dorianbrewer

Does anyone even care about this game anymore?

It's a pretty old game and people are slowly leaving like with all other games. Personally I don't make EM4 mods because I don't know zmodeler yet and it seems like a vastly different method of making vehicle mods (getting them to show up and work in game). Never really took the time to learn

I wouldn't say its dead dead, but i think a lot of people have either got fed up with the same reskinned mod over and over or are still trying to figure out how to mod EM5-17 haha. I still build bits and pieces for my mod and its taken me 2-3years as building it from scratch isn't easy to learn. In the end i think i will just build my own game as i invested a fair amount of money in programmes ect and its teaches you as you go.

People care, but not as much as before.

Reasons: People aged out of the game, got tired of the difficulty in modding, or found an alternative game to play such as GTA.

The only way you will get new interest for the game is if someone was able to reverse engineer Em4 and do something crazy like make the vehicles driveable.

• Upvote 1

On that topic, another big killer is that Em4 assets are unusable in Em5. Gotta build everything from zero. Nobody got time fo dat. Em5 also has optimization issues. Two of this site's admins gave up on the thing because it wouldnt run properly on their high end PC's.

One major flaw is the lack of enterable buildings. After all of 16T's promises, they should have been able to come up with interiors, multiple floor buildings and even subways.

Em5 has some potential though. One can mod in the ability to manually control vehicles, and parts like ladders. For example.

Going back to the original topic, modders' decisions can be summed up by EmC and his comment about modding.

13 hours ago, EmC-Unit said:

Yes it is true, the first stuff was showed off long time ago. I can say the same about my self, i got a full time job now. But you know, modding don't help irl to find a girl or start a family.

The game is just simply not as popular any more, I mean it's almost 13 years old at this point, and lost a lot of its following with the 20XX line of games. Emergency planet has become not as active for many reasons, but a lot of it can be traced back to the end of the LA mod and lack of other large English mods that could sustain the site. Also a lot of us older users have grown up. I'm not a teenager anymore, I have a mortgage, a wife, and a career, and at the end of the day logging onto a forum about a game from the early 2000s to socialize after my responsibilities are over with is just not appealing. The people that I still want to work with modding wise I have on other mediums than the forum, and since I don't have any projects I'm leading there is no reason for me to log into the forum to catch up on things that are already in the group chat, dropbox folder, or discord room. 

• Upvote 1

Another thing that I realized in relation to this topic is that the technical issues and incompatibility with modern hardware are other factors that are making the game less popular. I'm sure there's plenty of people who just gave up on the game because they couldn't get it to run on their PC's. We're fast approaching the point where GPU drivers wont even let the game run anymore, and there wouldn't be anything we can do about it. In that case, there would be no older driver to roll back to, so the user is left with no solution for making the game work.

That incompatibility falls on the shoulders of 16T. See, they recently updated the Em4 Deluxe listing on Steam. I am sure they still have access to the original code - they could have at least updated the game to be more friendly with modern hardware before putting the damn game up on Steam.

• Like 1

The german forums are relatively still active because they have always had the majority since the start. They've overcome just about every flaw of the game, us on the other end who dont read and speak german, are left in the dust and have to figure everything else out years later. Its not that we don't care, because chris07, grimwizard and I are still working on stuff. If anything this steam release flared it up a little bit. 

But 16t should have 100% updated the base to allow for more, video options, lighting fixes, other little things, a remaster in a sense.

On 7/27/2018 at 2:40 AM, losangelesi said:

The german forums are relatively still active because they have always had the majority since the start. They've overcome just about every flaw of the game, us on the other end who dont read and speak german, are left in the dust and have to figure everything else out years later. Its not that we don't care, because chris07, grimwizard and I are still working on stuff. If anything this steam release flared it up a little bit. 

But 16t should have 100% updated the base to allow for more, video options, lighting fixes, other little things, a remaster in a sense.

I agree.

On 8/5/2018 at 2:17 PM, Rafferty Margodt said:

i stil play the game

but since my clan stopped i just never stayed with a new crew just doesnt feel right

new clans are good, especially with it picking back up since steam launch a bit. totally worth looking into, a lot of stuff out there now.

I feel like 16t just cares about money at this point they release a brand new em5 each year and they don't really do anything new in my opinion. If 16t cared they would actually listen to the community so they can make the game better for the people who have loved it for years but for now its just a cash grab to them.

Damn right.

I'd even go on to say that the Em4 Deluxe listing on steam is intended to cash in on the hype the game has due to modding. So what does that mean?

Modders like myself are responsible for income that 16T gets from Em4. Us modders should be getting a paycheck (or some kind of compensation) because nobody would be buying Em4 if it weren't for the mods.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I firmly believe had every single chance to update Em4 and make it compatible with modern systems at the very minimum. Instead we got the deluxe game with no alterations except for an English speaking supervisor.

• Upvote 3

Its also sad too because i feel like so many people have invested their money into em5-20 because they thought the modding community would be just as great or if not better than what em4 has/had in the past and people could just be buying the game over and over but never play it because there are no mods. 

I still have some kind of hope that 16T will release a game with a little more modding capabilities in the future. But like stated above, it feels like they are all about money and not wanting feedback from players. But then why are they not allowing modding for em5. They would have made tons of money of off it. Make it as moddable as em4 and a step further. Profit for them and fun for us. So the question is just why...

On 8/12/2018 at 10:34 AM, RestingVermin said:

I still have some kind of hope that 16T will release a game with a little more modding capabilities in the future. But like stated above, it feels like they are all about money and not wanting feedback from players. But then why are they not allowing modding for em5. They would have made tons of money of off it. Make it as moddable as em4 and a step further. Profit for them and fun for us. So the question is just why...

Continuing a game is diminishing returns as opposed to making a new game/expansion every few years and releasing it at full retail price. 

On 8/12/2018 at 7:34 AM, RestingVermin said:

On a technical level, em5 is apparently much easier to mod. BUT. It requires 3ds max, which is out of the budget for most of us unless we get a student deal on it, and even then its still expensive. And it's full capabilities haven't really been tested from what I've seen. theres some germans working on it, we'll see what happens.