ThinBlueLineKY4

Need Help! I'm A New Modder Starting Off

Hey, I am brand new at modding so I would like some tips and some info on the following categories:
-Modeling
-Skinning The Models
-Adding/Scripting Lights And Sirens
-Creating Maps And Mapping
-Scripting
-Making The Mods
-Making New Scripts
-How To Ask For/Use Another Mod's Scripts
-What Sotwares Do I need?
-What Softwares Do You Recommend?
-What Software Do You Use For Modeling, Mapmaking, Scriptmaking, And Mod Making?
____________________________________________________________________________________
If you could help me with this, and maybe tell me a few ideas, that would be great. Thanks!
The Page For My First Mod Is Here: http://forum.emergency-planet.com/topic/20269-jeffersontown-ky-mod-page/

Check It Out Please

I hope this is what you wanted, it would take a very long time to describe how to do everything but there are a few tutorials dotted around to help you start off.

-Modeling - I use Blender (Free).

-Skinning The Models - Gimp is a very good free piece of software.
-Adding/Scripting Lights And Sirens - EM4 Editor, many tutorials on this.
-Creating Maps And Mapping - EM4 Editor, not many tutorials on this, something a lot of people teach theirself.
-Scripting - Most people spend years learning scripting so it's something you have to be dedicated to instead of just jumping into,.
-Making The Mods - You use the EM4 Editor
-Making New Scripts - Notepad/Notepad ++ are the simplest
-How To Ask For/Use Another Mod's Scripts - Message them on here (If they are on here)
-What Sotwares Do I need? You will NEED: Emergency 4/911 First Responders and ZModeler (Alternative to ZModeler are the .V30 Blender tools someone released) 
-What Softwares Do You Recommend? Blender, Gimp
-What Software Do You Use For Modeling, Mapmaking, Scriptmaking, And Mod Making? - Blender for modeling, Gimp for texturing, Notepad for scripting, Emergency 4 Editor for mod making.

I hope this is what you wanted, it would take a very long time to describe how to do everything but there are a few tutorials dotted around to help you start off.

-Skinning The Models - Gimp is a very good free piece of software.-Adding/Scripting Lights And Sirens - EM4 Editor, many tutorials on this.-Creating Maps And Mapping - EM4 Editor, not many tutorials on this, something a lot of people teach theirself.-Scripting - Most people spend years learning scripting so it's something you have to be dedicated to instead of just jumping into,.-Making The Mods - You use the EM4 Editor-Making New Scripts - Notepad/Notepad ++ are the simplest-How To Ask For/Use Another Mod's Scripts - Message them on here (If they are on here)-What Sotwares Do I need? You will NEED: Emergency 4/911 First Responders and ZModeler (Alternative to ZModeler are the .V30 Blender tools someone released) -What Softwares Do You Recommend? Blender, Gimp-What Software Do You Use For Modeling, Mapmaking, Scriptmaking, And Mod Making? - Blender for modeling, Gimp for texturing, Notepad for scripting, Emergency 4 Editor for mod making.

Thank you so much!

good decision to start on em4!

My secret tipp: try to learn it all yourself! I sounds hard and very unmotivating but trust me, it is worth it! Im in the stage of lighting and skinning and i also learned it alll myself. If you do it yourself you really know what you are doing and can use this knowledge later. There are great tutorials on youtube too. If you have questions with lighting , just contact me via pm and i can explain you the basic things to get started:) For skinning its your choice between PAINT and GIMP. I prefer GIMP because of its bigger functionalities but thats totally your decision. As a start, skinning and lighting is a good way to start modding! If you want to mod any modification just ask nicely! A NO-Go is to beg for permission. If the Author says no it means no. You can´t change anything about it:)

The type of mod I'm thinking about creating is of the Louisville, Kentucky suburban area. We have many small departments that have anywhere from 1-9 stations, with a big Green rescue truck from one department, one department with all white vehicles, and another with all light green rigs. Go to Kentuckyfiretrucks.com, then go to photos and Jefferson County. I might not choose all the rigs, but I'll choose a lot of them.

