Hoppah

[EM4] Central suggestions/ideas topic (CLOSED)

LAX crashtender should carry the jaws. It makes sense that the crashtender would carry them to cut people out of airplanes (even though there's no such thing in EM4).
You don't normally need to.

IRL, the aircraft will either be in bits - in which case you can just walk in - or it will be intact and everyone inside will be either fine or dead.

LAX crashtender should carry the jaws. It makes sense that the crashtender would carry them to cut people out of airplanes (even though there's no such thing in EM4).

I don't know this for sure since I've never had experience with fire and crash rescue on commercial airplanes, but I think it would be dangerous to use jaws on a commercial plane, due to the fact that the plane could be pressurised and I assume if you cut into a pressurized plane, you'd get the same effect as letting helium out of a balloon.

Planes are only pressurized above altitudes of 8,000 feet: once they're on the ground, there is literally no pressure difference between the inside and the outside of the plane. Besides, if you're in a situation where you need to use the jaws of life on a plane, and just by chance the plane's pressurized, whatever situation you're dealing with would have probably broken the airtight seal anyway.

train crash mission?:

LOS ANGELES - Emergency crews found more victims early Saturday in the mangled wreckage of a commuter train that smashed head-on into a freight train, raising the death toll to 17 in the deadliest U.S. passenger train accident in 15 years.

Distraught relatives and friends of passengers awaited word on their loved ones as rescue workers delicately dismantled a crushed Metrolink passenger car in search of victims.

The search was expected to last into Sunday.

"Clearly the injuries are going to mount and so are the fatalities," Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said.

The cause of the Friday afternoon collision in suburban Chatsworth had not been determined.

A total of 135 people were injured with at least 82 taken to hospitals, many in serious or critical condition, fire officials said.

Worried relatives and friends gathered at nearby Chatsworth High School to wait for news, and the hallways occasionally erupted with sobbing as some learned that loved ones had died.

Debra Nieves was concerned about her sister, Donna Remata, 49, who worked in downtown Los Angeles.

"That was her train and she's not home," said Nieves, 41, of Long Beach. "But until I find out for sure that they found her, I'm not going to leave."

The impact rammed the Metrolink engine backward into a passenger car, which rested on its side with the engine still inside it early Saturday, and accordioned the freight train cars. Two other Metrolink cars remained upright. Crews had to put out a fire under part of the train.

During the night, the teams used hydraulic jacks to keep the passenger car from falling over and other specialized rescue equipment to gently tear apart the metal.

Bulldozers were used to raise the commuter train's engine and timbers were slid beneath it as firefighters worked to free a body pinned under the engine.

Fire Capt. Steve Ruda said the goal was to eliminate every piece of metal and gradually work into the passenger spaces of the double-decker rail car.

"There's human beings in there and it's going to be painstaking to get them out," Ruda said. "They'll have to surgically remove them."

His firefighters had never seen such carnage, he said.

"It's the worst feeling in the world because you know what you're going to find," said fire Capt. Alex Arriola, who had crawled into the bottom of the smashed passenger car. "You have to put aside the fact that it's someone's husband, daughter or friend."

Officials said there were 222 people on the Metrolink train and three Union Pacific employees aboard the freight train.

Asked how the two trains ended up on the same track, Steven Kulm, a spokesman for the Federal Railroad Administration: "We are nowhere near having any information on that."

Kulm said the federal investigation will be headed by the National Transportation Safety Board, while his agency will conduct a review of whether any federal rail safety regulations were violated.

Union Pacific spokeswoman Zoe Richmond said it is common in California for freight and commuter trains to use one track.

"You see it a lot in California where commuter trains share tracks with freight trains," Richmond said, adding she couldn't speculate about the cause of the crash.

Leslie Burnstein saw the crash from her home and heard screams of agony as she ran through a haze of smoke toward the wreckage. She pulled victims out one by one.

"It was horrendous," said Burnstein, a psychologist. "Blood was everywhere. ... I heard people yelling, screaming in pain, begging for help."

Metrolink spokeswoman Denise Tyrrell said the Metrolink train left Union Station in downtown Los Angeles and was headed northwest to Moorpark in Ventura County. The trains collided at about 4:30 p.m. in the Chatsworth area of the San Fernando Valley, near a 500-foot-long tunnel underneath Stoney Point Park.

On the north side of the tunnel, there is a siding, a length of track where one train can wait for another to pass, Tyrrell said.

