Ace612

Blackwood County (Fictional), OR

Blackwood County is a work-in-progress mod project, that is aiming to depict the work of emergency services in rural parts of United States. In comparison with other popular mods of the similar theme, this mods focuses more on wilderness. It is based upon a custom freeplay map (in progress) that is aiming to recreate thick forests and steep hills of Pacific Northwest:

(last update - June 29th, 2015)
QGNOAoT.png
A custom made map, with base created from bits and pieces of EM4 mission maps and a portion of Terrow's "Western NY Map v0.5"

As you can see, 65-75% of the map are covered with dense forests, a serpentine road with quite big height changes can be found on the southern edge of the map and a portion of small town called Pine Rock can be found on south-east. Bear in mind, that the map depicted in here may not depict current progress.

Planned units/agencies for the mod:

Green - Ready

Yellow - No texture/seperate numbered unit

Red - Only plans

* - Base vehicles may change during development
Firefighters + EMT

National Park Service FD - FF/EMT:
Pine Rock National Park Station 1
Fire Chief/Command Vehicle
Type III Wildland Engine
Type VI Brush Patrol
LEV/Light Rescue
Rapid Response Quad Bikes

US Forest Service Firefighters - FF Only:
Offmap assistance:
Type III Wildland engine*
Type II Water Tender

Hotshot Crew Transport Truck
Brush Patrol

Utility
Helitack N97HJ

Possibly additional units.

Pine Rock Volunteer Fire Dept - FF/EMT:

Pine Rock Volunteer Fire House
Tanker
Rescue Engine
Brush Rescue/LEV

Blackwood Regional Medical Center Ambulance Service - EMT:

Yet undecided - several ambulance units (+ possible medical helicopter)

Law Enforcement

Blackwood County Sheriff's Office:

Pine Rock Station

Patrol 63

Patrol 64

Traffic 62

K9 Unit 65
Prisoner Transport

Possible additional units

US Park Rangers & US Park Police:

Pine Rock National Park Rangers' Station - located in the NP itself

Undecided amount/type of units on CVPI, Chevrolet Tahoe and Silverado basis

Offmap assistance:

USPP Bell-412 Helicopter

Oregon State Troopers

Offmap assistance only

OSP CVPI
OSP Dodge Charger 2013
OSP Ford Expedition

OSP SWAT 1
OSP SWAT 2
OSP Explosives Unit

TEC Units are yet undecided, but will, of course, include tow truck(s), an engineer vehicle and a crane

Screenshots (credits under a second spoiler):

BCSO Vehicles:
I2HfHQP.png

Park Ranger and USPP Units:

xbWDLUR.png
OSP Units:

hoZYgyq.png
USFS Units:
XGLB2vf.png

Credits:

Custom made and edited models by THVFD, lapdlafd, Ace612

Base models of units and accessories by NNico, itchboy, cops, EmC-unit, bama1234, Terrow, iglheaz, RK-1000, Engine.Co.7, LA Mod
Textures by Ace612
Map by Ace612

Community's opinion is valued - post your comments and suggestions below

If you wish to join the development process, feel free to contact me via PM.

Currently assisting on development:
Fred03
THVFD
lapdlafd Edited by Ace612
  • Like 1

One thing though, it is a personal preference though so don't go changing it. But the CVPI wheels aren't they the civilian ones? I've always preferred the steel rims for the Vic.

Yep, I believe they are. I'd love to get the proper wheels on it. Probably will get ones from bama's accessories pack, along with Crown Vic from there, as NNico's doors aren't openable (it was intended as a civilian car, I believe).

UPD: Nope, bama's Vic has 2k textures, which makes it more detailed than any other vehicle in the mod :D. Slower rigs may not like 2k vehicles in combination with the map (mine, for example :( ), so I'll keep those CVPIs for now, though I will use bama's wheels.

Give your opinion on the project

Thank you for crediting the content owners.

I have a Lenco BEAR and Beacat model currently completed but unwilling to share due to recent issues and they are preserved for my mod.

I also have a Chevrolet Silverado HD2500 model WIP, but stopped due to the conflict.

I would recommend using Nnico's CVPI model instead of mine. Mine was intended for civilian use only. I dont know where to find a link for it but it is still somewhere around the interwebz.

The units look great so far. I had many many lightbar and LED packages available previously but shut them down due to the recent conflict as well.

I would recommend using Nnico's CVPI model instead of mine. Mine was intended for civilian use only. I dont know where to find a link for it but it is still somewhere around the interwebz.

I'm sure I saw Nnico's Vic, Ford E van & excursion on the emergency fan forums. I'll check when I get home and post the links unless someone can do it for me.

