Pottyscotty

Unassigned Vertex

I'm getting this error and crash after attempting to add a hat/helmet to a person model following the tutorial on the site. I'm not sure what it is really telling me or where the unassigned vertex's' are so I'm hoping someone else does.

|Loading Model mod:Models\Persons\Ambulance Service\Station Staff\Paramedic\Paramedic.v3o
|[VNUM=1.43]
?Model vertex is referenced by more than four bones.
|Model contains 948 vertices, 1015 polygons, 20 bones, 0 muscleanimframes
?ERROR: Unassigned vertex 618 found in dynamic model mod:Models\Persons\Ambulance Service\Station Staff\Paramedic\Paramedic.
?ERROR: Unassigned vertex 619 found in dynamic model mod:Models\Persons\Ambulance Service\Station Staff\Paramedic\Paramedic.
?ERROR: Unassigned vertex 620 found in dynamic model mod:Models\Persons\Ambulance Service\Station Staff\Paramedic\Paramedic.
?ERROR: Unassigned vertex 621 found in dynamic model mod:Models\Persons\Ambulance Service\Station Staff\Paramedic\Paramedic.
?ERROR: Unassigned vertex 622 found in dynamic model mod:Models\Persons\Ambulance Service\Station Staff\Paramedic\Paramedic.
(Through to)
?ERROR: Unassigned vertex 945 found in dynamic model mod:Models\Persons\Ambulance Service\Station Staff\Paramedic\Paramedic.
?ERROR: Unassigned vertex 946 found in dynamic model mod:Models\Persons\Ambulance Service\Station Staff\Paramedic\Paramedic.
?ERROR: Unassigned vertex 947 found in dynamic model mod:Models\Persons\Ambulance Service\Station Staff\Paramedic\Paramedic.
?ERROR: Unassigned vertex 948 found in dynamic model mod:Models\Persons\Ambulance Service\Station Staff\Paramedic\Paramedic.
|Fixing invalid blended vertex weightings for model mod:Models\Persons\Ambulance Service\Station Staff\Paramedic\Paramedic!
!WARNING: global listener object is still registered! Unregister listener before destroying object!

Essentially it's your helmet that is "unassigned" 618-948 is probably your helmet vertice count; go into zmod with just the model as an object, in vertice view select em and count the verts I bet you get somewhere around 331 Verts for the thing...  I personally never did add things to the bodies for the exact reason that visually its hard to do and technically a very fickle process to do.  Hopefully you have a backup of the helmet and the guy because I have a feeling you'll have to re-attempt the process again.  Kind of like animating, this particular task is trial-and-error since it's sadly very easy to make a mis-step and trash the attempt.

Thanks, I do my models in Blender so always have save files for everything anyway. Don't get me started on animating either, not even simple, pure logic can solve issues with that so I understand what you mean.

Vertex count is still 333 in ZMod but taking away different numbers from each other seems to come up with 330 and 615 (and not 333, 618). Looks like I'll be starting the process again as I'm too stubborn to purchase a ZM3 license.

You don't need a license for Z3 so don't worry about that aspect of it, what you're trying to do can be done in Z2; It's just a matter of ensuring you don't touch anything "old" when you add the new stuff in and to be blunt a whole lotta luck when you dump the file that it does so correctly.  It has to do with the original structure and the fact that 2 can't read everything it should be reading, make a mistake and accidentally touch the old or if the order gets outta whack, you get the errors.   Something as stupid as adding a cube IN the helmet can sometimes cause it to not error out (simply changing the vert/poly count of what your adding)... Again it's because the program is trying to do something it wasnt supposed to do)..  Goodluck, try a few times with it, this particular task is a whole bunch of trial and error to get beyond the glitches.

34 minutes ago, MikeyPI said:

You don't need a license for Z3 so don't worry about that aspect of it, what you're trying to do can be done in Z2; It's just a matter of ensuring you don't touch anything "old" when you add the new stuff in and to be blunt a whole lotta luck when you dump the file that it does so correctly.  It has to do with the original structure and the fact that 2 can't read everything it should be reading, make a mistake and accidentally touch the old or if the order gets outta whack, you get the errors.   Something as stupid as adding a cube IN the helmet can sometimes cause it to not error out (simply changing the vert/poly count of what your adding)... Again it's because the program is trying to do something it wasnt supposed to do)..  Goodluck, try a few times with it, this particular task is a whole bunch of trial and error to get beyond the glitches.

I think this time I'll try it with a cube or something similar instead of a 300 poly helmet. Means I can see what does/doesn't work without sitting there for 3/4 of an hour manually typing in 650+ numbers.

Thanks for your help, hopefully I can get this to work then I may risk my sanity again with animations.

It's how I'd strongly suggest playing with it, try something dumb first until you figure out the technicalities of the issue then once you get it to work trying it 3-5 times, go for the more complex thing.

When it comes time to do the animations do it the same way, start with simple things like legs that go straight up and down first; my tower ladder has extremely complex anims and I had to redo them 2-3 times in spite of knowing the process =-(

28 minutes ago, MikeyPI said:

It's how I'd strongly suggest playing with it, try something dumb first until you figure out the technicalities of the issue then once you get it to work trying it 3-5 times, go for the more complex thing.

When it comes time to do the animations do it the same way, start with simple things like legs that go straight up and down first; my tower ladder has extremely complex anims and I had to redo them 2-3 times in spite of knowing the process =-(

I have a simple two frame animation on a plane with 6 vertices, when I tried to make an 'open' animation, it closed. So I just renamed it and tried the reverse for open and instead got some glitched out mess. So I then try to reverse it manually using the lines in the file, same thing. So I try to make one properly instead of reversing the accidental close, it opens from a stupid position which was never defined.

But then a month beforehand, I was able to do them fine every single time with the exact same method. Joy.

Well here is how you handle the anims; assuming you use the same method I do (which is possible you don't).

Step 1: Make the frames, ensure you have the frames created so they flow (In ORDER> Name them in such a way that you **KNOW** the order of them is correct).

Step 2: Do the Conversion Calcs for the verts, again save the outputs in such a way that you **KNOW** which frame it is and where in the order it should be.

Step 3: Once you have the frame outputs in the proper order, create a new text doc and one by one add them into the file so that they are placed in the proper transition order.

Step 4: Test the animation before proceeding, don't waste your time trying to do both anims at once because that's how you seriously jamble them up and make mistakes.  Get the first one working right as it's supposed to, then once it has the proper transition/function you then want to do the reverse.

NOTE:

For the "Open" transition the first frame is absolutely nothing, just the label header only... It doesnt need any transitional data because it's supposed to start where it is originally on the model>> From there it goes thru the frames to the final frame which is it's last transition point.

For the "Close" transition many think you just simply reverse the process, but often times forget the "first" frame was blank originally, but it isnt on the opposite transition, it has to be the final frame of the anim that transitions back thru till you hit the new "final" one which is again zeroed out since it's the same as the original model was.

Often people jumble their lines in the things and/or accidentally dupe frames more than once which is why you really have to be careful in creating **new** text docs to hold all the data compiled in, this way it's much easier to keep track of what you've added (IE frame 1, 2 ,3 4,).  For me, I find it easier to take the dump files at the beg of an anim, and open them ALL up, one by one closing them as I add them to the new txt doc, thus ensuring that each and every one is clearly cut, then clearly pasted into the new doc, closing (without saving) the original one; if it's blank and tells me to save the change, I evidently cut the data correctly for that particular frame.   This helps particularly in complex anims where they can be 15-20+ frames for them.

Hope this helps.