Guest Mav1701

Windows XP: Em4.exe crashed without loading

Guest Mav1701

Hi, I need your help!

I just bought and downloaded 911FR from the Atarti website.

It unpacked the RAR files into an install folder and ran the installer.

After the install finished, it exited without launhing the game. It MIGHT have flashed a black screen before exiting, I wasn't paying close attention.

So, I launch the game with the icon on the desktop and the Activation screen pops up.

I copy/paste the code, and it says activation successful, then the game starts to load (the Hard drive LED is running...)

Suddenly, Em4.exe crashed with the standard windows error box [send] | [Don't Send]

I try again several times, Em4.exe loads into the process list and begins taking memory, up to about 160MB, then crashes just as before. I reboot and try again, the same

System Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3700+ (2.21 GHZ)

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT

2 GB System memory

Windows XP Pro SP2

1680x1050 Screen resolution (on a Dell widescreen LCD) (yes, I tried lowered the desktop to 1024x768 and launching)

Things I have tried - in order to fix it

Disabled AVG Virus software (The Resident Shield)

Updated to the latest NVIDIA WHQL drivers (162.18?)

Uninstalled and reinstalled

Downloaded Stan's config file from this site

Lowered my desktop resolution to 1024x768

------------------------------------------------------

I launched the game after each of these tweaks, it always does the Em4.exe crash - every time.

There is no log file for the game, it evidently isn't getting far enough to create one. There IS one for the SecuROM loader thing named Em4-070909002836.log and contains:

matroschka_loader: MD5 Checksums of 'matroschka_helper.exe' match. (CheckSum of original: 0cf80371b2e8ba54e9aeb542de51136e)
matroschka_loader: MD5 Checksums of 'Em4.exe' match. (CheckSum of original: dadc3273c279d39b1797df4e7687b24f)
matroschka_loader: MD5 Checksums of 'paul.dll' match. (CheckSum of original: 07531176f35a91f411205df78bb0c777)
matroschka_loader: MD5 Checksums of 'paul.tag' match. (CheckSum of original: 75710f54e56e6965d15f3aa7f4bc0e94)
matroschka_loader: MD5 Checksums of 'unicows.dll' match. (CheckSum of original: f8d176db5b14aed7c9b25e0640226bd1)
matroschka_loader: MD5 Checksums of 'atari.bmp' match. (CheckSum of original: c37aca703b585b6b8e7cb7e9ecee3ecf)
matroschka_loader: MD5 Checksums of 'lang.ini' match. (CheckSum of original: ea04a3590ff8d0746b6e588e877def4e)
matroschka_loader: Launching 'C:\Program Files\WizardWorks\911 - First Responders\matroschka_helper.exe'...

matroschka_helper: Done
renamed 'C:\Program Files\WizardWorks\911 - First Responders\TGT17.tmp' to 'C:\Program Files\WizardWorks\911 - First Responders\Em4.exe',
'C:\Program Files\WizardWorks\911 - First Responders\Em4.exe' saved as 'C:\Program Files\WizardWorks\911 - First Responders\Em4-070909002836.exe'

matroschka_helper: Launching 'C:\Program Files\WizardWorks\911 - First Responders\Em4.exe'...

Also, when I reinstalled the game (twice) after the installer finishes (It verifys that I have Directx 9.0c and then allows me to click Finish) the screen goes Black for about 2 seconds, then goes back to the desktop - Nothing further happens. When I click the Desktop Shortcut, em4.exe begins loading, but nothing happens.. and it crashes.

The 2nd and 3rd times I reinstalled the game, the activation screen did not load, it simply started the em4.exe crash)

I can browse to: C:\Program Files\WizardWorks\911 - First Responders\Data\Video and watch the videos in Windows media player just fine.

I don't know what else to do... any ideas?

(attached is the dump file from the windows error box - if you can understand that, you rule :P)

Guest ShortCappy

First of all, :welcome:

You mentioned a widescreen monitor within your specs. Go to C:\Program Files\WizardWorks\911 - First Responders, look for a configuration file called "em4" (not the executable), and open it up in Notepad. After it's opened, find these two values:

<var name="r_xres" value="1024" />

<var name="r_yres" value="768" />

Change the number value of "r_xres" to 1680 and the number value of "r_yres" to 1050. Save it and start your game up again.

There is no log file for the game, it evidently isn't getting far enough to create one. There IS one for the SecuROM loader thing named Em4-070909002836.log and contains:

He just told you above there isn't a logfile for emergency 4

Can you play the game videos in mediaplayer?

