timmiej93

Would you rather see a new Emergency title, or a 'modernized' EM4?

Would you rather see a new Emergency title, or a 'modernized' EM4?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather see a new Emergency title, or a 'modernized' EM4?

• New Emergency title
    • Modernized EM4

After trying Emergency 5 for a bit, with the Wuppertal mod, I still find myself drifting back to playing EM4, even though EM4 is clearly showing its age. Looking at video production and mods, I'd also say that EM4 is still pretty popular amongst modders and players.

To me, EM5 just feels slow. The horrible fading from standstill to moving and vice versa takes any speed out of the game, not being able to quickly go back to an emergency scene after you've completed it, the mouse controls being weird (not being able to tilt the camera without holding an additional button, and tilt changing with zoom? Come on). Sure, EM5 has plenty of advantages: It loads about a hundred times faster than EM4, it looks better, fire is way more realistic, and I'm sure it has better modding options, but it still feels limited.

Personally, I'd much prefer the next Emergency title to just be a modernization of EM4. Make sure it can use multiple cores, make it 64 bit, make it able to handle wide and ultrawide monitors, and just speed it up in general. I wouldn't even mind if the graphics and UI remained the way they are. If they would make sure that EM4 mods are still compatible, I think they'd sell a copy to pretty much anyone who still plays EM4.

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic, or maybe the newer EM titles are just a bit sub-par, or maybe EM4 really just is better. What are your opinions?

A modern em4 would be awesome, It's a shame that em5 was so different than it's older emergency titles. I think the developers just wanted to take a chance and try something different but of course it ultimately failed. Hopefully we'll see a better game soon because I believe that there have been some hints of an emergency 6 in production under a different company. 

FUN FACT, if you look at the file structures and editor as well as just general gameplay you can see that emergency 4 is in fact just a modernized version of emergency 3.

If there was to be a modern or remastered version of the game though I hope there would be some better missions, em5's campaign missions sucked, and a lot of people say that em4's were good but personally I didn't like them. Em3's were really good though. 

In the gaming community, the only thing that made sense this year was making a remastered edition of Command Conquer, released on this June. That's just the only thing EM4 needs. I wish I knew some modding but I don't. Should the developers make a remastered it may very well revive the modding community too with new people. Other than that, let's face it, the game will remain as the kind of game you see on Steam with a very cheap price, you give it a go on a boring day and en up liking it, one of the best 5 dollars you have ever spent.