BogdanM

A few beginner modding questions.

Hang on to your hat because the numbers will make you head spin.

- car body = 2875 triangles (4 separate doors and a rough interior)

- 2x front door = 194 tris each

- pushbar = 226 tris

- trunk = 240 tris

- 4x wheel = 124 tris each

- fedsig arjent = 264 tris 

- code 3 mx7000 = 294 tris (it's got spinning lights and mirrors, I thought I could make the dome see through but that doesn't seem in EM4)

- fedsig vision = 646 tris 

So a full car would be from 4263 up to 4909 triangles... Well I'd be damned!

The textures are: a 1024x1024 image for the exterior, a 512x512 image for the interior, a  512x512 image for the extras (wheels, spotlight, lightbar, pushbar, mirrors). I've reduced the resolution by 50% and the quality difference is barely noticeable ingame, but the fps increase isn't all that impressive, maybe 5+ fps. But I'm definitely keeping the low res textures.

I've tried the Decimate modifier in Blender to quickly get rid of some of the polys, I can take out about 20-30% of the polys before the textures begin to stretch. I could also delete the interior and make the back doors a 2D plane, but I'd like to know how can I to set the back doors to open when I put inside an arrested person? Do I need to write a script for that? The back seats and the doors don't have many polys so I'd rather keep them if I can use them. 

EDIT: I've worked on the car model and got it down to 3224 polys from 4263. All cv variants should now be under 3.5k polys. I've tested it ingame and I haven't noticed a fps improvement, but to be honest I can't really tell because the fps is all over the place every time I move the camera or some civilian pops into the view. The game is definitely playable even if there's a bit of lag so I'm fine with that. I do plan on making a completely new model sometime in the future but I want to start working on something new before I get bored. :)

The things that contribute to lag would be the size of the model (poly wise) the size and amount of textures and the lights on it. FPS is usually weird for this game. I'd recommend cutting all the doors out except for one front door and one rear door. To use the rear door, you need to set it as special and use a script to activate that door. Take a look at MikeyPI's NYC Mod, there's the backdoor script in there. Cut out all but the basics for the interior will help too. I usually do a half vehicle for each door that opens. Like one boxy looking seat, texture it black leather, and repeat for the rear. For the game's purposes, that's all you really need. 

As for the transparent lightbar, save the vehicle texture as a png or a dds with alpha and create a semi transparent area for the outside texture of the bar. You'll need to have a more advanced program for editing than paint ;)

I haven't seen your wireframe, but I bet there could be some fat trimmed off of the interior and the doors. Two doors on a CV is more than enough imo

Let me know how it goes!

I won't be spending any more time on that model, I've made too many mistakes on it to be worth saving. I'll do a couple other vehicles to get some practice then I'll do another Crown Vic, a much better one hopefully. Right now I've started working on a 2011 Dodge Charger, the car body is almost done, with only the front doors and the trunk as separate objects. My main objective is for the car body + interior not to exceed 1500 triangles (so I have to clean up the model quite a bit). I'll keep in mind all the useful tips you gave me and fingers crossed it won't it so many fps this time.

IreExIw.png

Y2x9eER.png

One question i have to ask, how do i get blender to export to v3o?, i've started trying to work on models but everytime i try to export it comes up as an error, is there anyway i can fix that?

Can you tell me what does the error say? Are you using this Blender script or something else? 

Beside that script, I also use a script for exporting separate objects within a blender file. Import/Export Selected script (to get it, click on the "Current version download button", save all the text in a text file, then enable seeing the file extensions and replace .txt with .py; then install it just like you did with the v3o script; that's how I did it, I couldn't find where to download the .py file)

If this is the first time you set up a car model for EM4, I can make a short tutorial for you that covers the basics once we fix the problem with the export.

Can you tell me what does the error say? Are you using this Blender script or something else? 

Beside that script, I also use a script for exporting separate objects within a blender file. Import/Export Selected script (to get it, click on the "Current version download button", save all the text in a text file, then enable seeing the file extensions and replace .txt with .py; then install it just like you did with the v3o script; that's how I did it, I couldn't find where to download the .py file)

If this is the first time you set up a car model for EM4, I can make a short tutorial for you that covers the basics once we fix the problem with the export.

i managed to get a screenshot of the error

http://postimg.org/image/nbfjmm2ex/

One question i have to ask, how do i get blender to export to v3o?, i've started trying to work on models but everytime i try to export it comes up as an error, is there anyway i can fix that?

You're missing a texture add the texture to the material and you will be able to export

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where can i make or create a texture?

I usually can export models with no texture attached without any problems. Are you using a model that came with a texture or is it something you made from scratch?

If you want to, you can send me your model via PM and I'll check it out and try to figure out what's the problem.

I usually can export models with no texture attached without any problems. Are you using a model that came with a texture or is it something you made from scratch?