I'm sure I saw Nnico's Vic, Ford E van & excursion on the emergency fan forums. I'll check when I get home and post the links unless someone can do it for me.

Thank you for crediting the content owners.

I have a Lenco BEAR and Beacat model currently completed but unwilling to share due to recent issues and they are preserved for my mod.

I also have a Chevrolet Silverado HD2500 model WIP, but stopped due to the conflict.

The units look great so far. I had many many lightbar and LED packages available previously but shut them down due to the recent conflict as well.

Give your opinion on the project

i am in love with these skins and map texture

her is niccoos CVPI model dl link if you would like to use it

http://forum.emergency-planet.com/files/file/507-nnicos-crown-victoria/

Here, I'm curious about something. 

It's an interesting idea to have that much nature on the freeplay map, and given the assortment of events that the game gives, what do you intend to do?I want to know how you plan on making the events work? Aside from things like forest fires, etc. What are you planning? Injured campers, missing persons? What sort of thing?

Not dissing by any means, I'm just curious where it's going. It's definitely a different idea. 

If I may suggest perhaps picking one agency (National Park Service or US Forest Service) to emphasize, they each have their merits.

US Forest Service: Much more into wildland firefighting (air tankers, lots of type 3 engines and personal carriers), not so much into law enforcement, search and rescue or EMS

NPS: Have significant wildland firefighting assests (mostly type 6 engines but some type 3s) heavier on law enforcement with most rangers being EMTs as well. The NPS also does a lot more search and rescue and technical rescue kinda stuff.

I'm quite excited at the prospect of a wildness style mod, I have significant knowledge of NPS and USFS operations and equipment so feel free to ask anything.

I would suggest locating the NPS/USFS station more north, closer to the woods, and locating a small fire station in the town, with only an apparatus or two. My suggestion would be an engine and a tanker, if you're using the limited water script. Or two engines. Older apparatus, for sure, I would say.

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions/comments guys.

her is niccoos CVPI model dl link if you would like to use it

Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to update the CVPI model.

Here, I'm curious about something. 

It's an interesting idea to have that much nature on the freeplay map, and given the assortment of events that the game gives, what do you intend to do?I want to know how you plan on making the events work? Aside from things like forest fires, etc. What are you planning? Injured campers, missing persons? What sort of thing?

Not dissing by any means, I'm just curious where it's going. It's definitely a different idea. 

Well, you wouldn't see any "possible jumper" calls here, that's for sure (unless I'll make them work somehow with the bridges, but that's different :D ). And proper missing persons may be hard to create (not saying "impossible", as I said, I still didn't get to scrpiting), but there sure will be a lot of "hikers" in the woods, who, when injured, will be hard to reach using ground vehicles, so somehing like SAR operations will be needed. Injured campers will be there no doubt. Maybe criminals after shoplifting and that kind of stuff will run into the woods instead of running around the street, so you wouldn't be able to just send a CVPI with chase command, but you'll need to sweep the forest. And yeah, there is going to be an awful lot of forest fires.

If I may suggest perhaps picking one agency (National Park Service or US Forest Service) to emphasize, they each have their merits.

US Forest Service: Much more into wildland firefighting (air tankers, lots of type 3 engines and personal carriers), not so much into law enforcement, search and rescue or EMS

NPS: Have significant wildland firefighting assests (mostly type 6 engines but some type 3s) heavier on law enforcement with most rangers being EMTs as well. The NPS also does a lot more search and rescue and technical rescue kinda stuff.

I'm quite excited at the prospect of a wildness style mod, I have significant knowledge of NPS and USFS operations and equipment so feel free to ask anything.

Well, I was planning to combine both agencies - having the USFS take care of the firefighting aspect, with NPS units on standby (offmap assistance). Though switching them up may be a nice idea, as part of the map's woods is actually designated as a NP. And, back to topic, NPS would be taking care of most SAR operations and law enforcement in the forest (yup, the rangers would have medical capabilities on EMT level). With some mix ups, like USFS choppers being able to rappel a firefighter/airlift a victim (like the TEC/CG choppers).
And thanks for offering the knowledge - I'll be sure to contact you if, well, I would need some info, that isn't on USFS website (I mean, these guys are great, they even have all the color schemes for the trucks there). And yeah the first question, if, say, an MVA was to happen in the vicinity of a forest, could, theoretically, USFS forces be dispatched there (or should I ditch the jaws in all their trucks)?

I would suggest locating the NPS/USFS station more north, closer to the woods, and locating a small fire station in the town, with only an apparatus or two. My suggestion would be an engine and a tanker, if you're using the limited water script. Or two engines. Older apparatus, for sure, I would say.

