rockstar mono

Accessing editor problem on Steam

Command_Prompt_on_Windows_10_RTM.png

This is the command prompt.

sshot5136622c59694.png

Go into your Emergency 4 folder where the .exe is. Once you arrive, type the word "cmd" into the address bar. The black command prompt window should show up.

Once inside the command prompt window. Type in the following:

Em4.exe -editor

Or if you are using Em4Deluxe:

Em4Deluxe.exe -editor

So you get booted into the game and you're instantly in that blank map with the game menu for some reason?

You may have stumbled into a game exploit of some kind by accident. I don't know if this is good or bad for modders but it might allow us to "fast switch" between editor and game without needing to reload.

Now I am curious: has there anything been done to your Em4 main game files?

The only thing left for me to ask is a video of you booting up the game. 

There might be evidence of something with how the game loads up that will allow us to "use" this exploit.

You aren't just sharing a bug, you might have just found something beneficial to everyone by accident. I don't know yet though, we need to find out what triggers this and how the game loads up between game and editor.

Not kidding when I say this is the weirdest thing I have ever seen.

Been playing and modding this game for a decade, never seen this encountered by anyone ever, and its even weirder that a reinstall did not fix this.

First off, the intro FMV's should never play when loading up into the editor...or at least I believe that to be true. I disabled the intro movies on my copy about 10 years ago so I don't know if that is true 100%. Can somebody else please confirm?

The next thing that messes up is the instant loading into a campaign mission and not something like freeplay or any other mode.

Can you send your logfile.txt?

I am sure this is the fault of Em4 and not your PC.

"?Script file not found: mod:/scripts/game/mission/-editor.script"

There seems to be a reference to a missing script, but here's the problem: Em4 doesn't need an external script to run the editor.

What I did find out though is that Em4 might use command line switches to do certain things. I need to look more into this.

That's the problem. It does not exist. Em4 never needed an editor file, nor should it ever require one.

If you're running the Steam .exe, there might be a few shortcuts or things that were added/left in that I've never heard of.

I think EmC's suggestion of Steam breaking something but I find it unlikely, given how many thousands have the steam version and have no problems running this game.

I notice in your mod folder, there is a mod named "UI". What's that?

These solutions are becoming a bit of a stretch but I'm running out of ideas on what could be causing this.

The only thing that we know though is that your copy of Em4 is cursed and blessed. You have the ability to fast load campaign missions.

I am curious what will happen if you type in Em4Deluxe -1 or Em4Deluxe -13. Those are mission codes ingame and might allow you to fast load other missions besides the blank map.

Would you mind navigating to this folder; (C:>Programfiles(86x)>Steam>Steamapps>common>Emergency 4 Deluxe>Data>Scripts) and posting a picture of its contents here?

Also, if you press ESC while on this 'map', are you able to go to the main menu, and say load a mod?