Police101

Is Logmein a virus before i get it

No, it is used widely in the remote support world by businesses and for remote access. It's safe so long as you:

1. Download it from a known good source, like logmein.com...not from some random page or pop-up. If it's Logmein Rescue, which is often used by remote tech support, the download may come from that company's website, which is okay, so long as the company is reputable. If you don't know the company is reputable, then you shouldn't be granting them access to your PC. 

2. You don't grant access to your computer to anyone you don't want in there. Remote access programs (if they are downloaded from a good source), are only as dangerous as you allow them to be. If you let some stranger into your PC, then its like letting someone sit at your PC IRL and work on it. If you wouldn't let an individual sit at your PC right now unattended, then I would not grant them access.

Whether or not this whole thing is safe for you is dependent on the situation. Are you using logmein for yourself or to let a friend onto your PC? It's safe. Are you using logmein to let a reputable company help you with a support issue, (ie. A reputable software company asking you to install logmein so they can diagnose or fix a problem)? You're okay so long as the company is reputable. Is it some random company that you go this cheap piece of crap software from that never worked? Is it some random company that says they can make your PC faster or fix your OS problems? I'd be more suspicious here. Just use caution.

On 21/04/2016 at 2:32 AM, Chris07 said:

No, it is used widely in the remote support world by businesses and for remote access. It's safe so long as you:

1. Download it from a known good source, like logmein.com...not from some random page or pop-up. If it's Logmein Rescue, which is often used by remote tech support, the download may come from that company's website, which is okay, so long as the company is reputable. If you don't know the company is reputable, then you shouldn't be granting them access to your PC. 

2. You don't grant access to your computer to anyone you don't want in there. Remote access programs (if they are downloaded from a good source), are only as dangerous as you allow them to be. If you let some stranger into your PC, then its like letting someone sit at your PC IRL and work on it. If you wouldn't let an individual sit at your PC right now unattended, then I would not grant them access.

Whether or not this whole thing is safe for you is dependent on the situation. Are you using logmein for yourself or to let a friend onto your PC? It's safe. Are you using logmein to let a reputable company help you with a support issue, (ie. A reputable software company asking you to install logmein so they can diagnose or fix a problem)? You're okay so long as the company is reputable. Is it some random company that you go this cheap piece of crap software from that never worked? Is it some random company that says they can make your PC faster or fix your OS problems? I'd be more suspicious here. Just use caution.

I heard logmein gives you access to online em4 servers.

It a vpn tunnel which takes computers on Internet and make it like they in the same network in house. So there is risk. But if you know who else is connected it limits said risk.