it is the only way to have it working again?

Edit: SOLVED: Same settings as the game.

i have the 911 first responders and when i tried to save the changed i made in the cfg it says access denined. can you tell me what is the problem?

Edited by pyrothijs
removed quote

i have the 911 first responders and when i tried to save the changed i made in the cfg it says access denined. can you tell me what is the problem?

If you are on windows Vista or 7 disable the UAC.

Else make sure you have all the rights to make changes to those files (right click on file --> propreties --> security tab).

If that doesn't help download notepad++ and use that to make the changes you desire.

If you are on windows Vista or 7 disable the UAC.

Else make sure you have all the rights to make changes to those files (right click on file --> propreties --> security tab).

If that doesn't help download notepad++ and use that to make the changes you desire.

i tried that but notepad says i maybe running em4.

i tried that but notepad says i maybe running em4.

Do you use the 'open with' function to open the file you are editing? Are you sure you only have one openend mcopy of the file at the time when you are working on it?

Guest towboss71

dont know if im posting in right spot, my game plays for a bit then crashes back to desktop closing the game, im not really computer literate, i only bought this game 911 to play hoppah's mod. The system im using it on is a toshiba x205 gaming laptop and all drivers are updated, it has invidia video card, 2 hard drives and plays anygame usually wihtout a problem, only game i cant get to load is railroad tycoon, anyways any help would be great, i keep reading about how to change the stuff here wondering if it pertains to me, but im really just lost. any help?

Guest Chargers2960

My monitor runs at 1400*900. I tried to change the resolution of the game to it, but it just flashes black and then closes. I put it at 1360*768 and it loaded fine. Anyone have any ideas why it won't run 1400*900?

Guest HenimeX

im trying to change my res in cfg file. it accept but nothing changes in gameplay. its a little wierd.

whats the differences between normal and deluxe edit ?

resulation support graphic support ?

I don't like bumping old threads, but my computer runs at 1367x768 so I changed it to that and when I go to play, the screen starts, then crashes.=( I hate playing in boxed mode.Even if I change my screen to match the game, it doesn't work.

I've found the fix for the black bars on the sides issue relating to the resolution after all of these years playing this game.  You have to right click on the game icon that launches the game, you then go to Properties, under that you go to Compatibility, under the settings, make sure the "Disable display scaling on high DPI setting is "Checked".  You will not be able to put any resolution you want in the .cfg file.