William Stapleford

Traffic Control Devices WIP

Ok well in some of my free time I decided to post some shots of a few traffic control devices that make it look like a REAL construction zone.  Not too much work to do on these before I can release them, however I need someone with far more brains then me to make them usable in the game.  If someone is interested I would be more then happy to share the mod files.  I'm assuming that in order to use these devices they wold have to be added to a vehicles inventory and have a script to be placed and then picked up when done.  Each is set as a barrier so hopefully it will control and or stop traffic if used.  If not at least they look cool.  I know that killerconstis made a road cone as well but hey what the heck can it hurt to have more then one.   For now two items are presented here.  The first is a simple low poly traffic cone with a double stripe of reflective tape.  The second is the stackable road construction barrels.  Each barrel has a reflective stripe and also a working flashing orange light with surround effect for night time use.

Still to come is the flare, that can be placed and also used to replace the signal disk (hopefully), road closed signage, led road flare and what ever other things I can mess with.  Anyways here is a few shots (IF THEY LOAD on this bandwidth)

traffic_control_device_day.jpg

A common scene at home an entire state under construction with the lonely police officer watching traffic.  Here are the simple low poly designs.  The road cone and barrels are approx to real life size and design.

20160414233558_1.jpg

Night time and a simple example.  The crownvic is lit up but still not ready.  Each barrel has a yellow/orange flashing light and surrounding effect.  The Specular material needs to be corrected so that they actually reflect more as well.  

20160414233559_1.jpg

One more night shot and you can see that now the other barrels are lit, just like the real thing.

Hope everyone has a safe and nice night.

William516

Bill

Delaware, USA

Hi William,

Unfortunately your pictures are not yet visible, but seeing and reading about the things you're working on this last year is quite impressive to me, so I'm convinced that your traffic control devices are sharing the same level. Mind you, I am not a modder myself as you're probably aware of by now, but still...

I am so glad that FINALLY, modders are now really getting interested in modding EM5 as well, if not - making real efforts to let it happen already. I always loved to play the American Mods in EM4, and I noticed the evolution of these EM4 mods nowadays are really breathtaking... Now, getting acquainted, with the first EM5 Mods: Dutch Mod (WIP) and the probably soon to be released EM5 Bieberfelde Next Generation Mod - just check out the Bieberfelde mod EM4 version, I am really looking forward to the first American Mods for EM5. I know that Ben12 , recently started on working on his EM5 Chicago Mod. But I wouldn't be surprised if you are both helping each other out with your projects.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Cheers!!

Robert.

I am very busy with the Minimod right now (c++, skinning ,modelling).. For avoidable objects use bulletbox parameters 5 and 20 instead of 3 and 6134

But i'll need the scriptaswell. So itwont be finished just not in April. Maybe in mid of may, not sure yet.

And finally reflection a good comes from a combination between gloss and specular map (both bright for a highly reflective material).  The gloss map isjust a graymap. Hope this helps

And finally reflection a good comes from a combination between gloss and specular map (both bright for a highly reflective material).  The gloss map isjust a graymap. Hope this helps

1 hour ago, Killerconsti said:

Well the Get Traffic Cone Command finally works, just the attaching point is kinda troublesome right now, but i might use two different modells to solve this

http://www.emergency-planet.com/uploads/monthly_2016_04/20160419212427_1.jpg.4f4b8de66fece7965cdd4533a970b491.jpg

I Say "DERP!" when it comes to the traffic cones  <- Online American Fad That Makes Me Laugh Every Time

Cool though, will say that. Awesome!

How do they work? Are they like the police tape in the unmodded game (without the textures and stuff) or do they use new scripting?

well each part of equipment need it's own script.  That's also why i just have the getcommand (which get them from the car),. However it's possible to replace my cones with William's ones if you just need one of that kind.

The placing could work like the tape. Hopwever I've not implented that yet, as I first want to fix the position

21 hours ago, Killerconsti said:

well each part of equipment need it's own script.  That's also why i just have the getcommand (which get them from the car),. However it's possible to replace my cones with William's ones if you just need one of that kind.

The placing could work like the tape. Hopwever I've not implented that yet, as I first want to fix the position

Okay, sorry about that, I assumed you had it working already. I suggest using the tape placing script (tweaked) to place it down as you don't need to go through the process of making a new script for placing objects.