Guest Mav1701

I just tried editing the config file as suggested by Shortcappy, setting xres and yres to 1680 x 1050, em4.exe still fails to launch - no change

As I stated in my 1st post, Yes I can view the video files manually outside of the game.

Also since I posted this, I transferred the RAR files over my network to my laptop (Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM, Mobility Raedon 9700 with updated drivers, 17 widescreen)

It installed perfectly and ran the 1st time on my laptop - Once the install finished I launched the game, it asked for the activation code, verified it, and launched the game smoothly

So, that means that the files I downloaded are fine and working properly, no need to redownload.

I just about has to be an issue with the SecURom / matroschka business

I just tried editing the config file as suggested by Shortcappy, setting xres and yres to 1680 x 1050, em4.exe still fails to launch - no change

As I stated in my 1st post, Yes I can view the video files manually outside of the game.

Also since I posted this, I transferred the RAR files over my network to my laptop (Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM, Mobility Raedon 9700 with updated drivers, 17 widescreen)

It installed perfectly and ran the 1st time on my laptop - Once the install finished I launched the game, it asked for the activation code, verified it, and launched the game smoothly

So, that means that the files I downloaded are fine and working properly, no need to redownload.

I just about has to be an issue with the SecURom / matroschka business

Those the laptop have AVG?

If not

You said you disabled AVG. Try turning it off completed are removing it from startup and run the game. I am not convinced that the issue as EM4 ran on my PC with AVG. But that was with the CD maybe it is SecURM and AVG that causing the probelm. it rename two files, and it renaming a file tmp ext to exe. Which may still be triggering something in AVG.

FYI the log file you posted seems to be a normal run thought I check the one on my laptop and the file is the same even with the check sums

Guest Mav1701

Uninstalled AVG completely and tried again (after a restart) - No dice, same problem.

Also tried logging in as the Administrator user in XP (it had never logged in before, so it was a clean user account) - when I tried to run the game, it popped up the activation window - I put in my code again, it said it was successful - but in about 15 seconds em4.exe crashes.. just the same.

is it odd to have to activate the game on each user account?

Uninstalled AVG completely and tried again (after a restart) - No dice, same problem.

Also tried logging in as the Administrator user in XP (it had never logged in before, so it was a clean user account) - when I tried to run the game, it popped up the activation window - I put in my code again, it said it was successful - but in about 15 seconds em4.exe crashes.. just the same.

is it odd to have to activate the game on each user account?

I betting it sets a bit in the registry to see if you activitated it in the user section.

How old is your direct X?

What drivers for the desktop did you have before you update them?

Also as did you try play the videos for the in windows media player?

Guest Mav1701

its Directx 9.0c, the latest, had it since it came out

The video drivers were from oct 2006 - i used them because they were very stable (just finished playing Bioshock on full detail with them...) - but i uninstalled and reinstalled 911fr after i upgraded to the newest WHQL drivers from NVIDIA (dated July)

The desktop still creates no logfile.txt, but the laptop which works fine, does create one

I can view the videos from explorer, yes

its Directx 9.0c, the latest, had it since it came out

The video drivers were from oct 2006 - i used them because they were very stable (just finished playing Bioshock on full detail with them...) - but i uninstalled and reinstalled 911fr after i upgraded to the newest WHQL drivers from NVIDIA (dated July)

The desktop still creates no logfile.txt, but the laptop which works fine, does create one

I can view the videos from explorer, yes

Try a few nvidia drivers between the 2006 version you had and the current july ones. I tell you which one I am using unforuntly mine are dell nvidia driver.

So you directX drivers are from August 2007?

If not

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

If the direct X is not from august perhapes try that first before you try other nvidia drivers.

Is your process a 4 bit processor?

Its an Athlon 64 3700+ (2.21 GHZ) in an Asus NForce4 motherboard running XP Pro Service pack 2, not the A64 edition.

I downloaded the DirectX update (it seemed to only be for the SDK anyway) but it didn't help.

I also grabbed new nForce4 drivers for the system. Good news: The system didn't explode from getting new drivers. Bad news: it didn't help 99fr

I grabbed the newest monitor drivers from Dell - No luck -- and I went through the NVIDIA control panel and found the 3d settings for Emergency4, I made sure everything was "normal" or off... no luck

I think I've tweaked, disabled, and uninstalled everything I can.. I guess its time to get desperate.. and email Atari's tech support..

Its an Athlon 64 3700+ (2.21 GHZ) in an Asus NForce4 motherboard running XP Pro Service pack 2, not the A64 edition.

I downloaded the DirectX update (it seemed to only be for the SDK anyway) but it didn't help.

