Hoppah

[HOLD] New York City Modification v2.0

We are the equivalent of the "union" modders. we work on our own timetables when we can and more importantly feel like working on the mod. We are making progress and will release some more pictures sometime soon =) Patience is a virtue, and unions can go on strike >)

What makes it more interesting is that because we're a multinational team, our union isn't quite one. We each have different time tables, for instance, I only work for a minimum of four hours work, with a minimum of 30 minutes break time included. And my hours have to be a certain time frame with a certain amount of notice. 

Not to say work isn't being done, it's just we're relaxed about how it's done

Hello guys,

Some new screenshots!

post-4-0-13784700-1428950048_thumb.jpg post-4-0-53816900-1428950047_thumb.jpg
post-4-0-54244200-1428950046_thumb.jpg post-4-0-01746300-1428950045_thumb.jpg
post-4-0-90539300-1428950045_thumb.jpg post-4-0-34868600-1428950043_thumb.jpg
post-4-0-93799600-1428950043_thumb.jpg

Lately we've been mostly working on new buildings and filling the map a bit up. We're making good progress on that. but there is stil a lot that needs to be done. We can hopefully release some more information regarding gameplay soon. Just like Meik and NFK said, we take our time. I wish I had more time to work on the mod, but a fulltime job is unfortunately demanding. 

The AI is too dumb to flood the map with excessive traffic.  Fairly fast the map would turn into gridlock from the user's activities (IE redirecting traffic or blocking an intersection). So while realistic, in this game once a spawn is blocked the traffic won't spawn anymore there, so it'd cause more complaints if the traffic seized up the first time you jammed it resulting in alotta traffic till you cleared it then a ghost town because of the way the game handles that issue.

You guys planing on adding interiors to the buildings or will it be like some other mods where the FF and police walk into it then disappear and then come back later? I must say I enjoy any mod that has interiors. makes FF and swat way more interesting. 

So I have a idea, not sure if you'l want to look into it for this mod but I thought it was cool.

Is it possible to have cars run over people? If its possible it would be cool to have a script so that if personal were not in traffic vests or bunker gear and encountered a car on the road they would be hit and become injured. This way we have a added layer or relism and a use for the traffic vest.

So I have a idea, not sure if you'l want to look into it for this mod but I thought it was cool.

Is it possible to have cars run over people? If its possible it would be cool to have a script so that if personal were not in traffic vests or bunker gear and encountered a car on the road they would be hit and become injured. This way we have a added layer or relism and a use for the traffic vest.

Original Emergency games had this feature as standard.

It is quite possible in EM4. All Hoppah needs to do is play with the physics engine via mission script. Some of my own examples here:

This has many more negatives than positives:

• The game has spotty physics. Might not always work/might crash game
  • These things are optimized for cutscenes, not general gameplay
  • PAIN IN TEH *bleep* TO TEST AND DEBUG
  • Too much work IMO for only a minor cosmetic gameplay function.

An alternate solution would be to only allow redirection and traffic control when wearing the traffic vest

If anyone wants to try this out, here's some of the code used.

MoveCollCheck OnCheckMoveCollision(GameObject *Collider1_, Actor *Collider2_){	if (	Collider1_ && Collider1_->GetID() == ccrash.GetID() ))	{		return MCC_IGNORE_CONTINUE;	}	if (	Collider1_ && Collider1_->GetID() == gcar.GetID() ))	{		return MCC_IGNORE_CONTINUE;	}	return MCC_HALT_CONTINUE;}void OnCollision(GameObject *Collider1, GameObject *Collider2){	if (!Collider1 || !Collider2)		return;		if (Collider1->GetType() == ACTOR_VEHICLE && Collider2->GetType() == ACTOR_VEHICLE)	{		if (Collider1->GetID() == ccrash.GetID() || Collider2->GetID() == ccrash.GetID())		{			GameObject *suv = NULL, *sedan = NULL;			if (Collider1->HasName("cs_gcar") && Collider2->HasName("cs_crash_car"))			{				suv = Collider1;				sedan = Collider2;			}			else if (Collider1->HasName("cs_crash_car") && Collider2->HasName("cs_gcar"))			{				sedan = Collider1;				suv = Collider2;			}			if(suv)			{				suv->ChangePrototype(PROTOTYPE_WRECK2);				suv->EnablePhysicsSimulation(true);				suv->EnablePhysics();				suv->SetPhysicsVelocity(10.0f, -8.0f, 2.0f);			}			if(sedan)			{				sedan->ChangePrototype(PROTOTYPE_WRECK1);				sedan->EnablePhysicsSimulation(true);				sedan->EnablePhysics();				sedan->SetPhysicsVelocity(24.0f, -6.0f, 1.0f);			}			Audio::PlaySample3D(SOUND_CAR_CRASH, ccrash.GetPosition(), false);			for (int d=0; d < MAX_DEBRIS; ++d)			{				mDebris[d].Show();			}			Vector EmitterPos1 = ccrash.GetPosition();			Vector EmitterPos2 = gcar.GetPosition();			Game::PlayEmitter("thud01", EmitterPos1);			Game::PlayEmitter("windowsplints02", EmitterPos1);			Game::PlayEmitter("thud01", EmitterPos2);			Game::PlayEmitter("windowsplints02", EmitterPos2);			System::Log("M05: Car crash!");			Mission::StartSingleTimer(TIMER_ENDCRASH, TIME_ENDCRASH);		}	}}

We did tests on playing with the physics for real-time crashes before, while it looked interesting and clever, there were alotta drawbacks to implementing it. In the end it was more comical than actually a cool thing when we totaled our test car with a script. Hitting a ped with a car is probably easier in comparison so idk bout that one at this time.

