xazdkr

Becoming an EMT

Back when I took my test, the practical part I thought was harder than the rest.  My test, they really threw a fun one at me, a guy that fell that was wedged in a corner sitting up against a wall, so we had to put him on the short board/KEDS to move him from the wall and then put him on the back board.  Oh, and he was about 2x my size too.  But my partner and I did it!  Man that was a fun one.

Remember your basic steps - "Is the scene safe" is a common one I heard that people screwed up and missed all the time.  Remember your ABC's.  Trust in your training.

GOOD LUCK!

EMT is essentially a better structured form of basic first aid.  Some states let you do things like IVs, or even advanced airways, but for the most part they don't.  You'll learn your the structured methods of assessment, treatment, anatomy & physiology, and a tiny bit of pharmacology. The one thing they tend to forget to teach you is the more important customer service and human interaction skills you need to be a good provider. Classes are fun, just make sure you study, and get as much hand-on experience in practicals and ride-alongs as you can.

Always remember the basics, DRABCD (or DRcABCDE) etc., is important. I don't know what you'd have in terms of equipment and monitors, but treat the patient. Don't always go by what the machines say. 

I can't comment on what level you'll be taught, but make sure you properly learn your stuff!

I'd also echo the above about interaction, the majority of the job is being able to communicate and remember you might be with a patient for a significant length of time.

• Upvote 1

Yes I'd agree with the above and also remember your always part of a team even when solo responding your never alone never be afraid to request help advice and backup to scene even if just needed the extra pair of hands that includes using and coaching bystanders if that's what you got use every resource at your disposal besides giving bystanders a task even if not needed getting them to wave on traffic etc keeps them busy and out of your way getting them involved is an easy method of crowd control rather than arguing with people to move back etc make your life easy rather than create a rod for your own back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be this guy:

Ricky_Rescue-269x300.jpg

Or this guy:

p1.jpg

...oh...and use the shears as little as possible. Just because you need to remove it, doesn't mean you need to cut it off. Unless you're in a true life threatening situation, taking the 15-20 seconds to remove a piece of clothing properly (if possible) will go a long way in maintaining a good rapport with your patient.

...and pass on all the star of life stickers, apparel, and personal medical kits. Most people go through that phase when they're fresh out of school and ready to take on the world. I'll admit, I did a bit at first, but quickly realized it made me look foolish and didn't win me points with my peers. So save yourself some time and money and don't try and show the whole world you're an EMT

Good luck and I wish you the best. There are lots of great experience to be had, especially if you plan on moving into emergency services or healthcare. Remember: Once school is over, the learning has only just begun. Keep learning and don't be complacent. Know why you do or don't do certain things. Be a healthcare professional not a protocol monkey. Knowledge is power and the key to being a great EMT rather than a mediocre one.

• Upvote 1

Certain UK trusts have personal issue Paramedic bags... ;-)  But yeah, I agree with that. I've seen people with all kinds of utility belts and 'tactical' style vests. You just look ridiculous.

And definitely, you'll always be learning. Even with years of experience, you could still come across things you haven't seen before. Never be afraid to ask for advice, whether that be from crewmates, or ringing clinical support (I don't know if you guys have that in the US. Over here, there's Paramedics etc. in EOC that you can ring for advice). It's much better to admit you don't know something, that try and wing it and get it wrong.

• Upvote 1

Right now you're in class so focus on class, worry about the other stuff after you've passed the NREMT and gotten on somewhere. Some people will say that there is a major difference between what is taught in "the book" and what you need to know "in the streets", these people are mistaken. The book does operate under ideal circumstances but don't be that guy who blows off the classroom instruction and dumb stuff because you'll never need it or you'll do it diffirently. For now focus on getting through the class, there are lots of things about being an EMT that you can't learn in class but while you've got the time focus on the book learning. If you learn enough about what connects to what and does what you can better diagnose what's going on with a patient in the future. I also recommend EMTprep.com, especially their youtube videos on the NREMT practical skills, those really helped me.

And always remember "BSI, scene safety"

• Upvote 1

A little update for anybody who cares:

I have been in class for roughly a month now and take my 2nd exam tomorrow. I got a 92% on my first exam and I'm feeling good about my exam tomorrow. I am now CPR certified and will be First Aid certified soon. I am currently in the process of applying to my local Private BLS Agencies as a First Responder/Driver and I start my EMT ride-alongs and hospital rotations soon.

Thanks for your guidance everybody.  

If you want to be off duty, be OFF DUTY. if you are ID'd as an EMT or above in OH you are expected to act. Dont be afraid to ask questions or admit you don't know. The squad (what most depts call the ambulance around here) has communications equipment for a reason.  If you must, carry a scanner instead of a radio. You dont want to be that guy that hops on the two way every time he sees a fender bender...

Another update: I passed EMT-B and take the NREMT tomorrow afternoon.

On 8/26/2016 at 10:08 AM, OCP9001 said:

If you want to be off duty, be OFF DUTY. if you are ID'd as an EMT or above in OH you are expected to act. Dont be afraid to ask questions or admit you don't know. The squad (what most depts call the ambulance around here) has communications equipment for a reason.  If you must, carry a scanner instead of a radio. You dont want to be that guy that hops on the two way every time he sees a fender bender...

I live in Florida so I have 2 major points to respond to what you said

• In my area, there are 0 volunteers, all full time career firefighters in the city and county, the city and county fire dept are also dedicated ALS providers (they only staff ALS Engines and Ambulances, no BLS) and can probably get to anything faster than I could.
  • Florida only has a Duty to Act law if you are employed by a government agnecy (ie fire dept, police, etc.) and Private/Unemployed EMT's do not fall under Duty to Act. (I'm still gonna help if I see something though)
  • Upvote 1

Congrats and welcome, and you are partially correct in reference to Florida's duty to act, if it is obvious to a reasonable person that you are a trained professional i.e. you have decalled the crap outta your pov it can create a duty to act even if you are off duty/unemployed. As for the lack of Volunteer positions you'd be surprised even in South Florida alot of larger agencies have at least some volunteers. Never stop learning, and never forget why we do what we do.