Nick Van Baal

Emergency 5 keeps crashing

Hello everyone,

I just purchase Emergency 5 deluxe edition by steam. It have automaticly updated the game.

And i have install the game to my Extern Hard drive. Because of the size...

The install was a succes, directx and vissaul++ are succesful installed. But when i want to play the game it keeps on crashing..

When i go play campaign mode before the first mission (tutorial) it crashes.. I have tryed to open free mode, but after loading it crashes... so i haven't played jet...

Can anybody help me ?

My pc:

Windows 7 32 bit
AMD Phenom II x4 965 Processor 3.40 GHz

3 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Can you upload your dxdiag file and log file?

I wrote some instructions here: http://forum.emergency-planet.com/topic/19824-emergency-4-display-problem-steam-version/#entry286350

For the log file for Emergency 5 though, you need to look in the "C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Promotion Software GmbH\EMERGENCY 5\log\" directory.

I think a new log file is written each time you start Emergency 5, so just upload whichever one (or more) are the crash-related ones. The filename format seems to be "qsf_YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_LOG#.log".

I just noticed you only have 3GB of RAM. The minimum requirement is actually 4GB.

The first log you uploaded has this error:

[2014-12-11 22:29:56][QSF error] alBufferData: Out of Memory

I would think, given what I've personally seen with Emergency 5 and what others have reported, that you do not have enough RAM to properly run the game.

Your system is also 32-bit, so you'd have to switch to a 64-bit computer to be able to utilize more RAM. Based on what little I know about the CPU in your PC, it should be 64-bit, but you'lll need to check the rest of your hardware as well. It's possible that all you would need to do is switch to a 64-bit version of Windows and add some more RAM (supposing your motherboard supports that as well).

If the game loads and plays, can't he just try put everything on LOW?

That should at least work.

Try that... put all the graphics and the lowest settings possible, even the lowest resolution, close as many applications prior to loading the game as well.

If it works, up the resolution ONLY, then to the next one, next next if it doesn't crash, try up the settings 1 at a time.

Let us know.

I know games all say they need MINIMUM 4GB sometimes, but mostly, they never (or I've never seen) them use more than 2GB, even COD: Ghosts never used more than 3GB.

If the game loads and plays, can't he just try put everything on LOW?

That should at least work.

Try that... put all the graphics and the lowest settings possible, even the lowest resolution, close as many applications prior to loading the game as well.

If it works, up the resolution ONLY, then to the next one, next next if it doesn't crash, try up the settings 1 at a time.

Let us know.

I know games all say they need MINIMUM 4GB sometimes, but mostly, they never (or I've never seen) them use more than 2GB, even COD: Ghosts never used more than 3GB.

I would agree (to a degree) in many applications, but as I've said before, many reviews have stated that the RAM usage is exremely high for Em5, regardless of settings. Whether this is an optimization issue or otherwise, I don't know, but that's why I wouldn't be surprised to see the 4GB minimum enforced (at least for the time being).

That being said, it's definitely worth a try in my opinion. :)

I wil try to set things on low... but where can i do that? the only thing in the option menu-Graphics are resolution and brightness..

About the RAM, Currently the price voor 8 GB RAM DDR2 are to high for me.. DDR3 is cheap, thats why DDR2 is expensive.. :P The price is about the same for a new pc..

So if the settings not work, i gonna buy 2GB RAM. But please explaine where i can find more graphics options...

DDR2 is more expensive because it's old(er) - DDR3 would be cheap because it's new(er).

Anything older is always more expensive because it's more rare.

Don't you have Craigslist or Gumtree... all you need to do is try test the memory (before buying) for 30 minutes (requires a bit of IT know how) or so but even so, that has it's worries (scams, hardware going faulty later) but the positive is that you can find bargains.

I wil try to set things on low... but where can i do that? the only thing in the option menu-Graphics are resolution and brightness..

About the RAM, Currently the price voor 8 GB RAM DDR2 are to high for me.. DDR3 is cheap, thats why DDR2 is expensive.. :P The price is about the same for a new pc..

So if the settings not work, i gonna buy 2GB RAM. But please explaine where i can find more graphics options...

If you don't see the quality settings in the option menu, you can manually edit the settings file here:

C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Promotion Software GmbH\EMERGENCY 5\emergency_5_settings.json

I believe you can change lines 25, 26, 27, 40, 41, 68, 69, and 70 where it says "ULTRA", "HIGH", or "MEDIUM" to "LOW" to manually set it to low settings.

Lines 56 and 57 can be changed to "false" if set to "true". This should disable Fxaa and Depth of Field.

Shadows can be disabled by setting line 45 to "false". Some users have reported noticable gains in FPS but a resulting lack in quality as well.

Line 21 can be set to "false" to disable fullscreen if desired.

Lines 22 and 23 can be changed to edit windowed and fullscreen resolutions.

Regarding the RAM, remember that you need a 64-bit operating system (yours is 32-bit) to fully utilize any more RAM. Adding more RAM (even just 2GB) will not be very useful until you have an operating system capable of recognizing and using it.

i have tryed every thing you said.

Most of the settings where already set to low... I have tryed free mode.. settings on 800x600 there the fireman can spray but after a few seconds it crash..

I think the only option left is expand my RAM, and put a new operation system on it... Maybe thats the sollution..

Thanx for the advices!

Yeah, 64 BIT and 32 BIT OS' 

You never can win with bloody computers!

Call of Duty: Ghosts is the ONLY freaking game I own that MUST have a 64 BIT OS.

So I had to ultimately get a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 BIT - lucky for me just before I purchased it, I found someone who wanted to swop.

It's so bloody stupid.