Ctstrohm

Emergency 4 Graphical Issues - lagging

Graphics Card: R9 280x

Processor: i7 4820k

Ram: 16 GB

Ever since I got my computer, I have always had this issue where Emergency 4 constantly lags. I can't understand what is causing it. I run it as an admin, I try setting the priorities and affinities to their appropriate settings, or what people have suggested on other forums, but nothing. It just lags, even at the main menu. It gets really bad when lights are on in game. I really am at a loss of words, as I have no clue what can be causing it.

DxDiag.txt

Well, I can think of a few things that can have to do with it. Unfortunately, your DX diag is no longer valid in the first post. When we moved some attachments were lost.  Without the DX diag and logfile from the game I have to take shots in the dark.

1). Antivirus software: AV software sometimes real-time scans, and will scan the game files while it's running sometimes, particularly if it involves scripts, which em4 does.. Some overzealous setup av's will try to sweep them as they execute causing some lag.

2). As I said your dx isnt valid anymore so I can't see that, but if you have multiple video cards (switchable graphics) it is also possible that the game is using your weaker video card (intel for example) instead of the dedicated card.  You can configure it to use which one you want it to, but that's assuming you have switchable graphics. I can't say that is the case without the DX.

3). Performance settings on the computer (again can't tell what kind of computer it is without the DX diag). Any mobile/all-in-one computer tend to make use of the power setting options, for most people it is set to "balanced" by default, but you can change the settings, and if you set it to reduced options to increase battery life it will degrade the performance settings of the hardware. Particularly video cards can be forced to run in reduced settings thanks to power options available.  If you run a reduced option the vid card can't use it's full power and will create lag.

As I said these are shots in the dark since I don't have the logfile or DX diag I can't tell you much in specific..

Your machine from what your DX says is a laptop with 2 video cards installed... So the advice above was valid.  According to your logfile the game is indeed using the amd r9 card, but your direct x does not show the amd R9 within it's log anywhere.  This is likely why you're experiencing problems.

When I run a DX of my system (which is similar enough to yours) it displays both the intel chipset that I have and my R series 3D card.  The fact that yours isnt showing the R9 in the DX means that anything that is using the DX rendering capabilities could encounter problems when it comes to the AMD card.  I'd bet quite often that it is just using the intel chipset and you're unaware of it using that one.

What I suggest you do is to search your computer's manuf website, your system appears to be a sony vaio... Check to see if they have released updated drivers for the intel chipset and AMD chipset that you have; also check for updates to catalyst for your machine, since that is what controls graphics switching capability.  From there if you can find new drivers for the amd r9 from the manuf I would remove the currently installed drivers and restart the machine.  Perhaps removing the driver and forcing a reinstall of the drivers will make DX recognize it.  Right now as it stands your system as far as DX is concerned isnt recognizing the R9, only the intel chipset... For DX games you'll have to try to find a way to get both recognized.  

The above is the only ideas I can think of, I have a feeling that you probably used windows to check for updates on the video drivers, which would not likely find them since your drivers are likely customized by sony for their laptops (most laptop makers do that, which sucks for laptop users as we all get diff versions of the drivers because of it).  You have to check through sony's support site directly and try to find if they have drivers for the intel and amd chips, along with the catalyst control center for the particular laptop you have, and if they do download them and install them.  Then once  you restart run a DX diag and see if the amd chipset is added into the dx diag under display devices..

If it still doesnt resolve, I would manually under devices remove the R9 device (including removing the drivers for it) and restart, then let the machine try to find drivers for the device and hope that it finds ones that are actually good and work.. That's kind of a last resort but sometimes works.

I looked up the model nr that the DX put out, which is SVS151190X and upon googling that particular model number it states it is a vaio laptop.... If it is really one of those "all-in-one" desktops, where it's basically just a monitor with the computer built into that monitor, kind of like the HP touchsmart series is, then even though it is marketed as a desktop computer it is in reality a laptop without the battery support in it.  The Machine it's self behaves just like the equivalent laptops do, it just doesnt have the mobility of the laptop; but the hardware inside and the software is that of the laptops just the same.. Kind of why I've never seen the point in those particular machines, but that's more of an opinion thing that I can't fathom buying a laptop that isnt mobile.

I've never done business with "CyberPowerPC" nor do I know anyone who has myself.  I don't know their practices or where they procure their hardware from, so all I can do is go by the report that directx is dumping out.  But if the DX is to be trusted, then the machine in question has the guts of a Vaio within it, not actually the guts of a desktop if it isnt one of those all-in-one type of deals like i described above then that would be seriously concerning.

Also take note of the following found within the DX that you posted:

Processor: i7-3612QM 

Memory: 12288MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 12188MB RAM

These specifications do not match what you stated in the original post either.

