Newfoundking

Policy: Distinction between Mod and Submod

If there are any questions or comments, please ask

Purpose: 

To provide a clear distinction between original content mods and submods in a way that does not degrade the work of submods, but allows users to easily identify the amount of work put in by the author or authors responsible. This distinction will also easily provide credit and homage to those who have developed the original content in which the submods are based off of. This is a rebirth of the original submod/mod policy, which was made confusing with the open sourcing of the Los Angeles mod. This enactment will serve as an update to the old policy to function in a more open content world we currently operate in. 

Definition

Submod: A modification of content which is based heavily off of another original mod. This will include structure, content and/or scripts. Additions of certain types of content, such as reskins, does not constitute full original content. If the original structure and set up is maintained, the mod remains a submod. 

Original Content: A piece of content designed specifically for this purpose, built from the ground up. In the case of a model, this means the model as well as the UV Map (skin) was designed specifically for this purpose. The case of a script means it was designed solely for this mod, built from the ground up, and not an edit. 

Mod: A modification for the game created by a single author, or a team, which has designed a minimum number of content, defined below, specifically for this use. A full mod must have its own file structure, and not one taken from another mod. This mod must be a fully functioning release, with only reasonable numbers of bugs allowed. If the gameplay is too buggy for full functions, it will be considered a BETA release only.

A mod that does not meet the requirements of the definition of Mod, with a minimum of 10 pieces of original content, or 25% of the mod is eligible to be identified as a mod. If the mod has the minimum content requirements, as well as its own file structure, it will be considered a mod. 

Minimum Content Requirement: Required in a mod to be considered a full mod, the mod must be composed of at least 10 pieces or 25% of original content, whichever is greater. Content applicable includes models, scripts, or other works, designed specifically for use in this mod. A reskin does not qualify as original content. 

Multiple Content Creator Merging with ORIGINAL CONTENT

This occurs in mods when a mod author combines content from several different mods to create one mod in and of itself. When a mod is compiled from several different mods, it still must meet the minimum original content requirements defined above to be considered a full mod. This applies to mods that have a mishmash file structure of borrowed content from other mods. While we strongly recommend building your own clean file structure, so long as the structure is not 1:1 to another mod, it can be considered a full mod if it meets the other requirements. 

Multiple Content Creator Merging WITHOUT ORIGINAL CONTENT

A mod compiled of multiple mods mashed together to form the one, using reskins as the method of making it a single mod will not qualify for full mod status unless it has the minimum original content required above. If it does not, it will be classified as a submod. In this case, it is obviously not a submod of just one mod, so it is required to be noted as such. Ex. Content from NYC, LA, and Montana are merged to create a single mod. "The Newfoundland Submod - NYC, LA, Montana

Exceptions

If a mod was discontinued by the original author or team, and a new author obtains permission to continue the mod, with new updates to the original mod, following the typical update style, then the mod will be considered a mod. Ex. The Winterberg Mod team has decided to disband. Six months later, the modding group composed of four members contacts the team, and obtains permission to continue developing new versions. This would be considered a full mod, not a submod. The mod must be continued with the expressed permission of the original author, with the understanding these versions are "official."

Mods based off of the original mod at hand, but have a major content upgrade may be considered on a case by case basis for full mod status. This could include mods receiving a total model overhaul of aging models to their new real life counterparts, an updated map, and/or new scripts. The work used for this overhaul MUST be original for this project in question. For consideration to full mod status, the staff will take in consideration the amount of work associated with the upgrades, as well as if permission was obtained from the original author if reasonable* for this content upgrade. Instances this could be seen would include (but not limited to) if a current day mod was to be back dated to an older time period, but the author wants to continue forward in his current time frame. If permission was not obtained then the mod may not be eligible for full mod status.

*If the author has since left the site, abandoning his work, has not made any contact, and all reasonable efforts of obtaining permission were not answered, the staff, on a case to case basis, may acknowledge the mod as a full version without consent from the author.  Reasonable contact WILL be determined by the staff and not by the particular member.

If someone wants to help sort what goes where that would be appreciated.  We don't try all mods so we don't know where exactly all of them are from/what to re-label them as.

I think you should lock and sticky this for all to read when setting up any new forum topic. Maybe reorganize some of the current topics we have to be more fitting with this guideline, a forum system for site-wide labeling perhaps. I know that the LA Mod sub-forums are a bit of a mess as there are only "unreleased" and "approved" sections and the main forum is a free-for-all. Maybe having these more clearly distinguished rules and guidelines will help police members from creating topics they cannot label appropriately.

This topic is going to remain open for people to keep asking questions and the like. I'm going to begin moving topics soon, probably tomorrow pending my schedule, and I'm going to be having this policy announcement in the top of each of them. 

thank you for your suggestion

I do have a question.  While I haven't posted anything on the mod I started in some time, I still have been refining it, but at this point it will probably become a personal mod (Hometown USA)

Based on the above definitions it probably would be considered a SUBMOD of the LA Mod.

My question is, let's assume I decided to release it, and later I started adding more stuff that is custom, like custom map, maybe some models.  Would that then move it to a MOD and not a SUBMOD?  I ask for people who start wiht reskins and maybe evolve into more.

Absolutely. We encourage you to improve your mods with your own content. If for you that means releasing a small submod first, and eventually working it up with original content, then we'll absolutely move you into the Mod section. As long as a mod has met the requirements, we will happily allow it to become a full mod