If you want to, you can send me your model via PM and I'll check it out and try to figure out what's the problem.

a friend of mine who also plays EM4 had got the cab pack that itchboy made and sent them to me a while back but i haven`t made any attempt to make anything till now since im new to modding and modeling 3d models , i can texture the cab but if itchboy does not want me using them i can respect that and will delete them from my computer if he wants me to do so

a friend of mine who also plays EM4 had got the cab pack that itchboy made and sent them to me a while back but i haven`t made any attempt to make anything till now since im new to modding and modeling 3d models , i can texture the cab but if itchboy does not want me using them i can respect that and will delete them from my computer if he wants me to do so

Alright. I'm pretty sure he doesn't mind using his model for practice, I'm not sure though about releasing it. You should contact him.

I assume the vehicle model came with a texture. To apply it to the model you have to click on the Materials tab. The model might already have materials assigned to it, if it does, select a material, then click on the Texture tab. If it doesn't have any materials, press Tab, then Ctrl+A to select all the vertices, then click new in the Materials tab and press Assign button, then go to the Texture tab. If there's nothing there click new, then open->select the texture from you hardrive (best way is to move it in the same folder with the model), then under Mapping->Maps, select the uv map. There should be one there. 

This is how to apply the exterior body texture, if the model has multiple textures, you'll have to apply each one to the correct material. To check which material is applied where on the model, press Tab (Edit mode), then click on the material and press the Select button and it will highlight the portion of the model where the material is applied.

If I explained it poorly and you can't get it to work, just watch a video tutorial on how to apply textures in Blender. :)

JTCBhTC.png

Alright. I'm pretty sure he doesn't mind using his model for practice, I'm not sure though about releasing it. You should contact him.

I assume the vehicle model came with a texture. To apply it to the model you have to click on the Materials tab. The model might already have materials assigned to it, if it does, select a material, then click on the Texture tab. If it doesn't have any materials, press Tab, then Ctrl+A to select all the vertices, then click new in the Materials tab and press Assign button, then go to the Texture tab. If there's nothing there click new, then open->select the texture from you hardrive (best way is to move it in the same folder with the model), then under Mapping->Maps, select the uv map. There should be one there. 

This is how to apply the exterior body texture, if the model has multiple textures, you'll have to apply each one to the correct material. To check which material is applied where on the model, press Tab (Edit mode), then click on the material and press the Select button and it will highlight the portion of the model where the material is applied.

If I explained it poorly and you can't get it to work, just watch a video tutorial on how to apply textures in Blender. :)

JTCBhTC.png

i managed to get the skin on the cab but now im hitting a couple other problems since i`m tying to create the mid and rear body of the engine from scratch 

Feel free to go and do what you want. I only require permission if you are releasing it for public use. I assume you are attempting a Long Beach FD Seageave?

Feel free to go and do what you want. I only require permission if you are releasing it for public use. I assume you are attempting a Long Beach FD Seageave?

i appreciate you letting me use them and i`m definitely gonna ask for your permission to release them firs, also yes i am trying to make a Long Beach FD Seagrave Engine and Tiller truck.

You either have to remove all the textures and all the materials

Or

You have to find all the textures and add them to the materials missing textures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good job! the units look awesome! Keep it up :bia:

Thank you! The textures will receive a major makeover to give some visual aid to the car outline. I plan on making another two vehicles and maybe after the first release I will try to do a nice looking Bearcat. JANJUA was very kind and offered his help doing the lights setup, which is a very good thing since my attempt was a major fail... :D

Looks amazing!!! Are you single??? ;)

Get in line, you're not the first one who's been courting me. :)) I don't mind the attention though. :P

Um, thats looks great!  I would advice you use "smooth" on the moddels.

So earlier I thought you were talking about "Smooth vertices" feature, which is nice but it also moves the vertices around. But yesterday I stumbled upon "Smooth faces" and it changed my life. All the jagginess of the model just gone, puff... (I assume that's the smooth you were talking about)

I'd also like to ask some advice from anyone who knows how textures work. Since using low poly models didn't improve the performance as much as I would have hoped for, I'm suspecting the way I use textures might be at fault. I've mentioned it in a previous post I'll go over it again, on all the cars I use three textures:

- a 1024x1024 image for body of the stock car - this image is used by the car frame, 2 front doors and the trunk door

- a 512x512 image for all the extras (lightbar, pushbar, wheel, sidemirror, spotlight) - this image is used by the car frame and each of the wheels

- a 512x512 image for the interior which is attached to the car frame

Beside scaling down all the textures, which I did with minimal improvements, is there anything I can do to optimize the way the game uses textures? I'll also try to cramp together both the exterior and interior textures into one image. Would it help if I split the texture image for all the extras into separate smaller images that only contain the wheel, the lightbar texture?