Can be a mapper if you want ;)

I would love to have someone help with the mapping. Once I get my first mod (I plan on making a few, but you don't have to help on all of them. You can help on the mods you want to help on.) planed out, I will let you know, then we can start working together on it. I will also be making a mod in development page and I'll post the link here.

How do I send messages to Modders who have their Private Messenger (Such As Hoppah) disabled, and I can't find their email? And what are other methods of contacting Modders to ask permission to use some of their stuff?

MY FIRST MOD'S FORUM PAGE HAS BEEN CREATED! You can find it here: http://forum.emergency-planet.com/topic/20269-jeffersontown-ky-mod/ Edited by MikeyPI
merged posts.

Please in the future use the edit button found on the bottom right of your post, on this forum it isnt permitted to post repeatedly in a row yourself, that is called "double posting".  Instead edit the post if nobody else has replied to your post before you need to/wish to say something else.

Please in the future use the edit button found on the bottom right of your post, on this forum it isnt permitted to post repeatedly in a row yourself, that is called "double posting".  Instead edit the post if nobody else has replied to your post before you need to/wish to say something else.

I am very sorry. I will do that next time.

I personally use paint.net to skin. I can do a lot more with  paint.net when it comes to skinning then I can with gimp.

Do you download a software? I kind-of decided to use gimp because I already have it downloaded. But Ill check it out. Want to help with the modding team? (For the mod listed in the original post,(I added in the link))

-Skinning The Models - Gimp is a very good free piece of software.
-Adding/Scripting Lights And Sirens - EM4 Editor, many tutorials on this.
-Creating Maps And Mapping - EM4 Editor, not many tutorials on this, something a lot of people teach theirself.
-Scripting - Most people spend years learning scripting so it's something you have to be dedicated to instead of just jumping into,.
-Making The Mods - You use the EM4 Editor
-Making New Scripts - Notepad/Notepad ++ are the simplest
-How To Ask For/Use Another Mod's Scripts - Message them on here (If they are on here)
-What Sotwares Do I need? You will NEED: Emergency 4/911 First Responders and ZModeler (Alternative to ZModeler are the .V30 Blender tools someone released) 
-What Softwares Do You Recommend? Blender, Gimp
-What Software Do You Use For Modeling, Mapmaking, Scriptmaking, And Mod Making? - Blender for modeling, Gimp for texturing, Notepad for scripting, Emergency 4 Editor for mod making.

I could help you with the skinning side of things, and creating lights.

good decision to start on em4!

My secret tipp: try to learn it all yourself! I sounds hard and very unmotivating but trust me, it is worth it! Im in the stage of lighting and skinning and i also learned it alll myself. If you do it yourself you really know what you are doing and can use this knowledge later. There are great tutorials on youtube too. If you have questions with lighting , just contact me via pm and i can explain you the basic things to get started:) For skinning its your choice between PAINT and GIMP. I prefer GIMP because of its bigger functionalities but thats totally your decision. As a start, skinning and lighting is a good way to start modding! If you want to mod any modification just ask nicely! A NO-Go is to beg for permission. If the Author says no it means no. You can´t change anything about it:)

Photoshop is a brilliant option for skinning. If you don't have it, your school/college is more than likely to.

A lot of the stuff on that list comes after years of modding experience

I personally use paint.net to skin. I can do a lot more with  paint.net when it comes to skinning then I can with gimp.

Hey guys, I can't open .dds files with gimp, even though I have the plugin exe in the plugins folder and the files for the plugin apepar there too. . It sometimes opens a few, along with paintdotnet, but they dont work at all most of the time. Any good free/free trial skinning software I can use? Or is it that it isnt working because I am trying to open LA mod skins?