Marshall8946

PC Buying/Builds

Hey guys, I noticed quite a few topics about member having questions about PCs. To save on creating topics, anyone can feel free to post their questions about PC rigs below.

I talked with a person from a nearby computer store personally. They are recommended this computer for what I was looking for. Im looking to play the newest EM4 mods, simulators, and even GTA 5 with decent settings. Im not looking for over the top. Just something better than 10-15 FPS. Im aware for the price Im not looking at having the best of the best. But I want other opinions on this rig. Should I purchase it for the gaming Im looking for?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4GH2420664

In my eyes it would be far more appropriate to just go ahead and spring for the Cray CS400-lc and call it a day, if you should run out of power with one of them clearly you should revise your gaming experience.

In all honesty people put too much stock in this component or that component when it comes to purchasing computers... What you need to look at is what you will most often use the thing for, and purchase what suits your needs accordingly.  For someone who is a casual to moderate gamer you just need a suitable CPU, there are plenty of options out there that fit the bill, just make sure that the clock speed meets what games you've got in mind to play.  The GPU is the area where you don't really want to skimp as that is really the bread and butter of gaming, while they do have some nice "integrated" chipsets out there now, and some games can in theory run well on them, they are by no means designed for such a use, in spite of what the people who made them want to claim.  An Integrated chipset vs. the dedicated ones from AMD Radeon series (not the HD integrated ones), or the Nvidia lines simply put cannot compete, while the integrated may be able to play those games, it won't have near the framerate that the dedicated card is capable of, not to mention most integrated chipsets lack support for many rendering features games take advantage of today.  

In short find a fairly well reviewed/liked CPU, there are plenty of reviews out there for them all, just make sure that the reviewer uses the system in a way that is similar to what you'll be doing with it.. If the guy reviewing just surfs the web all day or something of that sort, obviously his review of the performance isnt going to help you very much, find ones that are "casual gamers" or hardcore gamers and see what they have to say about the options when it comes to CPUs.  Likewise the same approach should be taken with all aspects of a computer, having the greatest video card is kind of foolish if you'll never use it's full potential in the process.  Why spend all that money for something you have no intention of actually using?  Find one that has been reviewed on the games that you like to play in benchmark tests, make sure that the card performed well with the types of games you like/play and go from there.. Most of the other components involved in a machine are more end-user preference, things like the ram, hard drive, and things of that nature, most of the companies that make these devices have pretty clear-cut quality out there in the form of reviews for their products..

Worry more about reliability and stability instead of oh this was the fastest thing ever... for the 5 minutes it worked before it crashed anyway.  What good is it to have something capable of so much if it's stability is in question most of the time, and you're not well-versed enough in the technicalities to tweak it yourself? Bear in mind your technical abilities when purchasing equipment, sometimes tried and true stability is much better than all-new ultra-fast but not exactly proven technologies.  Fat lotta good it does to have the best on the market if the things you intend to use it for doesnt support it's features, or worse drivers and won't even run with the "best hardware" out there.

Hey folks,

Looking to be buying a new desktop between mid May and early June. Building versus buying isn't a big deal, I have someone who can build for me. I'm looking at a setup to be able to handle GTA V at high settings, GTA IV with high settings and vehicle/ped/gun mods (ENB isn't a big deal for me), EM4, and some older games as well as the ability to record using Fraps.

This is kinda what I'm looking at right now: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1H03G1

I'm looking for input/suggestions/recommendations/etc from others before I buy. Budget would be around $1100-1200 for the tower.

Specs below.

*BASE_PRICE: [+949]

BLUETOOTH: None

CABLE: None

CAS: CyberPowerPC X-Titan 100 MID-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side-Window Panel [-3] (Black Color)

CASUPGRADE: None

CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CD2: None

COOLANT: Standard Coolant

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4690K 3.5 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 (All Venom OC Certified)

CS_FAN: Default case fans

DOCKINGSTATION: None

ENGRAVING: None

ENGRAVING_MSG:

FA_HDD: None

FAN: Intel Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink [-27]

FLASHMEDIA: None

FREEBIE_CU: FREE! INTEL Q2 2015 GAME BUNDLE (FREE games: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, FINAL FANTASY® XIV: A Realm Reborn, GRID Autosport, World of Tanks, & LEGO® Minifigures Online.)

HD_M2PCIE: None

HD_M2SATA: None

HDD: 128GB SanDisk SSD + 2TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo [+65] (Combo Drive)

HDD2: None

HEADSET: None

HS_HANGER: None

IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

KEYBOARD: AZZA Delta Gaming Keyboard w/ Anti-Ghosting & red backlight

MB_SRT: None

MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

MONITOR: None

MOPAD: None

MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE Z97X-SLI ATX w/ Intel GbLAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 2 PCI, 1 x M.2, 1 x SATA Express, or 6x SATA 6Gb/s (Extreme OC Certified)

MOUSE: AZZA Alpha 1600 DPI Gaming Mouse

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

NFC: None

OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking

POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

RUSH: Standard Process Time: Ship within 8 Business Day

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

SPEAKERS: None

TEMP: None

TUNING: None

TVRC: None

USBFLASH: None

USBHD: None

USBX: None

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 (Maxwell) [+101] (Single Card)

WNC: GIGABYTE GC-WB867D-I 802.11AC Wi-Fi up to 867 Mbps + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo w/ Dual Antenna PCI-E Adapter

WTV: None

_PRICE: (+1085)

_view_: {F9926E6D-648C-462D-8415-BAD688C38868}

_load_: 5/3/2015 5:47:55 PM