It's always difficult to balance features and usability. (scripts vs bugs) The goal is always a bug free product. Keep your goals realistic and innovate where you can.

If you stretch your goals too far, you end up with more features but more bugs; some mods never fix these bugs simply to keep the "feature" in.

It's always difficult to balance features and usability. (scripts vs bugs) The goal is always a bug free product. Keep your goals realistic and innovate where you can.

If you stretch your goals too far, you end up with more features but more bugs; some mods never fix these bugs simply to keep the "feature" in.

That is why we abandoned the vehicle vs vehicle collisions, the bugs that resulted from the engine's problems while hilarious to watch were so inconsistent that it made it kind of pointless to implement them.  The script was fine but the reliability in the engine's physics to complete the task the same way every time just wasnt there.  Mowing down a ped with a car in theory should be more reliable but we'd have to test it to see if it would respond as intended reliably, so maybe that can happen but I wouldnt bet the farm on it given what we've learned previously from using vehicles in a similar fashion.

There's a bit of realism issue to vehicle-pedestrian collisions in a NYC mod. The citywide speed limit is only 25mph unless otherwise posted. Even large 6 lane highways like West St in downtown Manhattan have a speed limit of only 35mph. People really aren't going fast enough to make first responders being struck by vehicles a major issue. Civilian employees of the NYPD who work traffic control all day wear reflective vests, but aside from that it's unusual to see actual cops wearing gear like that. Even on special events and on scene in collisions, cops usually just rely on their vehicle's emergency lights to create visibility.

For gameplay, it's actually very realistic to simply put a cop standing in the street to momentarily stop traffic.A mechanic where personnel can be run over for standing in a vehicle's path would make a lot of sense if the mod took place in a rural area or on a highway, but in this case would in fact detract from realism.

Believe it or not while not while they arent usually fatal, its quite common for pedestrian MVA's in most urban centers.  The low-speed nature of these type of accidents equate to mostly "fender bender" accidents and minor pedestrian injuries, but in urban environments people (usually distracted by cell phones) do have a tendency to not pay attention because of the security of low speed and boom do stupid things.  Though in those instances the high-visibility vests don't really get a chance to come into play, you'd be amazed how often people can ignore flashing lights and still cream the rear of your vehicle.

To have people killed in most of these instances of accidents would be extremely rare, unless it was a large vehicle like a bus or a heavy truck, but it is quite common in most major cities to have pedestrian vs vehicle mva's as a result of either the pedestrian or the operator of the vehicle not paying attention.

True, but when it comes to a mechanic involving emergency personnel and vehicles striking them couldn't it get kind of messy? It's just a fact that cops and firefighters in NYC pretty routinely end up standing in the streets without any special bright vests on. There really aren't any numbers on how many cops have been bumped by a car in the line of duty in NYC, but for some context the last cop to be struck and killed by a vehicle here was in 1997.
https://www.odmp.org/agency/2758-new-york-city-police-department-new-york

;) I never stipulated that it would be required to have a vest or not have a vest, just that pedestrian vs vehicle mva's may be possible.  Truth is though anyone standing in the street (even some who arent) are fair game for distracted drivers, so depending on where/how they stand could increase the odds you'll get struck by a motor vehicle... Just throwing ideas in the air at this point because we havent even tested mowing down peds with the cars, let alone set the conditions for who or where they would be mowed down.. The Devil is in the details when it comes to that.  As I said just above:

To have people killed in most of these instances of accidents would be extremely rare, unless it was a large vehicle like a bus or a heavy truck, but it is quite common in most major cities to have pedestrian vs vehicle mva's as a result of either the pedestrian or the operator of the vehicle not paying attention.

So I aint trying to kill everyone who's struck, but just like someone slipping on ice, many people end up requiring transport that probably don't really need it, even emergency personnel. We can set the conditions for what "happens" to the victim on our terms, as to how it looks that is kind of set by the game's physics, so it's just a theoretical situation at this time.  But we could have someone mowed down like in GTA and get right back up if we were so inclined, or we can have them stay down and just be minor injuries, or we can turn em into road kill, that part of it is totally up to us.

To expand on what Mike's saying, if you look at explosions in the game. Often times, something will blow up and send your personnel backwards so many feet, and they'll lay down, but they'll get back up with half health. Other times, they'll get obliterated. I once had a guy actually killed by an explosion. More often than not though, it's minor injuries at best. That's probably what you'd see in mowing down of peds 

In my opinion you guys should release two files when the games are done. One for the ones who dont want personel to get runned over when they dont have the vest on and the other file to have personel get runned over when they dont have the vest on. In my opinion