I would love to do that, but I'm kind of stuck with this edition of map floor - it took an awful lot of time to create this - my laptop barely handles working with 8k images. I may change that, if I'm to find a set location for the USFS fire station, to add it quickly with no need to move the texture around a lot :D. Also, in that case I would need to find some small fire stations for a start, like the one that will be used in the woods and the one that will be a small town station.

About the limited water script in the mod - that's what I wanted to ask you guys - does this mod need it, or will it potentially become too hardcore due to absence of hydrants and potential scope of fires? Also, if I am to implement that script, I'll need to find a commercial chassis-based tanker model for the USFS.

And thanks for offering the knowledge - I'll be sure to contact you if, well, I would need some info, that isn't on USFS website (I mean, these guys are great, they even have all the color schemes for the trucks there). And yeah the first question, if, say, an MVA was to happen in the vicinity of a forest, could, theoretically, USFS forces be dispatched there (or should I ditch the jaws in all their trucks)?

You would NEVER see the jaws on a USFS truck, they don't even fight structural fires. In some of the larger parks (Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Yosemite etc) the NPS provides structural fire protection and rescue. In most of the smaller parks the "gateway communities" or the small communities around the park provide structural fire and rescue. If you wanted to make this like a big park where the NPS does extrication you might want to model the units on the ones below.

Yellowstone_Engine3.jpg

Type -1 Fire Engine, in most parks this would carry MVA extrication equipment (jaws) as well as structural firefighting equipment.

35288.jpg

This is the Rescue unit at Grand Canyon National Park, if you wanted a specialized NPS units to carry the Jaws this would be the one, it also carries other extrication and rescue equipment.

I little bit of information on NPS fire and aviation can be found here http://www.nps.gov/fire/

You would NEVER see the jaws on a USFS truck...

As I've suspected. Thanks for the info. I don't believe the NP I'm trying to depict is large enough for an own big firestation. Most likely, the local VFD will take care of MVA and similar calls.

And yeah - an update:

Screenshots:

jd9KQKy.png

New CVPI with updated livery and new wheels. Also, a new SO emblem.

KY5KiRW.png

First personnel skins - Oregon State Troopers (in two variants) and some additional truck skins (you can't go rural without big rigs). Also, updated CVPI models/wheels

Credits:

Ford Crown Victoria model by NNico

CVPI wheels and pushbars by bama1234

Kenworth T800 Tanker Truck by itchboy

Buildings and models of damadged CVPI, Peterbuilt 389, trailer and State Trooper/Highway Police Officer by Hoppah

Lightbars by marcoclusius1 (Sheriff's CVPI) and cops (OSP CVPI)

UPD: Is there possibly a Paint .NET plug-in to enable "curving" of rectangular selections? That'd be immensely useful for creating curved roads. Or am I missing a simpler answer to this question? :D

How are you going to work in the USPP Helicopter? I ask because its a rare thing to see in a National Park unless something BIG was going down in which case it usually supports USPP officers who are brought in to help local units, if you're including it it might be good to include a USPP transport vehicle with a USPP SWAT team or something like that. Really the NPS/USPP have enough varied units that you could add quite a few just for giggles/realism but most would never see action in the average midsized park.

14625512688_c9be2f722a_b.jpg

This looks very cool and I really like the map. One thing though, is the cul de sac, it just doesn't seem right. Maybe a visitor's center or something with parking lot?

You mean the one with houses near it? I agree. The is beta map, so suggestions are just what I need. And you know, now when I think of it, it might be the place to rework into NPS "HQ".

How are you going to work in the USPP Helicopter? I ask because its a rare thing to see in a National Park unless something BIG was going down in which case it usually supports USPP officers who are brought in to help local units, if you're including it it might be good to include a USPP transport vehicle with a USPP SWAT team or something like that. Really the NPS/USPP have enough varied units that you could add quite a few just for giggles/realism but most would never see action in the average midsized park.

USPP Helicopter will be an off-map unit. It is, actually, put in just to take the niche of LE heli, as no sheriff in Oregon seems to have one, and only thing I get searching for an OSP heli are medical choppers. And yeah, there is already another SWAT unit planned. I mean, I could possibly add another SWAT team, but I can't see much sense in it.

UPD:

And a quick question before I'm going to modify the map's floor texture:

I've created a new road texture from scratch (most asphalt roads will be upgraded to it's "standart"), and there are two sets of it, I can't decide which one is better, considering the mod's setting. As this may prove hard to fix later, I'd like to ask for your opinion now. They are supposed to be a cleaner, "newer" variant and a "used" one.

Straight road:

17bjU3u.pngzqL0GFz.png

A turn:

q0zkjXz.png

I had to put those patches there, cause the darker, "smoked" texture wouldn't align properly.

7f3ti96.png

Edited by Ace612