"I do not know what caused the wreck," said Tyrrell who broke down crying and was shaking. "Obviously two trains are not supposed to be on the same track at the same time."

Until Friday, the worst disaster in Metrolink's history occurred on Jan. 26, 2005, in suburban Glendale when a man parked a gasoline-soaked SUV on railroad tracks. A Metrolink train struck the SUV and derailed, striking another Metrolink train traveling the other way, killing 11 people and injuring about 180 others. Juan Alvarez was convicted this year of murder for causing the crash.

That was the worst U.S. rail tragedy since March 15, 1999, when an Amtrak train hit a truck and derailed near Bourbonnais, Ill., killing 11 people and injuring more than 100.

The Sunset Limited was involved in the worst accident in Amtrak's 28-year history. On Sept. 22, 1993, 42 passengers and five crew members died when the train plunged off a trestle into a bayou near Mobile, Ala. The trestle had been damaged minutes earlier by a towboat.

2 points,

I have never been on a airport crash/rescue rig, but the issue with using jaws on a crash vehicle falls to the main purpose of the vehicle itself. It is to extinguish aircraft fires. jet fuel burning will consume an aircraft in a matter of minutes. I remember when I flew in C-141s in the USAF, the crash guys basically told us we have 3 minutes to get the hell out before the fire consumes the entire plane. So, when would you possibly have time to use jaws? The heat is so tremendously intense from the fires, that they can't even wear standard turnouts (hence the metallic looking gear). Jaws are not practical for aircraft fire fighting.

Second, and this is a big one to me. Lets NOT base missions off of current events. That train collision was a REAL event in which REAL PEOPLE have lost their lives. These people have families that are currently mourning their loss. It would ethically be a poor decision on our part to even think of making their tragedies into a game so soon after the event.

train crash mission?:

LOS ANGELES - Emergency crews found more victims early Saturday in the mangled wreckage of a commuter train that smashed head-on into a freight train, raising the death toll to 17 in the deadliest U.S. passenger train accident in 15 years.

Distraught relatives and friends of passengers awaited word on their loved ones as rescue workers delicately dismantled a crushed Metrolink passenger car in search of victims.

The search was expected to last into Sunday.

"Clearly the injuries are going to mount and so are the fatalities," Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said.

The cause of the Friday afternoon collision in suburban Chatsworth had not been determined.

A total of 135 people were injured with at least 82 taken to hospitals, many in serious or critical condition, fire officials said.

Worried relatives and friends gathered at nearby Chatsworth High School to wait for news, and the hallways occasionally erupted with sobbing as some learned that loved ones had died.

Debra Nieves was concerned about her sister, Donna Remata, 49, who worked in downtown Los Angeles.

"That was her train and she's not home," said Nieves, 41, of Long Beach. "But until I find out for sure that they found her, I'm not going to leave."

The impact rammed the Metrolink engine backward into a passenger car, which rested on its side with the engine still inside it early Saturday, and accordioned the freight train cars. Two other Metrolink cars remained upright. Crews had to put out a fire under part of the train.

During the night, the teams used hydraulic jacks to keep the passenger car from falling over and other specialized rescue equipment to gently tear apart the metal.

Bulldozers were used to raise the commuter train's engine and timbers were slid beneath it as firefighters worked to free a body pinned under the engine.

Fire Capt. Steve Ruda said the goal was to eliminate every piece of metal and gradually work into the passenger spaces of the double-decker rail car.

"There's human beings in there and it's going to be painstaking to get them out," Ruda said. "They'll have to surgically remove them."

His firefighters had never seen such carnage, he said.

"It's the worst feeling in the world because you know what you're going to find," said fire Capt. Alex Arriola, who had crawled into the bottom of the smashed passenger car. "You have to put aside the fact that it's someone's husband, daughter or friend."

Officials said there were 222 people on the Metrolink train and three Union Pacific employees aboard the freight train.

Asked how the two trains ended up on the same track, Steven Kulm, a spokesman for the Federal Railroad Administration: "We are nowhere near having any information on that."

Kulm said the federal investigation will be headed by the National Transportation Safety Board, while his agency will conduct a review of whether any federal rail safety regulations were violated.

Union Pacific spokeswoman Zoe Richmond said it is common in California for freight and commuter trains to use one track.

"You see it a lot in California where commuter trains share tracks with freight trains," Richmond said, adding she couldn't speculate about the cause of the crash.

Leslie Burnstein saw the crash from her home and heard screams of agony as she ran through a haze of smoke toward the wreckage. She pulled victims out one by one.