I also grabbed new nForce4 drivers for the system. Good news: The system didn't explode from getting new drivers. Bad news: it didn't help 99fr

I grabbed the newest monitor drivers from Dell - No luck -- and I went through the NVIDIA control panel and found the 3d settings for Emergency4, I made sure everything was "normal" or off... no luck

I think I've tweaked, disabled, and uninstalled everything I can.. I guess its time to get desperate.. and email Atari's tech support..

Good luck

Guest Utrechtterror

It's a bit strange, but re-installing windows might help. If you are really desparate..

It worked for me. And if you don't want to lose all your files, install it on another partition.

Hey Mav, it might be Nvidia card related, before i can help you out let me ask you two questions..

1. Are your Nvidia card drivers up to date again? after trying everyone else's suggestions and everything else mentioned??

2. Do you have a Nvidia icon in your icon tray to your bottom right screen which is AKA Nvidia Setting Control Panel?

I think i may know what might be causing you the problem, because i have a Nvidia GTX 8800 card and after upgrading to the latest drivers my EM3 and EM4 wouldnt run at all and crash....But i resolved the problem in the Nvidia Setting Control with the EM4.exe settings altered

Yeah I have the newest installed again -- and I do have the NVIDIA control panel in the taskbar... under Program Settings it has "Emergency 4" listed, and I can change various things like AA filtering, monitor settings, Triple buffers, etc.

I sent mix monitors to Compatibility Mode and it crashes faster (usually) but nothing else I've chaged seems to have mattered, do you know WHICH setting helped you?

Yeah I have the newest installed again -- and I do have the NVIDIA control panel in the taskbar... under Program Settings it has "Emergency 4" listed, and I can change various things like AA filtering, monitor settings, Triple buffers, etc.

I sent mix monitors to Compatibility Mode and it crashes faster (usually) but nothing else I've chaged seems to have mattered, do you know WHICH setting helped you?

I think it's definityly a software problem because I have the same problem with 911fr (I downloaded it too). 911fr was working fine until my computer got a virus (or crashed, I can't remember what happened first). Then when we rebuilt it and reuploaded everything, I started having the same problem.

EDIT: I just sent an email to Atari custumer support

yeah, I tried several, forgot to add that earlier, sorry.

Tried:

93.71 (these were the ones I had installed when this began I believe)

162.18 (current WHQL)

163.67 (Latest Beta Forceware drivers - updated Sept 10)

I did it properly, uninstalled the drivers and restarted, then installed the new drivers to make sure I was getting the right files and clean settings.

Nothing worked :(

Try this and see if it works,

Go to Nvidia settings Panel

Under where it says,

Select a Task, 3D Settings, Manage 3D settings

Click

Program Settings

Do the following...

Click ADD

then add EM4.exe from the folder which it is contained in...

scroll down to,

Conformant texture clamp to,

Use OpenGL specification

and then also set,

Extension Limit to,

On to OFF...

Click Apply and try and launch the game....

reply back with the results...

hope it works...it did for me....

Just to be sure, are you definitely sure you followed all of the steps correctly and tried at least twice ?

What happened? a little more descriptive then no luck, lol....

Might just need a quick fix in those settings you know...

reply back...

I did precisely what you outlined, I added Em4.exe, then changed the 2 settings, clicked Apply.

Tried to run 911fr, it didn't load. Rebooted, made sure the settings in the NV control panel had survived the reboot (they had) and tried to load 911FR again (I usually run the shortcut once or twice per attempt to make sure.

It does what its always done, when I run the shortcut (or the exe from the program files folder) em4.exe loads into the background for 10 seconds or so, then crashes, giving the Send / Don't Send option box from windows.

No log file, no game window.

(I also set those same settings for "Emergency 4" as you see in the attached image, and "Globally' so any program that loads uses those settings, it was the same

post-1425-1189550908.jpg

I did notice one weird thing, when I had the NV control p anel open and ran em4.exe, when I tried to refocus the control panel, it "froze" for a few seconds and looked to be stuck inside a 1024 x 768 window in the upper left of my monitor. It went ahead and loaded and em4.exe crashed a couple of seconds later. Seems suspicious, but Ive tried loading the game with my monitor set to 1024x768 and even 800x600 and messed with every resolution setting I could and it didn't help

Yup, I did that

Tried

1680x1050

1280x1024

1152x864

1024x768

800x600

and set my desktop accordingly, it had no effect on the game launch (or the game... not-launch :P)

Still waiting on Atari to reply back, they only do Email support, and they stated (AFTER I submitted it) that it may take 7 to 10 days for them to reply because "support is in transition"