FireShooter10

Existing Animations

Hello all,

I recently found a new helicopter model which came with animations for the rotors. I copied the respected files into my mod's directory, but when opening the prototype in the editor, there are no animations listed. Is there some sort of process I have to go through to get the animations to appear, or some file that I'm missing? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

33 minutes ago, FireShooter10 said:

Hello all,

I recently found a new helicopter model which came with animations for the rotors. I copied the respected files into my mod's directory, but when opening the prototype in the editor, there are no animations listed. Is there some sort of process I have to go through to get the animations to appear, or some file that I'm missing? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Helicopter moddel must be not 3d edited. If you change anything and export - you will lose the animation info.

If you have not touched it, check for that info - open the body file with notepad and scroll to the bottom

It must have something like this:

BOX, -277, -80, -3, 217, 76, 168
N, 0, 0, 0, 333
CBOX, -276.466, -79.420, -2.775, 216.752, 75.807, 167.523
M, still0, 0
M, still1, 1
M, start0, 2999
M, start1, 1
M, fly0, 2000
M, fly1, 1
M, stop0, 5100
M, stop1, 1

And on top there must be lines:

P, 3, 2150, 2151, 2143, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

where P is the moddel animations itself. If they are missing - delete the helicopter (not sarcasming).

If all is fine, you must add a rotor as seperate child (to do that you must add it with seperate prototape in editor).

In the end be shure to check witch animation is looped or single box flagged (open standart helicopters fore refernace) - otherwise your chopper wont take off.

7 minutes ago, FireShooter10 said:

Yeah definitely did do some modeling edits.. Guess new animations will be the focus for a bit haha. Thank you for the quick response!

This is the helicopter I've come up with.

You can copy animtaions lines from old model file to new. Beautifull skin tho!

1 hour ago, EmC-Unit said:

You can copy animtaions lines from old model file to new. Beautifull skin tho!

Thank you! I finally figured out that the actual animation lines of text were located in the rotor v3o and not in the actual helicoper v3o so that problem has been fixed and all the animations are working properly! Again, thank you for your help!

For the sake of academic completeness, I'd like to add that lines that begin with "A" are the ones that indicated animation data. "P" lines indicate polygon data.

I have these graphics I made a while ago for a brief tutorial on the "anatomy of a v3o" file that I never got around to completing. I figured I'd just drop these here. 

"D" lines indicate a vertex. The image below says "see explanation". That explanation is as follows:

"D" lines are numbered 0 through the number of "D" lines minus 1. If we have 30 vertex points (30 "D" lines), then each "D" line is numbered 0 through 29. So the first vertex ("D" line) is 0, the second is 1, the third is 2, the fourth is 3, the fifth is 4......the twenty ninth is 28, and the thirtieth is 29. That "number" (0-29 in this example) is what I mean by the index value. so in the image, that polygon is made by connecting the 225th, 216th, and 226th vertex ("D" line) in the v3o file.

nUp6YK.png

d32yqT.png

Perhaps someone may find this information useful for some reason.