Well i think I / we needed a new script anyway. You still need for each equipment it's own "get"- script. But the placing works for just everything with the limitation - that you either can place one of that kind (flood light maybe?) or an infinite amount (like this cone). Tomorrow I'll work on the next step , which is to remove the cones again from the street by picking them up

• Upvote 1

I should be able to send killerconsti the files and he is free to do what ever he needs to do to make them work.  Here is another simple addon that I may have gotten to before anyone else.  Traffic Road flare.  This is a road flare that if possible with coding could be placed like a road cone and should share the same barrier and bullet box collision.  The road flare is a simple low poly item that has a bright red flare and surrounding lighting effects as well.  Used to light up a scene and or block traffic from an accident scene.  Not sure if this will keep civilians out of the the collision area or not as of now.  I'm also working on a hand held road flare that can replace the the lighted disk currently used as the default traffic control device.  

The road flare is a very bright red color with added smoke effects as well.  To keep frame rates hopefully down the lighting effects and smoke effects are reduced.  May need to tweak some of the values as they are not very bright from the air as of now.  

The bellow screenshots were taking by setting up a small scene in the world builder of a car accident and police and fire units shutting down the lane of traffic and diverting around the scene.  It is NOT an in game shot as a playable unit.

roadflare_accident_1.jpg

As seen from a street level the little road flare stand up at approx 30 degree angle and light up an area all the way around of approx 15-20 meters

roadflare_accident_2.jpg

Road flare at night, light up the scene and make your emergency units highly visible.  A fast flickering effect was added to the flare and surrounding effects to imitate a real flare

roadflare_accident_3.jpg

Just another view of the accident and the flare lighting effect.  

Hope to get killerconsti all the files needed to get these added to his newest mod if it is possible.  Everyone have a safe and great day.

William516

Bill

Delaware, USA

Hey Bill

1.Would you want sth like a self destruction for the flares?

2. If you make screenshots in the editor you might use the "Mesh Animation Test" component to simulate a animation

Not sure if this will keep civilians out of the the collision area or not as of now.

3. not sure either ;). One would need to make a distract effect. I have no experience right now with this one.

• Upvote 1

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

AWESOME JOB!!

As I said before the average time for a flare is approx 10-15 minutes before it is gone.  Everything looks really good.  I mean really good.  Keep up the great work.  It's awesome to see someone that can do the scripting language and actually make objects work in the game.

Now what I would do is make Flares part of all the equipment arrays of the vehicle and the cones and barrels equipment for the larger vehicles utility etc.

An idea i have been working on and making some models for is FIRE POLICE.  Basically fire police would be dispatched to take command and control of the traffic.  They would be given all the euipment to direct traffic ONLY.  That way the police can continue to work on crimes etc.  For reality send them both to the scene.  

A volunteer fire police  dodge ram truck would be used as one of the fire police trucks.  It was an idea to get more vehicles into the game and enhance the game play.  I worked with fire police for awhile on accident scenes.  

I have a few more 3d models but not sure if I want to get them over to you or if they would just be too much.

a 3d LED traffic triangle 

a 3d LED Round road flare

a portable scene lighting system

Anyways keep the awesome work.  

William516

Bill

Delaware, USA

Well, you can send em anytime (but please with the .max [from  3ds max]. However first of all I need to adapt the UI to the new equipment. Because the standart UI just supports 8+1 Buttons. My idea is to make a buttion that toggles the buttons for the placeable equipment like it's done with the lighting control in dartlaks "testmod".

About the flare: The problem ist the time ingame. As we have a daycyle from 24 minutes! This means your flare would stay 15 secs art the ground and would be burned out then! We need to find a good compromisse for this topic.

My first idea -> stay as long as noone picks it up

My second idea-> burns 3-5 ingame hours (180-300 seconds if the game is at NORMAL speed

How's your crownvic going?

And a fire police truck sounds very interesting, however I'd recommend finish the vehicles you've allready started first.

Consti

On 4/29/2016 at 6:05 PM, William Stapleford said:

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

AWESOME JOB!!

