Modzzguy202

GTA 4 computer

True, desktops are much cheaper due to the fact all parts don't have to be custom made as such; you can quite literally shove parts in and make a computer.

But, if you're set on a laptop, then go for a strong quad-cored CPU as GTA IV seems to like those. You'll also ideally want a strong graphics card, which, along with the usual 6/8GB RAM and stuff, on a laptop, will set you back easily a thousand USD. I won't suggest one as I don't know your price range, though!

The simple facts of it:

Pros of a desktop:

Easy to upgrade components as they age and get out of date, far easier than within a laptop.

Better heat dissipation, thus better for gaming.

Cons:

Bulky, cannot be considered portable in any way.

Building a new gaming rig from the ground up will be rather costly.  Unlike replacing just one component, making a whole new one can come in fairly expensive depending on what parts you wish to have within it and the chassis to house it.

Pros of a laptop:

Mobility, you can take it anywhere and go with it...

If you pick a good one they are just as capable as their desktop counterparts (in some cases better, HAH hoop! mein's better!).

Can be utilized when a plug is unavailable or on the go (though intensive games will kill the battery fairly fast).

Cons:

Limited upgrade potential within them.  Usually the important guts of a computer are things that you can't replace, IE CPU and GPU's are generally matched to the mainboard of the laptop genre, so changing them after the fact is generally not worth the investment cost.  Things like ram and harddisks can be replaced within them though. So make sure that you pick a laptop with optimum video and CPU performance for gaming when you invest in one.

They do tend to generate alot of heat when gaming, for a rig with decent cooling capacity this isnt an issue though sitting it on your lap while playing those games can make it rather warm.

The mobile equivalent of the video cards generally can't just be straight about performance, so in trying to be more efficient/less heat they lose a bit of performance over their desktop counterpart.  This difference is usually a moot point however, as the mobile and desktop versions in real-world performance can generally be expected to be about the same.  But in "raw" data on the performance the mobile ones generally take a hit over their desktop counterpart.

In the end when it comes to purchasing a computer for gaming or otherwise one must take into count what they tend to do more often.  If you generally are sitting at a desk and have the space to place the tower of a desktop, then that is probably the ideal solution for your situation.  It would allow you to buy a decent starting computer and upgrade it as you can afford to in order to enhance performance (though realize that the limiting factor is still your mainboard, if it is at the limit of it from the onset of installation then you'll have to buy a new one when the time to upgrade the CPU comes due).

If you are for example a college student, or soon to be college student, or someone with limited space, and/or always on the go, a laptop would probably be a more ideal solution.  Granted, they arent as upgrade friendly as their desktop counterparts, but in my experience they are just as capable of gaming, in some instances better than their desktop counterparts..  The problem comes into price, if you can't afford the proper equipment within the laptop, then you really won't be setup for gaming.  INTEL and other integrated chipsets are absolutely unacceptable for high end gaming application,  you need a proper dedicated card, generally nvidia and AMD Radeon dedicated chipsets are what are available on laptops.

What's a good pc?? Is the pc better to run on it then a laptop

Upgrade the GPU to a GeForce GTX 760 or 660 (Or equivalent), and you have a solid machine.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/CyberpowerPC-Gamer-Ultra-GUA250-w-AMD-FX-4300-3.8GHz-Gaming-Computer/6325729/product.html

Alot of people complain about quality control on the above computer from overstock.  Whether they just got lemons or not idk, but from what I read it doesnt seem to be ideal for gaming, more of a multimedia computer that wants to be a gaming comp.

Alot of people complain about quality control on the above computer from overstock.  Whether they just got lemons or not idk, but from what I read it doesnt seem to be ideal for gaming, more of a multimedia computer that wants to be a gaming comp.

Not what i've experienced. I have the Computer myself, and have had no problems with it.

Again, only thing is, the graphics card is a piece of garbage. 

From what I saw looking on several sites that have sold it, the two primary complaints are the graphics card and power supply are terrible.  Outside of that a good number of people had quality-control issues with the product, I am not one to put 100% of my stock into reviews, but when there are certain trends I tend to heed them at least.

Well, to even give you an idea of what you can get we need to know your price point as to what you have to spend on the new computer.  Different budgets make for different options.

https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1054631

If you have the external devices IE. Monitor, mouse, keyboard, that one is a decent computer.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd?oc=dpcwxy01s&model_id=alienware-x51-r2

Another with the same issues, if you have the externals it is fine.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-xps-x8700-1262blk-desktop-21-5-led-monitor-package/9999239100050004.p?id=pcmprd237900050004&skuId=9999239100050004

Dell with monitor. but it isnt the strongest gaming computer, the two that are above this one are more ideal.

It should be able to do both those games pretty well, GTA IV modified it depends on the mods on how they'll perform.  I can't speak for the spec requirements for all the mods out there.  Remember though in the instances of the first two you will require a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers.  If you have them already then it would be suitable for you imo.

I cannot find the spec requirements for the mod, but chances are they arent that insane. With any mod that includes custom content unless you go off the hook with sending in tons of vehicles it should run fine on it. If you can get away with upgrading the ram to 8GB that wouldnt hurt though.

I cannot find the spec requirements for the mod, but chances are they arent that insane. With any mod that includes custom content unless you go off the hook with sending in tons of vehicles it should run fine on it. If you can get away with upgrading the ram to 8GB that wouldnt hurt though.

Lcpdfr is a script for playing as police officer. As such it will not be that demanding on it self

For gta I will just be doing lcpdfr

What will need additional resource is els, certain car mods, and other modification.

Plain stock gta4 with lcpdfr sure be more problem on Windows Vista or newer pc. Xp support has been dropped, expect on older versions of lcpdfr but these versions are no longer support them self.

goodluck.  Most machines ship with 8 now, which once you get over the start menu being strange is perfectly fine.  Believe it or not in most instances you pay more for the windows 7 version than the windows 8 version of the machine. The only compatibility issues I've ran across in win8 is related to things that don't work in Vista+ either, ms-dos based applications.  Every other type of program you can get the Visual Basic packages and DirectX packages to run on win8 just as easy as Vista/7.