heyjoojoo

Windows 8? I searched but nothing found... EM4 does not launch

EM4 runs perfectly fine on windows 8 64-bit, I have had it installed on two separate machines now, is your windows 8.1 an upgrade from a previous version of windows? (IE XP/Vista/7) or is it a fresh-install of 8.1 only?  If the OS is fresh and not an upgrade from an existing one, you're likely running into problems with not having a directx old enough to run EM4, the latest bundled versions of directx are missing some of the files that older games require, so you need an older version of DX to compensate for this fact (I believe that em4 needs DX9 to run).  Also make sure that you run the game as an administrator, under win8 this is a requirement to make it run right out of the box for the OS.

EM4 runs perfectly fine on windows 8 64-bit, I have had it installed on two separate machines now, is your windows 8.1 an upgrade from a previous version of windows? (IE XP/Vista/7) or is it a fresh-install of 8.1 only?  If the OS is fresh and not an upgrade from an existing one, you're likely running into problems with not having a directx old enough to run EM4, the latest bundled versions of directx are missing some of the files that older games require, so you need an older version of DX to compensate for this fact (I believe that em4 needs DX9 to run).  Also make sure that you run the game as an administrator, under win8 this is a requirement to make it run right out of the box for the OS.

It's a clean install.

The Operating Systems Vista + don't have the old format of DX on them, as DX progressed they ceased providing essential files for "obsolete" games/apps that were never meant for the newer OS setups, so as time goes on more and more programs can't run on them without help.. Anywho, I tossed this into the download center to help people who have a fresh install of one of the new OS's that'll have DX10 or newer on it, realize your directx diag will still show the fact it's a newer version than DX9, this is normal, it just adds in the files that are missing to make it DX-9 compatible.

http://forum.emergency-planet.com/files/file/613-microsoft-directx/

The Operating Systems Vista + don't have the old format of DX on them, as DX progressed they ceased providing essential files for "obsolete" games/apps that were never meant for the newer OS setups, so as time goes on more and more programs can't run on them without help.. Anywho, I tossed this into the download center to help people who have a fresh install of one of the new OS's that'll have DX10 or newer on it, realize your directx diag will still show the fact it's a newer version than DX9, this is normal, it just adds in the files that are missing to make it DX-9 compatible.

Thank you for doing this MikeyPI  -   appreciate you considering this as an issue and coming up with a solution that'll work for others.

I think I spoke too soon. I tried launching it after the installation and the same thing happened. The installation looked like it went successfully. But unsure what else to do now....

Upload your logfile for one, dx compatibility is just one of several issues that can cause the game to not work.  Under windows 8 run it as an admin is an important one, some run compatibility for XP, but on all the newer os computers I've had I did not have to do that, only admin was required... Could be a video card related issue, your drivers may be incompatible,, or the actual card it's self.. DX diag can help figure that one out, but the logfile is the one that we need to figure out what's going on in your game.

Upload your logfile for one, dx compatibility is just one of several issues that can cause the game to not work.  Under windows 8 run it as an admin is an important one, some run compatibility for XP, but on all the newer os computers I've had I did not have to do that, only admin was required... Could be a video card related issue, your drivers may be incompatible,, or the actual card it's self.. DX diag can help figure that one out, but the logfile is the one that we need to figure out what's going on in your game.

Oh wait. Got it now. The problem with two many legacy games and really recent one.