tysohug

Volunteer F.F

I'm a former Vol. FF.  I was going to be a career, but 2 weeks before I was supposed to start on Green Bay Fire Department, they diagnosed me with Asthma (was sick at the time with a nice chest cold, maybe that sku'd the test).  Now no city will hire me.  Worst, I have the degree, I interned with a fire department for 2 semesters, and had been a volunteer for about 6 years when that happened, and I knew I could do the job.  I was a paid-on-call (similar to Vol. for those of you not familiar with it, just we get a wage when we have a call and respond) after the diagnosis too.

Oh well, guess things happen for a reason.  I really do miss it.

7 hours ago, n00bingtarget said:

I'm a former Vol. FF.  I was going to be a career, but 2 weeks before I was supposed to start on Green Bay Fire Department, they diagnosed me with Asthma (was sick at the time with a nice chest cold, maybe that sku'd the test).  Now no city will hire me.  Worst, I have the degree, I interned with a fire department for 2 semesters, and had been a volunteer for about 6 years when that happened, and I knew I could do the job.  I was a paid-on-call (similar to Vol. for those of you not familiar with it, just we get a wage when we have a call and respond) after the diagnosis too.

Oh well, guess things happen for a reason.  I really do miss it.

I wouldn't be able to cope with that news. How have you coped?

Well, I have always had an interest in computers, so that was my fall back job.  I am hoping that one day when my children are older and I move somewhere more rural, I can get back to being a volunteer.  I know that they have some more options.  Cities won't take the liability.  I was a fire fighter after that diagnosis, so I know the job isn't an issue for me.

Knowing several fire fighters on the local fire department (I interned with some of them) helps too.