The Governor

Random words become links and can't 'like' posts

Hello,

I've noticed in posts that random words will become links.  Is this Emergency Planet's way of having ads?  Or ?

Second, for a while now when I try to 'like' posts it tells me that I've filled my like quota for the day (not verbatim, of course).  Obviously, this isn't true, as I am not an active poster or thread reader.

Hey Arariel,

To your first question, the answer is yes. Emergency Planet uses VigLink which replaces words with link. I hate it but it is better than A. paying for EmPlanet or B. It closing.

Secondly, I have no clue, you will have to wait for some other forumite.

Cya Around,

Elliot Padfield

Geeky answered correctly for your first question, thank you for that @ Geeky.

The second question is simply because we have that feature installed, but we have it disabled for regular users.  There is nothing wrong with your account in that regard, but we've disabled it by making it so that you are not permitted to "like" things, rather than totally disabling the feature we went the simplest route which was to just set the quota to 0.

Thanks @Geeky!

Geeky answered correctly for your first question, thank you for that @ Geeky.

The second question is simply because we have that feature installed, but we have it disabled for regular users.  There is nothing wrong with your account in that regard, but we've disabled it by making it so that you are not permitted to "like" things, rather than totally disabling the feature we went the simplest route which was to just set the quota to 0.

Is there a specific reason for not having it enabled?  Or does the administration just not want a like system?

Thanks @Geeky!

Is there a specific reason for not having it enabled?  Or does the administration just not want a like system?

I think it's more a way to let the Moderators/Administrators give gratitude or agree on a specific post, but not allowing members so that it doesn't get abused.

The like system, on paper sounds like a positive thing to enable, but the problem with it is that it can be abused by members to essentially "push" reputations for people while snubbing others.  In essence, it becomes more about popularity instead of substance. For example say someone releases updates to a mod, or releases a mod, many people will like this individual's posts merely for giving them content.  On the same flip of a coin though, someone else could be focused on helping people out with their problems, or teaching people things in the other parts of the forum and generally being helpful to members but because they're not giving out content as the other user is, less people will "like" this individual's contributions even though in the end they are just as useful as the full-blown mod is.  

Aside from the above example someone could get their friends to like all of their posts just to promote their reputation which once again would negate the benefit of the system if people are abusing it to push up their reputation via "likes". Then you also have the people who will like someone's posts and in return expect that user to like their posts, not unlike the current facebook like system and how many of it's users have professed to me to use it.  It might not seem as though it would be a problem from the outside looking in, but similar to the posts equating to rankings, you from time to time will see users post excessively with the intention of bumping their post count since on many forums the number of posts a user has is used to denote their status within the community (not stating that is the case on this particular forum, but on other forums it commonly is how other users will gauge one another's "experience"). In the end the "like" system would probably have similar results.

Hopefully this clarifies why we've turned this particular accessory off within this site, in the end it boils down to how users would use it and the likelihood of abuse which would result with it turned on for general users. Since we can't really regulate the methodology of how and when it should be used without writing more rules/regulations to go along with it, it's much easier to just leave it disable at this time. Given that the "like" system is directly linked to a "Reputation" system it would be highly likely to be abused.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.