William Stapleford

TRANSLATED, Import model into EM5

Since the 16ton family does not wish to help out the people that are NOT German, I have taken it upon myself to start translated some of the information found in the forum when it comes to modding.  We seem to have been forgotten when it comes to everything including patches and tutorials.

The following is a translation using software to translate the forum that was showing information on adding models to EM5.  I have not changed the information and also the photos were not kept and can be found on the original forum.  Hopefully some people that are far smarter then me can make sense out of this and start making or importing models.

The original post can be found here

http://www.emergency-forum.de/board330-emergency-5/board379-emergency-5-modding/board389-emergency-5-modding-discoveries/59824-anleitung-um-modelle-in-den-editor-zu-importieren/

you can find the pics of the examples here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
In this tutorial I will explain you how models in the Emergency imported 5 editor.

What you need:
Emergency 5
A licensed version of 3ds Max (in my case 2015). A 3-year license for students can be found here
A current version of OgreMax Scene Exporter DOWNLOAD
An image-editing program with TIF support
SVN or Git repository

Step 1: Edit and exporting the model

Is first and foremost you need a model. IMPORTANT: The model may only get a texture. In my experience, the editor per model supports only one texture. In addition, the model must be stored in a format that supports 3ds Max. To import it, you click in 3ds Max in the top left corner on the square labeled "MAX". In aufgepoppten menu you now click Import and choose your model (I have an imported as a .3ds file. This includes all childs of the model). Now that looks something like this:

Next, we take care of the texture. The texture of the model must be saved than twice as large as you like they have in the game. This means to have a 2048x2048 pixel great texture to your model, you need a large output 4096x4096 texture. Another feature is that the texture needs to be saved as .tif and needed after the name _c. So testtextur_c.tif. The _c is the colormap. The name of the texture should be the same as that of the model.
To assign the model in 3ds Max, the new texture, it opens by pressing the M button of your keyboard the material editor. You'd have to be here now:

On the left you see now the Material / Map Browser. Under the Scene material riders you see now your material for your model. By right-clicking on the material you can rename it with Rename. The name of the material should be the same as that of the model. In the middle of the window, in the so-called view, two objects are published. Maximizes the material editor and put on your .tif texture by drag 'n' drop in the view. It should appear a third object:

Now, note the green dots on the red line. Click with the mouse in the right circle of the newly inserted object and moves with the mouse button held a red line to the goal of the old red line:

Now click on the origin of the old red line and click the Remove button to delete it. Now close the material editor again. If you should now find that your model still has no texture: Do not worry! The texture was assigned, but will not be displayed. Check you can by clicking on the menu bar item rendering and then render. Or do you use the key combination Shift + Q.

Next, we take care of the Smooth. We have to choose all objects in the viewport and opens on the right side of the tab menu Modify (square with "Rainbow"). There you open the top-down menu and select the Modifier List Entry Welder. Then you open the menu bar Modifiers and then the menu item Meshediting and there you click on Smooth. Both entries should now be published in the list below the menu:

Now even right-click in the list and then select the point Collapse All. Finish! Now we have carried out the anti-aliasing on the model and we can after we have scaled the model to fit size (Can also be done in the editor) to take care of export. For this purpose, it opens in the menu bar OgreMax, there then Export -> Export Scene open the Export dialog. This opens a dialog where you can specify the location. After the export should be included in the selected folder for each model a .mesh and a .material file. Now also copies your texture in the folder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2: Import the model to the Editor

The interface prompts you that you are all the files that you want to import in a SVN or Git repository. Upload your files in such a folder and open the editor. Now you can drag in the viewport of the editor, the .mesh files by drag 'n' drop. Maybe opens a window that asks if the folder where the model is to be used as a data source. This confirms her yes. After a while, it should look like this:

If you go to the top list of the far right, then you will find there the prefabs. Here you can change the name and category of the model. By clicking OK, the model will be imported into the editor and it is a fitting Prefab created. Now you can Prefab in your browser heruaussuchen imported model and place it on the map. After possible transformation of the whole looks like this:

That was the basic import models into the editor. There are also many features that you can implement technically texture. Here, however, is only the basic import models are explained. Should anyone have problems or questions, let me know! If you find mistakes which may keep them: D

Otherwise, I hope you enjoy! Suggestions and additions welcome!

Regards
Keano

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above mentioned Keano was the original author of the information and should be thanked if you can get any use out of this information

Have a great night / day everyone 

Bill

Some more notable information from the same thread concerning textures:

File Extensions:

Color map *_c.tif rgb
Alpha map *_a.tif luminance
Metallic map *_s.tif luminance
Normal map *_n.tif rgb
Height map *_h.tif luminance
Gloss map *_g.tif luminance
Emissive map *_e.tif rgb
Tint map *_t.tif luminance
Ambient occlusion map *_ao.tif luminance
Smut overlay map *_o.tif luminance

Description:

Color map: rgb map with color information, no directional lighting and no ambient occlusion information.