Original Specs you posted:

Processor: i7 4820k

Ram: 16 GB

Yeah uh-..I messed up, bad. You see, I was looking at other topics and wanted to see other peoples DX files, so I clicked it and it must of downloaded it. I must of put theirs in here instead of mine which means I must have been confusing the crap out of you this whole time..really sorry about that.

Here is hopefully the real one.

http://www.emergency-planet.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=17319

Edited by MikeyPI
Removed language.

Yeah it helps if I have the actual DX to the machine in question, otherwise its purely guessing.... 

First, I'd still ensure that your power management settings are set correctly and it is permitting all your devices to use the maximum performance options since it is a desktop.
Go under control panel; System & Security; Power Options.  I would ensure it is permitted to run maximum performance since it's a desktop you don't really have to worry about draining a battery, so it's kind of pointless to manage it's energy consumption.

Now, onto the actual log you provided, there was an issue within that log that is problematic:

DxDiag Previously: Crashed in DirectInput (stage 1). Re-running DxDiag with "dontskip" command line parameter or choosing not to bypass information gathering when prompted might result in DxDiag successfully obtaining this information

I had to search for this one, but it is quite often a symptom in people complaining of performance issues in games and the games flat out not running with CTD's....
Through my searching (google is a friend there) some people found resolution by removing gaming controllers such as joysticks, console style controllers, flight yokes, etc.... Though it was spotty at best as to resolution in this regards; still, it is worth knowing if you have a controller installed to the machine, such as a USB wireless controller which if you're like me you'd be likely to leave the wireless chip plugged in even when you're not using it.  If you have a controller it's possible it's the reason for this fault occurring in your report.

Now, if you don't have a controller and/or removing it does not improve the situation, then you're left with one other option as far as I can tell.  The second option is that something that loads up in your system is causing a conflict, and that conflicting program/app is what is causing DX to have errors, which could be translating into the game.
Now to figure out which program it is that is causing the issues? That's going to be a bit harder, since I have no clue what is installed on your system, nor could I sort through it anyway and call out which one it is since every system is different.

If you want to try to self-diagnose which of the programs/apps starting on your machine is possibly at fault for your issues, it will take a bit of trial and error along with your time to go through the motions on trying to fix this.
I will now explain what you have to do, once I am done with the instruction on how to do it/how to undo it, I will summarize how I'd go about it.

To limit the booting of software:

Start>Run>msconfig

On the general tab, select the tickbox for "selective startup"; Uncheck load startup items.... It is possible that services could also be to blame, but honestly I doubt that to be the case, it's more likely it's a program running in the background.  Doing this will require a restart of the system.

When it completes restarting, attempt to play the game with the LA mod (original by hoppah, not a modified version of it) and see how the performance goes for you.  If the performance issues are no longer present while having the system starting without the startup procedures, you now know for sure it's one of those apps that is causing the logjam causing your lag.

To Return the system to a normal bootup:

Start>Run>msconfig

On the general tab, select the tickbox for "normal startup"; it will require restarting but will reset the system back to its normal boot cycle.

Ultimately, if you find that running the machine limited, with only essential things starting and not the rest of the software helps your performance problems, you know for sure that one of those things which is booting at start is to blame for your performance problems.  Once you know this fact, you would then have to go through and systematically restart the items while still staying in selective startup mode until you found the program which was the culprit of your performance problems.  Really a pain to have to go through that, but if you find that the performance improves under selective start, you'll have to take this step to try to find the offending program. Ensure you do NOT turn off any app/program associated with your video card (amd items).

Depending on if you're able to find the offending program, depending on what it is that it does as far as purposes go, and options within the program available to you dictates what you'll have to do to resolve the problem. If it is an un-required program then you could simply use the programs/features to uninstall it.  If, more likely than not you do need the application that offends, you would do best to try to check within its settings to make it not load on start-up, so that it only is loaded on-demand (by user execution).  That would be the ideal solution to your problem.

Now, if you don't find performance has improved when you run selective startup, unfortunately it doesnt leave much room on how to proceed from there.  If that is the case and running selective makes no impact it would mean that it is very likely that a service is at fault for the conflict your machine is experiencing... In that case it would be extremely difficult to find the offending service given that so many are vital to the system it's self, but within the same place where you found the selective startup functions (msconfig)  but under the services tab. How I would approach this task is to turn off everything but the MS services and try to load the game without the other services running and see what if anything happens to performance. Ensure you do NOT turn off any app/program associated with your video card (amd items).

Hopefully this helps you in finding and diagnosing the problem, if you're able to find the offending program the ideal solution is to remove it.  If that is not possible because you do need it, you are left with changing it's settings to prevent it from automatically doing things and/or setting it's services to only run when manually engaged instead of other settings.  Goodluck to you, sorry I can't be more definitive in a solution to you, but this problem (the error you have) is quite ambiguous as are possible solutions to it.