Try this and see if it works,

Go to Nvidia settings Panel

Under where it says,

Select a Task, 3D Settings, Manage 3D settings

Click

Program Settings

Do the following...

Click ADD

then add EM4.exe from the folder which it is contained in...

scroll down to,

Conformant texture clamp to,

Use OpenGL specification

and then also set,

Extension Limit to,

On to OFF...

Click Apply and try and launch the game....

reply back with the results...

hope it works...it did for me....

how do you open Nvidia settings Panel.

If you have a fairly recent NVIDIA driver installed, it adds the NVIDIA icon to your taskbar (down by the clock) - its usually inactive so you may have o use the little (<) button to show all -- Then right click to get the menu and it says something like "Open NVIDIA Display Control Panel" or somesuch (I'm not my computer right now, or i'd give you a screenie)

Try this and see if it works,

Go to Nvidia settings Panel

Under where it says,

Select a Task, 3D Settings, Manage 3D settings

Click

Program Settings

Do the following...

Click ADD

then add EM4.exe from the folder which it is contained in...

scroll down to,

Conformant texture clamp to,

Use OpenGL specification

and then also set,

Extension Limit to,

On to OFF...

Click Apply and try and launch the game....

reply back with the results...

hope it works...it did for me....

Thanks that worked for me.

I have an update, more informational than anything

I'll preface this by saying I am VERY much against software piracy. Don't steal games people! That said, I LEGALLY OWN this game and am trying to diagnose a problem.

I have confirmed that it is the stupid SecuROM copy protection that Atari is using that is keeping the game from launching... here's how.

I downloaded a.. uh.. "Fixed exe" of the german 1.3 version of Emergency4's Em4.exe and replaced my own Em4.exe with it (I made a backup)

When I ran the new EXE, the game started immediately, the publisher movie didnt play (because they're from different publishers) but the Intro movie DID play. I could use the main menu and change game settings (I set everything to low just to be sure)

However, as expected when I tried to start a new campaign the game crashed (Could not find CD Copy Protection)

I copied my old EXE back and the non-loading resumed as before. Since an EXE of the same version, with the copy protection removed, loaded successfully, there's no choice but to conclude the protection is at fault.

If an admin feels this post violates the rules I am sorry. I am not condoning piracy or illegal activity, but rather diagnosing an issue with the legally distributed version.

And now I am going to rant a little. Its very stupid for publishers to use these encrypters and copy protection programs that are more of a hassle for legitimate users than the pirates. Sixteen Tons should have stayed with Strategy First, who pubished Em3. I ordered Em3 last week before I found Em4 online for sale. It arrived last night and I installed it today; It comes on 2 CDs and features no copy protection, no install key / serial number, and it doesn't even require a CD in the drive to play (if you install the videos to the Hard drive anyway)

Compared to Atari: Its Download only, has an ONLINE activation key, and features some anti-piracy software that loads every time you run the game, and in my case, is broken.

My hope now seems to be to get a refund from Atari and perhaps wait for the Direct 2 Drive version from IGN.. or a CD version.

Guest ComputerCop

If it's Atari's copy protection stuff that is stopping the game from loading, make THEM send you a fixed EXE activated with your serial number. There's no excuse for that crap. Either they fix it, or give you a refund (which they'll probably do because it's easier than giving you a fixed EXE)

Actually I just realized that SecuROM has a thing for this very issue on their site:

http://www.securom.com/support_enduser.asp?t=2&ts1=11

At the bottom under other problems - thats exactly whats happening. I already made an Analysis file and sent it to them.

I should charge Atari 25$ an hour for tech support.. if they ever get back to me :P

Actually I just realized that SecuROM has a thing for this very issue on their site:

http://www.securom.com/support_enduser.asp?t=2&ts1=11

At the bottom under other problems - thats exactly whats happening. I already made an Analysis file and sent it to them.

I should charge Atari 25$ an hour for tech support.. if they ever get back to me :P

I would bet theyn won't, it's already day 3 for me wating on them. Now that my game loads, I have more problems the load times are signifigantly increased and when I try and upload the mod (in the game not with the mod installer) it freezes up and then I have to restart the computer. Any one got any ideas on this?

SecuROM wins the race, and have fixed my problem.

They sent me a verified Em4.exe this morning, and it starts the game perfectly.

Lesson learned, when in doubt, blame the copy protection! :D

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. Now I can finally run LA MOD :D