Hoppah

[HOLD] New York City Modification v2.0

Ultimately I have enough source imagery to make either vessel work for the game, but the "bravest" vessel has better (higher res) pictures, just a fact of the thing being newer means newer better cameras on it compared to the older one.  Which is why I've opted to let this one go to the end-user.  One of our other marine boats slightly exceeds our timeline but there are worse things if only the marine vessels do this.  Just happened that the newer marine vessel was more purpose-built compared to the old one it replaced, which was more or less just a civilian vessel painted for the role instead of actually looking and being capable of the role it plays.

With bravest vs kane they ultimately will serve the purpose just fine whichever way it happens to go from a visual standpoint and function standpoint, but since both vessels are a time-investment to recreate them I figured I'd let the end users pick which one they'd rather see included instead of me making the call myself since they really are a toss-up in my eyes in regard to actual use in the gameplay aspect.  On these two it's more preference for the vessel designs than actual layout, ultimately it isnt which one I prefer but which one you guys want to see included in the mod.  Whichever one wins more votes is the one that will end up recreated for the mod.  I just hope it isnt a close vote in the end lol.

My vote goes to the new one, mainly because it is new. I think that (Unless for scale purposes) you should add a larger, more fire-fighting and multitask boat, like this one: http://www.capecodfd.com/PAGES%20Special/Fireboats_FDNY_04_New-M1.htm

Also, incase you haven't came across this site yet, They have pictures of almost, if not every, Boat in the FDNY's current and old fleet.

Marine 1 (343) is Massive, it does not have a place in the mod.  Realize the scale of that vessel compared to the "bravest" or "kane".  The vessel pictured with the 343 is a roughly 33 foot long vessel, as you can see the size difference is too massive to even consider it for the map.  The largest vessel we will be adding is either the bravest or kane, we will not be doing something the scale of 343 since it would have navigation problems and frankly be oversized for the map.

The largest deck gun on the "bravest" appears to be present on the 343 10 times just for an idea of scaling differences.

9338068009_5c48353e96.jpg

I am totally indifferent as to which one gets represented, which is why I've posed the question to the end-users.  To me they both serve the purpose that we intend for them, they both on this instance at least look the part (compared to many of the older smaller marine units NY had) and ultimately as far as building them goes they're about the same effort for either one.  So for me I really don't mind which one ends up in it, but since I have to put the time into making whichever one it is, I want to make sure whichever one gets put in is the one more people would rather see since in this case the old and the new pretty much are twins in how they'll function for game play. The only difference to me is the time in which they ordered them, but as I've said since it is only the marine units, it shouldn't detract too much having newer boats as opposed to cars where one new one would throw off the rest of them, the boats are kinda isolated in their use so it doesnt matter as much in that role.

Yes, the map has enough water to function properly with the designed water missions. Much more than other mods like LA or what have you. The thing is though, given the size of the map in the game, the boats picked are able to fit perfectly in the map and function properly as well. If you put a large boat like Marine 1 in, no it wouldn't work, but the water is a portion large enough. 

I don't have a copy on this computer, but there is about 30-40% water if memory serves

My guess estimate would put the water to be around 20-25% of the map where you'll have marine related missions so with every boat we've added we've tried to give them a purpose to make each one have a use.  The vessel in the vote fills the last role, but the old and new ones can fit the bill almost identically, such is why we've left it to the end users to pick which appearance wise they' prefer.  Ultimately either vessel old or new will fill the final role we require represented just fine, we have several other marine units that cover everything else, aside from the jet ski and RHIB found on R1 in the original mod.

No there is no need for larger boats than the final one.  The final vessels are quite large in their own rights. The Bravest and the Kane are quite large vessels Kane is 52 feet long and Bravest is 65 feet long.  These are not small vessels, and ultimately there are not many uses for vessels larger than that even in the original missions should one be so inclined.  The size of the vessel does not denote it's function, especially in this game and ultimately either of these two vessels we're discussing would be more capable than the original large fire boat.

http://www.capecodfd.com/PAGES%20Special/Fireboats_FDNY_07_Old-M6.htm

I follow a guy who makes boat models and he made a model of the  kevin c kane and that is the site he said he used the most as he worked on his model.

There is also someone on flickr that has a bunch of pics but I can not open it on my work computer I will get on my phone and get you the link.

Yes, that's where I sourced the best options for Kane from as well, thanks for the help, I appreciate it, though as it stands it's looking like bravest is going to win unless fans of the Kane one put in a few more votes. Either way it's looking pretty close going back and forth.

Well, they say imitation is the greatest form of flattery, I wonder what it is then when someone just takes yours as their own...  I can't personally see it as flattery, but perhaps that's just me.  If not for the fact that we've already went down this road once before, and were given word that it would be resolved then I figured this would no longer be a problem.  Apparently taking this issue in good faith was a serious mistake, and I gave too much credit to the level of respect people are capable of.  There is a difference between accidentally doing something, and knowingly with full intention taking advantage of something. The first time something like this happens it's possible it's a misunderstanding, the second time it happens from the same people it's just pathetic.