"It was horrendous," said Burnstein, a psychologist. "Blood was everywhere. ... I heard people yelling, screaming in pain, begging for help."

Metrolink spokeswoman Denise Tyrrell said the Metrolink train left Union Station in downtown Los Angeles and was headed northwest to Moorpark in Ventura County. The trains collided at about 4:30 p.m. in the Chatsworth area of the San Fernando Valley, near a 500-foot-long tunnel underneath Stoney Point Park.

On the north side of the tunnel, there is a siding, a length of track where one train can wait for another to pass, Tyrrell said.

"I do not know what caused the wreck," said Tyrrell who broke down crying and was shaking. "Obviously two trains are not supposed to be on the same track at the same time."

Until Friday, the worst disaster in Metrolink's history occurred on Jan. 26, 2005, in suburban Glendale when a man parked a gasoline-soaked SUV on railroad tracks. A Metrolink train struck the SUV and derailed, striking another Metrolink train traveling the other way, killing 11 people and injuring about 180 others. Juan Alvarez was convicted this year of murder for causing the crash.

That was the worst U.S. rail tragedy since March 15, 1999, when an Amtrak train hit a truck and derailed near Bourbonnais, Ill., killing 11 people and injuring more than 100.

The Sunset Limited was involved in the worst accident in Amtrak's 28-year history. On Sept. 22, 1993, 42 passengers and five crew members died when the train plunged off a trestle into a bayou near Mobile, Ala. The trestle had been damaged minutes earlier by a towboat.

That mission sound good.Yesterday on the news,I heard that there was a train crash in LA.

That mission sound good.Yesterday on the news,I heard that there was a train crash in LA.

The "mission" he wrote is the news story of the crash... but the death toll is up to 24 now. I watched it all unfold on TV yesterday and today. Worst train accident in 15 years here in the U.S.

On a side note, an LAPD officer was on the train and was killed. I was watching on tv when they pulled her body out and the rows after rows of officers and sheriffs who were saluting as her flag draped body was taken to an ambulance.

-d

The "mission" he wrote is the news story of the crash... but the death toll is up to 24 now. I watched it all unfold on TV yesterday and today. Worst train accident in 15 years here in the U.S.

On a side note, an LAPD officer was on the train and was killed. I was watching on tv when they pulled her body out and the rows after rows of officers and sheriffs who were saluting as her flag draped body was taken to an ambulance.

-d

That was a large train crash.I saw it on CNN yesterday.

Train crashes are the worst crash.

That was a large train crash.I saw it on CNN yesterday.

Train crashes are the worst crash.

What about plane crashes. We had one near where I lived and about 150M from where my mate lives. It crashed into a house but fortunately no one was home. It missed a school and a local hospital. It was a while ago now but i made a topic about it: http://forum.emergency-planet.com/index.php?showtopic=3572

Something that I think I would like to see for the next version(not 1.7 as that is almost finished) is a full building fire. Whether it be free play or a mission, but like a building fire, that instead of 1 small fire, like a very large engulfed building... And if it was a mission, then maybe like an enterable building, with injured people, etc.

It would be realistic, because, there are a lot of building fires like that, and it would be fun... Hoppah if you are interested. I can explain the whole thing fully. Also I can perhaps model a building, or whatever needed. But that would be one thing I would really like to see in game, because I find the fires in game now are not to realistic, and it is no fault of your own, but more of a base game thing that is responsible

I was thinking you could add a "Debris" or "Fluids" item that firefighters would have to clean up at the scene of MVAs. You'd have to edit each freeplay event, and then have some sort of "Clean-Up" button on firefighters. The new command would work somewhat like a combination of the jaws command and the tow truck pick up command - in where the firefighters would take some time to execute the command and after they are done, the debris or fluid would be cleaned up and the event would be able to be completed.

What about plane crashes. We had one near where I lived and about 150M from where my mate lives. It crashed into a house but fortunately no one was home. It missed a school and a local hospital. It was a while ago now but i made a topic about it: http://forum.emergency-planet.com/index.php?showtopic=3572
Good thing it was only a Cessna. Imagine if it was a passenger jet.

sort of like in Em1 when you had the car accidents where a pool of gas would lay there, and be ignitable?

Yeah, I really had to go back in my memory to remember that. You could even make it like that and force Hazmat to come out and clean up certain accidents. Just something to spice up the accidents.

I may have to make a trip to the basement to find my EM1 CDs.