Ace612

Blackwood County (Fictional), OR

You would NEVER see the jaws on a USFS truck, they don't even fight structural fires. In some of the larger parks (Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Yosemite etc) the NPS provides structural fire protection and rescue. In most of the smaller parks the "gateway communities" or the small communities around the park provide structural fire and rescue. If you wanted to make this like a big park where the NPS does extrication you might want to model the units on the ones below.

Yellowstone_Engine3.jpg

Type -1 Fire Engine, in most parks this would carry MVA extrication equipment (jaws) as well as structural firefighting equipment.

35288.jpg

This is the Rescue unit at Grand Canyon National Park, if you wanted a specialized NPS units to carry the Jaws this would be the one, it also carries other extrication and rescue equipment.

I little bit of information on NPS fire and aviation can be found here http://www.nps.gov/fire/

The comment you made is not entirely true. My buddy is a USFS firefighter and I went to visit him. I got a truck tour and there were in fact Jaws on his brush engines for use during scenes that require extrication. I asked him about them and he said they are the first due units for vehicle accidents within the national forests so therefore they will do extrication if needed.

An interesting fact I learned about the NPS service is that there are only 22  national park engine companies throughout the USA

The comment you made is not entirely true. My buddy is a USFS firefighter and I went to visit him. I got a truck tour and there were in fact Jaws on his brush engines for use during scenes that require extrication. I asked him about them and he said they are the first due units for vehicle accidents within the national forests so therefore they will do extrication if needed.

An interesting fact I learned about the NPS service is that there are only 22  national park engine companies throughout the USA

huh, cool. I didn't know the USFS did anything of the sort but I suppose it makes sense in extremely rural areas. I will concede that I am not as familiar with USFS operations as I am with NPS operations.

Yea I found it to be very interesting at some of the stuff they carried on the brush engines and all. I didn't know anything  about the NPS fire department side until I started following a guy who is a firefighter at the statue of liberty on instagram.

Yea I found it to be very interesting at some of the stuff they carried on the brush engines and all. I didn't know anything  about the NPS fire department side until I started following a guy who is a firefighter at the statue of liberty on instagram.

Statue of Liberty has some "unique" equipment and procedures, I do love their dorky little rig though, its so cute

10671302_561195940647873_675126919424388

A little update
Here's an image of some map scenery
ggOMfRI.png
(credits - that Ford pickup - itchboy. Do I even need to write that down under every image, or could I just mention it in the first post/for the new models included?)

A substantial update for the map tetxture/layout is coming (no worries, it will not by any chance change the setting or anything like that)
Well, maybe couple percent of the forests will be taken down to build a road. Damn, emergency, you're so simulator.

Just mention it for the first time you showcase it. IF you're showcasing something else after the initial release of it, like say this forest, you're not required to credit the pickup again. That being said, if you do some more work on that pickup and decide to showcase it again, it'd be a good idea to credit itch again, to avoid confusion. 

One more thing... I just re-read the first post. Is there going to be a hospital on map?

More of a medical center thing, but this one is supposed to support the NP, so it'll be a bit more well-equipped than, for example, the Monida Pass one. I'm not talking a city-large ambo service, but more than one rig, that's for sure.

Imagine someone light it up... lol

OMG. I guess you would have to call like 50 air tankers just to put out all the fires. I hate those type of calls. LOL

Also will forest fires be frequent in this mod or not?

OMG. I guess you would have to call like 50 air tankers just to put out all the fires. I hate those type of calls. LOL

Also will forest fires be frequent in this mod or not?

Well, any fire will have a potential of becoming a forest fire very fast, so you gonna need some good response times. I may tune down the possibility of brush fires a little bit, as any of them would likely become one of these "usual callout turned epic" situations. But yeah, they'll be quite frequent.

Don't worry, though, mod is planned to include a variety of tools, useful to improve your response times - an FD chopper, though offmap one, that will be able to rappel firefighters (probably they will have extinguishers auto equipped on rappelling), ATVs with minimum equipment, but able to get to the fire's epicenter fast, and brush patrol trucks, which will be able to, ehm... patrol?

May also buff the air tanker - shorten it's downtime a bit. If that's possible.

Also, forest fire 101 - you don't put them out, you prevent their spreading.and wait.

Any chance of a bulldozer or something? Even if you just gave it the 'cut' command that would be very cool.

I'll think about it. That's actually a good idea, but I don't know if I would be able to implement that and how hard that may be.

May do some cut-out strips (pre-mapped). You know, like the ones they actually use to prevent forest fires from spreading.

I'll think about it. That's actually a good idea, but I don't know if I would be able to implement that and how hard that may be.

May do some cut-out strips (pre-mapped). You know, like the ones they actually use to prevent forest fires from spreading.

I've been thinking about trying it for brush-breakers (Brush trucks that can plow down trees that we use in southeastern MA) but you would have to make it so the bulldozer could drive over the stump somewhere in the script or something.

Those things are called "fire roads" and are access roads (much like the ones already on the map) that are not much more than a dirt track through the forest but can allow the quick access of equipment and can be widened in a hurry.

Remember also that MOST forest fires are not fought with fire trucks they're fought with hand crews and that's a style of firefighting that EM4 doesn't really support.

Those things are called "fire roads" and are access roads (much like the ones already on the map) that are not much more than a dirt track through the forest but can allow the quick access of equipment and can be widened in a hurry.

Remember also that MOST forest fires are not fought with fire trucks they're fought with hand crews and that's a style of firefighting that EM4 doesn't really support.

Well then, seems we have already taken care of the fire roads :D. Anyway, forest is divided into smaller bunches, and chances of fire going over from one bunch to another are pretty slim. Especially after the last map upd I made, which divides the forest a bit more.