Emergency 4 and Windows 10

Running in a virtual machine on the Windows 10 Preview I can say the following:

- It does install without issue

- It does launch

- Base game freeplay does load and is playable

- Editor launches

- No CTD

Conclusion: It does work.

It should work perfectly fine, it likely will require running as an administrator however.  Win10 isnt as far removed from windows 8.1 as they'd like you to believe, and ultimately windows 8.1 can run EM4 with relatively little pain on most configurations.. The same annoyances such as UAC still persist on 8/10 as they did on vista/7 along with requiring DX installation of an older version.. But with those issues resolved it runs fine, assuming you're upgrading you should not encounter the DX issue, that should only be present on an fresh install of 10 just as it would on any vista+ OS.

Just remember, if the game isnt trying to run on win10, run it as an admin (should not require compatibility settings, just admin).

Hello friends!
Forgive me not master English, but would like to share with you.​

I could solve the problem of non-functioning of the Emergency 4 with Windows 10. I looked at the heart of Intel's downloads updates of chipsets. I informed my setup and downloaded the drive compatible with the previous version "Driver Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator for Windows * 7". I could just keep Windows 10 yet!

Here is my dialogue with Microsoft, if they want the translation: http://answers.microsoft.com/pt-br/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/problemas-de-compatibilidade-da-vers%C3%A3o-do/2443899d-6e21-4b8b-8e5e-19dce3ef1fa8?msgId=4ef6dd2f-d2b1-4b68-bff4-c14cf94668b4

I hope I can help them! hugs

Hi, i played Emergency 4 on my laptop for about 2 years upgraded to Windows 10 and it just crashes to destop from the black loading screen. i've updated my AMD drivers still crashes tried running it as Administrator and compalibility all the way from xp (SP2) to Windows 8 still same outcome. please help :/ 

In recent days I had compatibility issues with an older game that I really wanted to play.  So I searched around for a util to emulate the state the game required and found one that did the job for me on 8.1.  Most games work with 8.1 but there are some that are just too old, given win10's fairly new age I suspect many drivers arent "fixed" yet so it'll be much the same problem as any new OS has for a while.  For the time being though, this app might help you run the game in spite of the issues you've got.

https://www.williamfeely.info/wiki/DXGL#Downloads

Install and run that app, then when you load it up add em4.exe to the program list, once that is done set it to stretch it to your screen and touch nothing else about it unless you're prepared to have to tweak quite a bit to fix it.  Once that is setup and you've added em4 to the list of programs for it to run, simply run em4 as you would normally and your screen should "flash" once or twice, then load up into the game normally.  Going forth the game is stored in the list of games to execute for so you don't have to manually load the app it's self from that point on. 

I cannot say how this app performs on low-end machines, but it did the job for me that I needed it to do. Fair warning though: if you screw it up and it gets stuck in a boot loop (trying to load the game and flashing endlessly) just ctrl+alt+del and switch users, it'll shut down the app.

Don't know if it'll help with em4, if not you can shop around for an app that does the same thing, I've encountered several in the past that did the same thing.

On 10/15/2016 at 0:34 PM, scruffydogflame said:

I just got it off of Amazon, downloaded it, it ran, I accidentally switched it to a weird resolution so i exited and tried to run it again. It showed the window for 2 seconds, then it shut and hasn't opened again after 30 minutes so I assume it crashed. Attached log:

logfile.txt

The easiest thing to do is reinstall the game. You can attempt to change the resolution in the cfg file but its not a guarantee. 

I had the same issue as Scruffydogflame, I left the computer for a while, got a new monitor and attempted to fiddle with the resolution. When I attempted to restart the game, I had the same window for 2 seconds and then no game issue. Multiple tries at reinstalling and using DXGL have so far been fruitless.

EDIT: For those interested, going to EM4.exe properties and running the compatibility troubleshooter seemed to have worked. It's running under compatibility settings for XP SP3.