Alpha map: grayscale map. usually 1 bit. In some cases 8 bit grayscale maps for blend out pixels

Metallic map: grayscale map to define what is metal and no metal (1 = metal; 0 = no metal)

Gloss map: grayscale map to define roughtness / smoothness of a surface. (1 = smooth; 0 = rough).

Normal map: rbg map for expand the geometry details to a higher level of detail.

Ambient occlusion map: indirectional lighting, like overcast lighting. usually baked from highpoly.

Height map: grayscale map for height information. Also used for texture blending and to produce puddles for wet surfaces.

Emissive map: rbg map for illuminate details on the texture with colors (like fire glow, neonsings, etc)

Tint map: grayscale map to define the areas on the texture which will be colored by the engine dynamically

Smut overlay map: grayscale map with smut which will be faded in while the object is burning.

The file system of the editor requires a repository as source location for your models (drag & drop import). I don't know how common revision control systems are in the international mod development scene, but for the German scene any huge modding project wouldn't be possible without revsion control systems. The most common ones are SVN and Git. The most common SVN software is "TortoiseSVN". In order to install SVN systems you'll need servers to run the software.

For testing purpose you can try to create a folder, place a new folder in it and rename it to ".svn". This should simulate a correct svn evironment and you can trick the EMERGENCY 5 editor in order to import new models. There's also a checkbox in the editor preferences to deactivate the SVN requirements, but this function doens't work at the moment.

when i go to rename the folder to .svn it won't work due to it thinking that is a file and you can't name the folder like that. Should it just be svn instead of putting .svn? Or should it be the model name.svn?'

If I try to load just the mesh into the editor it gives me the follwing

During mesh asset import, QSF failed to find the OGRE material "chargerDefault_Material". Please use the OGRE XML converter and review the OGRE material dependencies of the OGRE mesh "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Emergency 5/data/charger/content/mesh/charger.mesh".

So i convert the mesh into a mesh.xml and it loads the file but then says that xml is not a supported prefab... So im lost on this... unless you have an idea gorda? thanks again

You can check Google for the .svn creation. It could be a little bit tricky, but it should work.

Normally you don't import mesh and xml-mesh files. The models should be in the mesh format. Check out the 3dsMax Ogre exporter plugin - it can create the right files.

when i go to rename the folder to .svn it won't work due to it thinking that is a file and you can't name the folder like that. Should it just be svn instead of putting .svn? Or should it be the model name.svn?'

If I try to load just the mesh into the editor it gives me the follwing

During mesh asset import, QSF failed to find the OGRE material "chargerDefault_Material". Please use the OGRE XML converter and review the OGRE material dependencies of the OGRE mesh "C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/Emergency 5/data/charger/content/mesh/charger.mesh".

So i convert the mesh into a mesh.xml and it loads the file but then says that xml is not a supported prefab... So im lost on this... unless you have an idea gorda? thanks again

using something other then explorer.

ie TotalCommander or the command prompt.

So Let say I want to do it in folder

D:\Mods

In the run bar type cmd hit enter

In the black box. Type

D:

hit enter

This changes the folder path to D:\

then type

cd mods

hit enter.

It should know display

D:\mods

Type in

md .svn

That create a .svn folder. You can know copy and move that where ever you want. So that you do not need to use

this method.

Total command is even easyer. It a great progarm and if you use it cost. As it shareware. I been using it for years.

I know I have checked out the 3dsmax orge exporter and it is installed. I use it to export the model as a scene and it creates the m as material and meah and texture when exportered... I'll take a look into the svn creation... Assuming that is what you use to import all the files? This is the spot that I'm stuck at with the import tutorial.... Thanks for the replies God's and paranoid. See what I can do

Godra:

If this is right let me know, and if not can you see what is messed up?

I created the .svn folder and placed it into the content folder of the model from the 3m5/data/my model

Also copied over the material and mesh folders and placed them in the model folder.

Import the.scene file into the editor.

texture file is in the model folder also

When I export my 3ds model it creates the following folders

bitmap

material

mesh

program(empty)

.scene file

Is there something special to do with the whole set?

Click on the prefab and it says .scene is not supported.. So screwed up there obviously... I don't know what I'm missing here.... Any clue?

First of all you shouldn't place your model files into the EMERGENCY 5 folder. Just place it anywhere else on your PC, but don't put it into any EM5 related folder. The .svn folders has to be placed there too.

If the export of 3dsmax was done in the right way, you should have a .scene file, a .mesh file, a .material file and several .tif files for the textures. I've edited my last post, the correct files for import are the mesh files. The exporter creates scene-files, but the EMERGENCY 5 editor only can handle the .mesh files.

I did have the exported files on my pc and not my em5 folder. I just tried that and it didn't work so I moved them back out.

What I don't understand is when I try to import the mesh files it gives me that error on the debug listing.. Does this mean the export was done wrong? This is what I'm confused about.. It looks right in the folder.. Is the json file suppose to be created before importing any files?