firefighterguy9535

Game going Fullscreen not normal size

If you want your game to run in a windowed setting, some video cards have software that will override the game settings and force fullscreen instead of windowed, check your video card's included application to see if it has other settings (AMD for ex is the catalyst center. Make sure that it is using the application's settings and it should permit the game to run using it's settings instead of nvidia/amd/or intel settings.

Right click on your desktop, in the options in your menu that pops up should be AMD Catalyst control center or Graphics properties... Depends on your OS what it shows. Make sure it's using application settings where possible, mine for example can't run in windowed mode because of my video card. Not without using alternative programs to start it up.

When in AMD catalyst control app, verify that the settings are set to "Use Application Settings" wherever possible.

Open EM4.CFG (note you will probably have to copy it to the desktop in order to save changes because of UAC protection on Program Files):

Find the following Value:

<var name="r_fullscreen" value="1" />

Change it to the following:

<var name="r_fullscreen" value="0" />

Once this is done, right click the file, select properties:

Ensure that the "READ ONLY" flag is checked (IF read-only is not checked the game WILL overwrite the settings upon loading the game, checking read-only will prevent it from altering the config file).

Paste the configuration file back into the EM4 Directory.

Next Step:

Open the properties on the EM4 Shortcut:

Under the Compatibility tab, check the compatibility mode tab, in the drop-down box select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)"

Press OK to save changes to the shortcut.

Final Step:

Press and HOLD the SHIFT key  while executing the short cut.

NOTE: you MUST hold the SHIFT key down until the game has started, this means that even if the UAC pop-up comes up you still must continue to hold down the shift key until the game has started in the windowed mode.  If you let go prior to that or do not hold SHIFT at all, the game WILL start in fullscreen regardless of the settings.

This has been tested and works under windows 8.1 with AMD R9 video card, so it should work for other AMD class cards, most likely it will work for any card.

Then you missed a step somewhere more likely than not, probably you're not holding shift even through the UAC pop-up, if you let it go too early, it doesnt force windowed mode.

UAC is the user account control that pops-up when you have a program that runs as an administrator, it says "do you want to allow this program to make changes to this computer" or something to that effect, if you select no when that pops-up, the program doesnt run, if you select yes it goes ahead and loads the program.  IF you have UAC enabled, you must continue to hold shift through that process up until the point the game loads and forces windowed mode.

You can try updating/changing your vid drivers and amd catalyst, it might make a dent but that's a shot in the dark.  The method that I found works with my ver of AMD and my AMD vid card, but mine is dedicated so I'm not quite sure if it makes a diff or not vs the integrated ones.