Shadylasse

[SOLVED] New laptop, new Em4 trouble - resolution & graphics.

Hi guys. 

I just bought a new laptop so that I could keep modding while away, got it up and running, and found out Em4 runs horribly. 

The issues are that I can't run Em4 in 1920x1080 resolution. The highest I can get is 1600x900, even though my laptop screen is full HD. I can still enter the game with 1920x1080, but it seems as the screen misses 25% on the top and on the right side, as seen on this picture:

em42015-02-2620-38-23h1k7x.png

The second issue I have is major graphic faults in the editor. I have no idea what causes this, or what could fix it.

em42015-02-2620-35-312bj02.png

em42015-02-2620-36-150ykr9.png

PC Specs:

Description Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p - 15.6" - Core i5 4200M - Windows 8.1 64-bit - 6 GB RAM - 1 TB HDD

- Product type Notebook

- OS Windows 8.1 64-bit - danish / english / finnish / norwegain / swedish

- Processor Intel Core i5 (4. Gen) 4200M / 2.5 GHz ( 3.1 GHz ) / 3 MB Cache

- Memory 6 GB DDR3L Harddrive 1 TB HDD / 5400 rpm

- Optical drive DVD

- Screen 15.6" LED backlit 1920 x 1080 / Full HD

- Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M - 2 GB Network 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0 , Gigabit Ethernet

- Battery 6-cellet - up to 5 hours

- Color Dust black

- Dimensions (W x D x H) 38.7 cm x 25.9 cm x 3.58 cm

- Weight 2.7 kg

- Warranty 2 years warranty

What I have tried so far:

- Update DirectX, both to and from 9.0c

- Run as admin

- Change resolutions manually in the .cfg.

- Restart the PC after made changes

I really hope someone can help. It's very necessary! Anything is appreciated. :-)

Kind regards

My EM4 runs at the 1280x1024, at least I think that's the highest, and this is using a Full HD monitor. Have you tried that resolution?

I don't know about the second issue. Is that only in the editor? Have you checked if changing various graphics settings has any effect?

My EM4 runs at the 1280x1024, at least I think that's the highest, and this is using a Full HD monitor. Have you tried that resolution?

I don't know about the second issue. Is that only in the editor? Have you checked if changing various graphics settings has any effect?

I tried using various different resolutions, with 1600x900 being the closest-to-HD I could run. Although I've gotten used to using 1920x1080 on my stationary PC, so if I could get that resolution, that would be far the best. If it isn't possible, however, that's fine. As long as I get the second issue resolved I'll be fine. :-)

The graphics at the lowest seem to work fine, yet I find it very confusing why a PC with my specs is unable to run Em4 at high graphics. I might be misinformed, but isn't that a little strange?

Thanks for the quick response, by the way!

It seems I was wrong. My game is running at 1920x1080.

It is trange that it can't run it at higher settings. Does your laptop have any way of manually switching between dedicated and integrated graphics? You might need to check it's actually using the nVidia card and not the integrated intel one.

The only other thing I can think of that might have an effect is some of the settings in the nVidia control panel.

No worries! What did you do to fix it?

Something else you could try to fix the resolution issue, take a look in the nVidia control panel and the scaling options. Go to the "adjust desktop size and position", and you should see some scaling options. You could try some of those settings?

HE likely told the laptop to run the game in nvidia card vs the intel card. As you suggestioned. I know for a fact the game defaults to intel.

As for the resolution you have to edit the cfg file.

I've found the fix for the black bars on the sides issue relating to the resolution after all of these years playing this game.  You have to right click on the game icon that launches the game, you then go to Properties, under that you go to Compatibility, under the settings, make sure the "Disable display scaling on high DPI setting is "Checked".  You will not be able to put any resolution you want in the .cfg file.

• Like 1

I've changed the resolution numerous times through the .cfg file already - all with a proper effect. Except for when picking 1920x1080. This is what confuses me. 1600x900 (16:9) works, but 1920x1080 (also 16:9) doesn't, although the monitor is full HD. I don't see how that entirely makes sense.

And, well - it did. edwarddl's suggestion was the winner, and everything now works as it should. Thank you very, very much! No trouble with the graphics, and the resolution is full HD now. Really appreciate it guys - time to get back modding, now on the move :-)

Thanks a bunch!

On 2/26/2015 at 11:43 PM, edwarddl said:

I've found the fix for the black bars on the sides issue relating to the resolution after all of these years playing this game.  You have to right click on the game icon that launches the game, you then go to Properties, under that you go to Compatibility, under the settings, make sure the "Disable display scaling on high DPI setting is "Checked".  You will not be able to put any resolution you want in the .cfg file.

Thanks, you fixed my problem.