mr matt5432123

Akamai NetSession Client

Hello everyone! I'm really sorry I haven't been very active lately, I've had a lot on my hands at the moment especially with the holidays coming up. But at the moment I need a little trustworthy advice, I was cleaning up my PC which I do a couple times a year and noticed that an application called Akamai NetSession Client has been using a lot of my PC's memory and such, I read up on it and it just seemed a little weird, and I don't exactly get what it does  and why I need it, so then  I looked at some reviews for it and found some completely conflicting topics. I know that you all are usually pretty trustworthy, so if any of you can tell me, what exactly is this program, why do I need it, and if I can delete it. because I'm thinking that it's some kind of malware or something close to that.

!!!Hey everybody!!! ----  I tried disabling the program and my PC internet connection skyrocketed! I guess it was using all of it itself! If you have this I would recommend deleting or disabling it!

Akamai I know is a big time CDN (Content Distribution Network) company. Essentially they rent server space to allow big websites (think eBay, Facebook, etc) to serve up files to users. Essentially these websites pay Akamai to have copies of their website/files on servers around the world so that when you visit their website it will load quickly (since the content is theoretically pulled  from a server that is geographically close to you).

After a tiny bit of research it appears that Akamai also allows companies to serve files via P2P (peer-to-peer), which NetSession facilitates. At some point you downloaded a program which uses this method of delivery. The program was probably small and it installed NetSession which then proceeded to download the actual program you wanted. The file was not server from a server, but from other people running NetSession. Once done, and if left running, NetSession then uses your idle bandwidth to further the network. When someone else downloads the program they get part of it from you "eating" your bandwidth. Theoretically NetSession should throttle back when you use the computer but it will always leave some over head. 

Long story short, remove it.

• Upvote 1