RookieCommander

Tips for more effective firefighting?

Even though I'm absolutely terrible at it, LA mod is taking up a lot of my time! But I keep getting overwhelmed with fires. It seems no matter what I do, they keep burning out of control. So I figured I'd come ask the experts how they best did things. I know that technically, I can alter the "burn time" of the various .xml files, but I really just wanna get better at the game, first! So, any tips?

Extinguish the 'newer' objects that are on fire. Fires that started burning earlier are easier to burn than the burning objectct thats been ablaze for several minutes. If the palm tree for ex burned for 5 seconds already and you dump water on it, it gets extinguished quickly. If something is on fire, extinguish as well the various objects burning around it so that they dont spread. Example setup would be 1 engine on the building, 2 on the other various burning objects.

On more extreme situations, position reosurces ahead of the path of the fire.

To add onto what itchboy said, remember that larger fires require more water, so let's say you have a 2-story house on fire, and a small garage on fire as well, use a hose or two to knock down the garage fire, and use the tower ladder and the deck guns on some engines to take care of the house fire.

If it was a large fire i would personally take more of a defensive approach to firefighting. I would look for the largest fire (possibly building) or if there was a Hazard like Gas tank etc and i would have a more aggressive approach to firefighting (Truck water cannons, Ladder trucks etc) and then i would get firefighters with hoses to extinguish the more minor fires and cool object around the fire and set up a kind of cordon of cooling. As the firefighters that are extinguishing the smaller objects around the main fire i would move them in closer and closer until they are tackling the main fire. As i move them in i would also move in the guys cooling objects until they are cooling the objects around the main fire and then i would wait for it to be extinguished.

Its hard to say  how i would tackle a fire because every fire can be different, Size, Hazard etc but that is the main principle i would go for.

Also look at where the fire is in relation to the stations.  Many times on the LA Mod if the fire is in the lower left corner, away from the 2 stations, I'll call a "backup" engine out to get there faster instead of dispatching one from the station.

The faster you get "the wet stuff on the red stuff" the smaller the fire will be.

If you have a large fire starting near the water, call in the boat!  it has a decent range, and puts out a good amount of water.