Engine 14

General Questions

First off, the questions I am addressing here may have (and 99% sure) been addressed here before. But I am not a computer expert by any stretch of the imagination. So please have consideration when responding to my questions.

1. A while back, I addressed an issue here that had to do with EM4/Global Fighters for Life being able to install on a Windows 7 O/S. The answer I received was that the game could be installed on a Windows 7. The installation went very well, and the game is 100%. The computer I installed the game on is a hand-me-down Windows 7 from my sister who graduated to Windows 10. Coming down to my sister's for the Thanksgiving holiday, I brought the original EM 3 & 4 CD down and installed it on my HP All-in-One, also running Windows 7. The installation went fine, but when I click on the desktop icon, the screen briefly goes black then returns to the desktop. After five attempts (including uninstall and reinstall), the game apparently does not work on my HP computer. Any suggestions?

2. When I read the "Information Document" I could see that EM4 "requires" Windows 2000 or XP to run. Since the game is about 10 years old now, and since it apparently works fine on the Windows 7 my sister gave to me, is the problem on the CD or could my HP (which is over 6 years old) be the problem? As a side note, the computer my sister gave me is probably in the same age range also.

3. One day, without any knowledge or experience whatsoever, I clicked on the "Mod Editor" of my game and titled it, "Bakersfield Fire Department." Then I was confronted with a large grid-style layout with buildings, vehicles, and other items. Not having any knowledge of just how much computer-savvy is required, I hurriedly abandoned my project. However, the title "Bakersfield Fire Department" still appears when I access "Modifications." Is there any way to remove this blunder of mine?

4. And last, but not least, when a unit is destroyed by fire or gunfire, is there a way to "replace" that unit at a fire station? Just curious.

Hi. It is me again. I am updating my post from yesterday to reflect the fact that I was able to solve a couple of the problems that I posed. To begin with, EM4/Global Fighters for Life is now working fine in my HP All-in-One Windows 7 system. I stumbled onto the solution after reinstalling the game. Apparently, after being unable to get the game to start, I then clicked on the "trouble-shooter" icon and then checked "run the game with compatible settings." Sure enough, although I cannot figure out how, the game started and was playable without any major hitches. It's almost as if the O/S in my computer was magically changed to an XP Version so that the game could play.  Very curious.  This apparently resolves Items #1 and #2. For Item #3, where I mistakenly and without any forethought started the "Mod Editor" and then abandoned it - that game is on another Windows 7 computer, and I guess the solution to that will be to uninstall the game from that computer. As to Item #4,  that question will remain active. I seem to recall in the PDF Manual that "...only units assigned to a fire station may be parked in those stations." So if one of my primary units is destroyed, there is no replacing it from my inventory of vehicles? Thank you.

43 minutes ago, Engine 14 said:

Hi. It is me again. I am updating my post from yesterday to reflect the fact that I was able to solve a couple of the problems that I posed. To begin with, EM4/Global Fighters for Life is now working fine in my HP All-in-One Windows 7 system. I stumbled onto the solution after reinstalling the game. Apparently, after being unable to get the game to start, I then clicked on the "trouble-shooter" icon and then checked "run the game with compatible settings." Sure enough, although I cannot figure out how, the game started and was playable without any major hitches. It's almost as if the O/S in my computer was magically changed to an XP Version so that the game could play.  Very curious.  This apparently resolves Items #1 and #2. For Item #3, where I mistakenly and without any forethought started the "Mod Editor" and then abandoned it - that game is on another Windows 7 computer, and I guess the solution to that will be to uninstall the game from that computer. As to Item #4,  that question will remain active. I seem to recall in the PDF Manual that "...only units assigned to a fire station may be parked in those stations." So if one of my primary units is destroyed, there is no replacing it from my inventory of vehicles? Thank you.

For question number 4, What mod are you using? If it is destroyed in the station it must be taken away with a towtruck before it can be replaced. If outside the station you can skip this step. Then you can call in another unit of the same type into the map, from here you will select that unit, then click on a command usually called something like "To Fire Station" and it will go to and park in it's spot.

Also, so that you know, the phrase "...only units assigned to a fire station may be parked in those stations." does not mean units that start assigned to a station, but any unit that can park in a station. So if you have an ambulance that gets destroyed, another ambulance can replace it as long as it's the same type of ambulance.

Hope this helped, message back if it didn't and I'll go in a little deeper.

Thank you. That helped immensely. And I am using Hoppah's LA Mod 2.1 for EM4.