Kokiri

Adding your own Personnel/Vehicles

Top of the site is a button that says 'Tutorials'.

I am blind....

EDIT: Did just look at the section.. and there's nothing that answers my question expect like one about vehicles, Personnel is another question

Edited by Kokiri

I am blind....

EDIT: Did just look at the section.. and there's nothing that answers my question expect like one about vehicles, Personnel is another question

Nah, a lot of people miss it!

If you mean taking them from one mod to another, this is pretty simple. Just copy and paste the model, texture and prototype file (If you want it as a new person and not to replace a current one, in which case you just need the model and texture) over. Then assign everything in the editor.

Can you assure me that you really are blind please, the moderators will not allow childness on this site. I can show you but assure me you are or aren't blind.

It's a figure of speech he used.  He stated "I am blind" as in the fact that he missed the tutorials section...  We would not bother someone for such things, please do not speak for us we can speak on our own quite well..

@Kokiri to expand on what pottyscotty said, sometimes you will have to edit the properties within the editor to change out the commands since different mods will have different scripts.  Your best bet is to try the just copy the prototypes and model/texture for the vehicle from the first mod to the mod you want it in, try to load it, if it loads/works fine all's well and ends well.  If it doesnt load right and/or crashes when you hit a command button, then you'll have to load up the editor, open an existing vehicle that has the same commands that you want your "new" car to have, and make sure that you remove the original commands from the "new" vehicle and replicate the ones from the existing vehicle, it should work then.

Ah I see now, I copied over the models and units over yesterday of only one personnel wanting to keep the prototypes of the original mod [this is before I posted it] and it comes up with the missing model file I see now I need to use the editor then I guess.

Thanks for the help! 

EDIT: Just messed around in editor the original files i want to transfer come up as missing model file?? I transferred over the model, texture and protoypes 

If i was to replace personnel is that the only files I need to C+P? because when I first tried it it just says missing model file and then I opened up editor and got above again

The reason the editor shows the "missing model" box with the # things all over it is because when you copied it over, the file structure was different from the original mod vs the one you've added it to.  What this means is the prototype is looking for the model in the file structure of the old mod.  To fix this you'll have to ensure that the model/texture files for the thing you wish to add are in your new mod folder, load the editor, load the prototype and manually find the file for the prototype within your "new" mod.  Once you find it and load it within the prototype, then press "ok" and the model will be saved to that prototype file.

To summarize: copying the model files directly in your instance does not work because the old mod had a different file structure than the new one.

IE:

Mod01\models\vehicles\01lapolice\

vs

Mod02\models\vehicles\police\

because of this difference when the proto looks for the model file, it won't find it because it isnt in the folder where it is looking for it.  Very simple to fix this by manually re-linking the model file to the proto within the new mod's structure.

Vehicles are the same routine, there are just more prototypes for the doors, trunklids, wheels etc. Hunt them down and re-add the models back, the only difference for vehicles is the fact you have to alter the commands to match the "new" mod so you don't end up with a crash.  The easiest way is to copy a vehicle's commands from the "new" mod that mimic the things you want the one you're importing in.  If you're lucky the scripts won't need alterations to accommodate the new vehicle.  If the scripts need work, then yeah that can get painful.

The prototype files are kept within the same folder as the vehicle body is in most mods EX: Mod\Prototypes\Vehicles\

To find them in the editor is usually a bit harder.

Usually, for the sake of organizing things, people place the door protos and wheel protos under a different structure within the editor. While the protos are found in the same folder in the physical location, in the editor they are usually found as follows for EX:

_VehicleParts_doors

_VehicleParts_super

_VehicleParts_wheels

Doors are where you'll find the corresponding doors for the vehicle, super is where structures that are added to the vehicle (such as ladder pieces) would be found, wheels is where the vehicle wheels are found.

The process for fixing their mistakes is much the same as the actual body, you just simply relocate the model file that corresponds to the part and the missing box will disappear and be replaced by the appropriate model/texture.

For things like the Lightbars it will vary depending on the modification, some will place them under super, some will create their own folder location within the editor and possibly within the root structure of the mod.  You will have to look a bit to find the misc. parts if the mod was not that organized by the creator, which can be a problem with what we class as "sub-mods" since many use an existing mod's structure but add additional folders to it which don't follow the original mod's structure.

This video series might be of some help. I essentially walk you through the entire process of adding a vehicle from scratch. Just modify the procedure to fit your needs. As stated above, adding personnel is more or less the same as adding vehicles.