mr matt5432123

Tips for my first model?

Hey Guys! what's up! I'm finally getting back into EM4 modding! I had decided awhile ago try to start modeling, but things kept getting in the way and I could never get to it. But in the last few days my life has become a little less "chaotic" so yesterday I decided to give modeling a go. There are some pictures below of my first ever model made completely from scratch! I did a lot better than I thought I would, but there are still some parts that just don't seem just right, like the wheelwells seem a little big, but I should be able to fix all that in the next few days. It's nowhere near done, but I thought I would ask if anyone had any tips that I could use before I get too far into the detail part of the model. P.S. It's supposed to be a 1986 Pierce arrow pumper.

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (7).png

Screenshot (8).png

Fix that little piece of mesh thats separated from the rest of the rig. The wheel arches look clean for the most part.

The only major issue is alignment of the verts. You need to align some sections to be straight. Not entirely sure how to do that in Blender, but there are parts that need to be straight on a fire engine.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:51 PM, itchboy said:

Fix that little piece of mesh thats separated from the rest of the rig. The wheel arches look clean for the most part.

The only major issue is alignment of the verts. You need to align some sections to be straight. Not entirely sure how to do that in Blender, but there are parts that need to be straight on a fire engine.

Hello Itchboy, Thankyou for showing me about un aligned verts, I finally figured out how to get them (mostly) straight. I think they look a bit better. Progress is going good, but now I have a couple of questions that I hope you can answer, my main problem right now is as you can see below, I'm trying to make a couple of crosslays next to the vehicle pump panel, I'm not exactly sure how detailed they should be. Do you think they're good? I'm finding it hard to make something that looks like a hose, but I figured that because of how emergency 4's camera works they won't need to be completely perfect.

And one last thing, how many vertices, edges, faces, and poly's should an average model like this have? I was wondering if I should start cutting back on some parts of the model to minimize performance issues in-game. 

Screenshot (13).png

Screenshot (14).png

That panel is too detailed, emphasis on the hoses. They dont need to have that many polies and verts. Just make it to be maybe 3 rows of polies, instead of modeling in every curve and fold.

The panel itself as well can be done with fewer polygons.

In Em4 modding, the emphasis is on textures. Keep the polycounts low while emphasizing texture to provide the detail.

Untitled.png