What people fail to grasp is the level of time invested to do this type of hobby, time that could be placed into other things instead.  It is of course "not a big deal" when you're not the one actually taking the time and putting your effort into something, so I do not expect anyone who does not do it to understand my feelings..  I would expect other modders to grasp the concept though, and the flat out disregard for this just frankly speaks to a situation where people just prove their character for what it really is.  I've put a good deal of my time and energy into this project, working when I could to try to improve the modification as I went along and ultimately gained experience.  When it came to people asking to use the things that I put the time into, I simply asked to be informed so I knew where and how it was being used, and usually I let people have at it.  When people are just taking things without even so much as a common courtesy, that is a problem, but to take something and claim it as your own, that is just ignorant.

I don't figure that the community as a whole will frankly care what's transpired, more or less just figure "but that's toys you're taking away from me", and in fact it very well may, which is a shame.. Ultimately though it falls on the offenders for the faults in their actions that out of respect one would hope they would be up front about, but time and again people prove incapable of that courtesy, yet expect the respect they're incapable of giving to others...  The problem going forth is that I value my time greatly, and don't enjoy feeling it's being wasted, when someone is not only taking things that I put effort into, but taking them and not even using them in a different way from the way that I did, it really sits badly with me. Couple that with the indignant belief it's acceptable to not only take things but claim them as yours, yet expect people to credit you for yours speaks to an egotistical hypocrisy.

This community was intended to be a collaborative place where people could share and work together on things, ultimately it has become a place of givers and takers.  Where people have no qualms about stomping over anyone else so long as they get what they want out of it, which is fine if that's what you want to have, I certainly don't think it's an ethical way to be.  Take the time to think about the time invested by the people before you screw em over, for you it may only take 15 minutes but someone took the time and effort you're exploiting. This type of behavior that has become standard as of late may keep the gimmick "toys" coming that the community wants, but ultimately it also reduces the desire of people to waste their time in providing new and interesting things for the community to enjoy, if the goal is to ensure that people stop bothering to try to evolve this aged game all that has to happen is what has been a problem of late and people will stop wasting the time.

Because of how I feel regarding this stupidly ignorant scenario that has been presented, but more importantly the way in which it has been handled I figure it is not worth the hassle of wasting my time any further.  As such I am suspending this modification unless Hoop feels so inclined to continue forth with it, I can find more prudent things to do with my time rather than wasting it only to have others not only jack the things I put time into and claim them as their own, but to do so in such a way they feel compelled to be indignant when someone catches them.. The arrogance involved to think this way just boggles my mind, it ultimately comes down to respect of one another and the time and effort placed into even a hobby.. It may be "just a hobby" but it's still my time invested into this hobby, and ultimately what's the point in it if people can't even be respectful of one another when it comes down to it in the end.

For me unless something changes to drastically change my view, I'll find better uses for my time rather than trying to put new content into this ancient game that a limited number even play.  I as of right now see no reason for the effort when it'll just be hijacked without any regard what so ever for the time I put into it.  Thank you to everyone that supported what I tried to do while working on this project, it had its fun moments and was a good bit of work, but ultimately this latest affair just comes down as another example of everything that is wrong with people's viewpoints when it comes to respecting people's effort.  The reality is I can just as easily take the things I've put effort into as a hobby and sell them as opposed to making them for this game, and frankly with the lack of appreciation for the effort it certainly looks more practical to do that instead.

We made a lot of process lately, but unfortunately we decided to put the mod on hold for an undefined amount of time, perhaps forever. We already worked out many great new functionalities which weren't shown on screenshots yet and tier 1 of our mod was already playable. MikeyPI handcrafted tons of new beautiful vehicle models and I took care of the scripts, the map and great deal of the objects and buildings for the map. That said, both me and MikeyPI have a feeling that many of our added stuff will be jacked without any regard once we release the mod in public.

We've put massive time in it, but under current circumstances it'd hurt more seeing it torn apart and nobody giving a damn of the massive time we put into it. We apologize to the people who are serious about just happily playing it as an end-consumer and the mod-creaters who do give a damn about the source of the original content.

We made a lot of process lately, but unfortunately we decided to put the mod on hold for an undefined amount of time, perhaps forever. We already worked out many great new functionalities which weren't shown on screenshots yet and tier 1 of our mod was already playable. MikeyPI handcrafted tons of new beautiful vehicle models and I took care of the scripts, the map and great deal of the objects and buildings for the map. That said, both me and MikeyPI have a feeling that many of our added stuff will be jacked without any regard once we release the mod in public.

We've put massive time in it, but under current circumstances it'd hurt more seeing it torn apart and nobody giving a damn of the massive time we put into it. We apologize to the people who are serious about just happily playing it as an end-consumer and the mod-creaters who do give a damn about the source of the original content.

That is understandable though as soon as you release something on the internet for the public, everyone has it and starts tearing it apart but then if its not released it "hurts" the people who were looking forward to playing it. Its a no win situation. You release stuff and your creations gets copied/stolen etc, if you don't release it you get lots of disappointed people.

At the end of the day, it is up to yourselves as the content creators whether you wish to release your mods. You put the time and effort into it, but then only to have it ripped off you and someone is claiming its theirs.

Not sure if that made much sense... I've been up since 5am lol.

We probably both will remain active on the forums for a while. At least I'll be monitoring other projects and see how they progress and if people behave. For now, I just pull my hands off modding. We'll see what the future brings.

All I can say is welcome to modding. This crap has been happening in the GTA community for years. What made people think it would not happen in the EM4 Community. I know of mods that have used my stuff without permission but I do not see the point of causing a controversy on a forum and that seems to be what a certain individual within the EMP Community has done and now you guys are having to go through and check it all out and enforce it.