Chris07

Modding Tutorials - YouTube Video series by Chris07

I've always been a big fan of video tutorials. Perhaps it's just the way I'm wired, but I learn best by watching others, and I feel like I'm not alone. I've been considering making a series of tutorial videos on various aspects of mod making.

If I was to throw a series together, what sort of tutorials would you like to see?

Published Videos

Quick Tips - Short videos that share tips and tricks to make modding a little bit easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdwgl1obnqk - Quick Tip #1 - Make your editor Run As Administrator 

Essential Modding Skills Tutorials - A set for full length tutorials showing you step-by-step (and mostly unabridged) how to perform the most basic tasks needed to create a mod from scratch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6p5XtcG9Vc - Adding Vehicles Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7iYkwc_57M - Adding Vehicles Part 2

Why am I doing all this?

Well it took me 2 years of messing around to become (self-proclaimed) proficient at mod making. In this day and age, there seems to be a serious stagnation in creativity in the EM4 community. The reason, I believe, is partially because of the steep learning curve required to create new custom content. With these videos I hope to give people the tools to think outside the box and create something NEW for Emergency 4. LA Submods are cool and all, but I think we can make something better....

What harm can come from providing a collection of knowledge in a quick easy to digest format? None that I can see.

• Downvote 1

Scripting IMO would be the best tutorial. There's very little outside of EmP or emergency-forum.de that covers scripting. Even in each site, there is little to go on. In our little community here, there are probably 10 members including myself who know how to create scripts from scratch. There are no existing YouTube tutorials available dedicated specifically to Em4 scripting.

Honestly, a competent scripter who can make custom content should at least have basic experience with C programming which is what Em4 is built on. I personally had a year of college in a Computer Science course (but left due to personal reasons)

There are plenty of tutorials that cover how to model vehicles/objects/houses in outside websites. I personally used the Zmodeler car tutorial to do my first car. The hardest part though is figuring out to make the flat sided polygons into a 3 dimensional vehicle, especially transitioning from side to front

e3sqWlP.png

On most cars, its quite hard for a begginer to pull off. It was quite hard for me. And even tutorials in modelling dont explain in depth how to get the shape and contour of each vehicle right. You need to learn how to apply your technique to other cars you make. Tutorials in my case got me started, and yes some were videos. I never understood the way of translating a piece of flat polygons into the car you see above. Not until I decided to try making a simple fictional car out of nothing. I understood through that exercise how to achieve a car shape in Zmod, and in other 3D editing programs.

For beginner modelers, squarish simple cars with sharp edges are the best way to go IMO. An example from one of my own:

C1EsRKQ.png

Scripting will be a series in itself. It is a very high demand skill which few possess. It's very straight forward and less of an art so that's a guarantee.

Adding in vehicles is super easy so that might be the first video I play around with.

3D modeling is something I would rate myself as Intermediate at. I would be more than able to teach a "cut & paste" style of creation (which seems to be the most common method used). Creating vehicles from the ground up is a skill I personally struggle with. I mean I can create simple things but cars with lots of contours are not something I'm particularly talented at.

Well....I spent all day putting some videos together. So I hope you guys enjoy!

Essential Modding Skills - Adding Vehicles Part 1

This video teaches you how to add a vehicle into a mod from scratch using an Empty Modification and some model files.

This video a a full length tutorial. Unfortunately since there are so many steps this tutorial has been split into two parts. The second part I will work on tomorrow or Tuesday.

EDIT: A link to Part 2 is posted in the first post.

Quick Tip #1 - Make your editor Run As Administrator

You can either give feedback or ideas for future videos here or on youtube.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2015 at 8:29 AM, Chris07 said:

Well....I spent all day putting some videos together. So I hope you guys enjoy!

Essential Modding Skills - Adding Vehicles Part 1

This video teaches you how to add a vehicle into a mod from scratch using an Empty Modification and some model files.

This video a a full length tutorial. Unfortunately since there are so many steps this tutorial has been split into two parts. The second part I will work on tomorrow or Tuesday.

EDIT: A link to Part 2 is posted in the first post.

Quick Tip #1 - Make your editor Run As Administrator

You can either give feedback or ideas for future videos here or on youtube.

I have watched these before! I though you jumped straight into them too quickly and was abit brief as I am not the best at modding!

Thanks for the feedback.

Right now my problem is finding time to make these videos. It's takes an awful lot of time to make and finding quiet time to do it has been a real challenge lately.

As as to your feedback I tend to go right into it and proceed quickly because I don't want the videos to be too long. In reality, some of these tasks take over an hour. While I'd like to show you every single step, the videos would be too long. I personally can't watch a single video for over 45 minutes, and I don't think many others can. I've always just assumed that a user could control their own pace by pausing the video/rewinding as necessary. I try to show everything and usually skip over parts that are 100% repeats of what was previously done since most work is just repetitive. I personally feel that I don't prepare as much as I should and that my hinder the fluidity of the videos. I'm working on that but it adds to the amount of time I have to find to make these videos.

My videos are not really meant to be "big picture". I like to focus on small tasks with the thought being that if you can do the little things, you can piece together a mod.