As I said before the average time for a flare is approx 10-15 minutes before it is gone.  Everything looks really good.  I mean really good.  Keep up the great work.  It's awesome to see someone that can do the scripting language and actually make objects work in the game.

Now what I would do is make Flares part of all the equipment arrays of the vehicle and the cones and barrels equipment for the larger vehicles utility etc.

An idea i have been working on and making some models for is FIRE POLICE.  Basically fire police would be dispatched to take command and control of the traffic.  They would be given all the euipment to direct traffic ONLY.  That way the police can continue to work on crimes etc.  For reality send them both to the scene.  

A volunteer fire police  dodge ram truck would be used as one of the fire police trucks.  It was an idea to get more vehicles into the game and enhance the game play.  I worked with fire police for awhile on accident scenes.  

I have a few more 3d models but not sure if I want to get them over to you or if they would just be too much.

a 3d LED traffic triangle 

a 3d LED Round road flare

a portable scene lighting system

Anyways keep the awesome work.  

William516

Bill

Delaware, USA

I would say get rid of the fire police. They would just roll as part of the fire department. And we can keep the redirection stuff with personnel without the signal disk.

So basically have a firefighter/ tech/ police officer "waving" like in vanilla but without a disk, because that's what's done in real life US (at least in my experience and shows)

We could detect if it was night and have the waving person pull out a signal stick instead.

On 4/30/2016 at 9:57 AM, Killerconsti said:

Well, you can send em anytime (but please with the .max [from  3ds max]. However first of all I need to adapt the UI to the new equipment. Because the standart UI just supports 8+1 Buttons. My idea is to make a buttion that toggles the buttons for the placeable equipment like it's done with the lighting control in dartlaks "testmod".

About the flare: The problem ist the time ingame. As we have a daycyle from 24 minutes! This means your flare would stay 15 secs art the ground and would be burned out then! We need to find a good compromisse for this topic.

My first idea -> stay as long as noone picks it up

My second idea-> burns 3-5 ingame hours (180-300 seconds if the game is at NORMAL speed

How's your crownvic going?

And a fire police truck sounds very interesting, however I'd recommend finish the vehicles you've allready started first.

Consti

Hey man,

Looking at the things you are accomplishing right now, I'm really impressed. Knowing that over the years tons of EM4 mods were being developed (one even more good looking than the other), and EM4 mods are continuously being newly developed or under moderation as we speak, I am pleased to see that you are doing all this work for the EM5/-2016 games.

No offence now, but are these "small pieces of art" just there to show us of what you are capable of, or are these mods to be implemented in any future EM5/EM2016 mod developments like maybe the future EM5/-2016 American mod(s) or even the hopefully soon to be released Bieberfelde NextGeneration mod? Or, could it be that maybe you are working on your own mod right now that we don't know nothing about yet, or are you even cooperating in in someone else's mod development? Are your small mods to be downloaded, now or in the near future?

Please tell us; but whatever your reasons: you're doing a great job! Please keep up the good work.

Cheers!!

Robert 

No offence now, but are these "small pieces of art" just there to show us of what you are capable of, or are these mods to be implemented in any future EM5/EM2016 mod developments like maybe the future EM5/-2016 American mod(s) or even the hopefully soon to be released Bieberfelde NextGeneration mod? Or, could it be that maybe you are working on your own mod right now that we don't know nothing about yet, or are you even cooperating in in someone else's mod development? Are your small mods to be downloaded, now or in the near future?

Hey Ropie,

well first of all the American stuff you see here is made by William and thats the reason he have to decide this.

The Traffic Control devices are controlled by the logics which I had developped for the "Minimod". A potential American Mod would surely use pieces of my code or the complete plugins... both cases would be aswesome. The Minimod in Version 2.0 is allready downloadable in german and as soon as i have translated the texts, I'll publish him for english users aswell. (here is the german thread http://www.emergency-forum.de/index.php?thread/62972-em5-minimod-2-0-beta/&pageNo=9 ... there's a lot of media files. The english thread is a bit outdated  because I felt there was no real interest.

Consti

Thanks for your reply Consti. 

It's obvious you're a real tribute to our forum, as well as to our mod developers.

As I'm sure you're well aware of, I'm not a modder myself, but I'm sure as hell glad you joined the club.  ;-)

Cheers!!

Robert.