helljumper51

New Map-Opinions?

Hey all. Here is a quick new map I put together. I had a more rural Northeastern US plan in mind for it. I was trying to figure out how best to make the map FEEL rural and also less european than the freeplay map. I am open for import and comments!

George County:

GeorgeCounty_zpsfbe0fc25.jpg

Lose the cul-de-sac setup, they are fairly rare in the north-east, most of them are seen in places that wouldnt really be considered rural.

I agree, it would be far more likley to have the road dead end or tapper off to a ATV track or something...

More dirt roads would really give it a rural feel. In my fire district (which is pretty rural. No hydrants makes for a fun challenge), almost all the roads are dirt, with the exception of the state highways and a few major roads. Most rural areas (down here, anyways) consist of a few basic things: Woods, farmland, and dirt roads. I see you've got the farmland, and I presume that to be woods. Add some dirt trails (big enough to fit a pickup/brush truck down) on the map and not much else, and you've got it.

I might have something to help you out. Search Google Maps for "Franklin Township, NJ." Use that as a guide for your map, or don't, it is your map after all. I'm just thinking it's has a mix of everything from an established town to wide open farms, to something in between. So far your map looks good, but I can't say much without buildings. Like in the top right, that could be the main fire station, a church, or a strip mall, the latter two having hugely different impacts on how I would perceive the apparent population density of your town. About the cul de sacs. In the blue collar section you have grid streets that dead end, in the white collar section, you have housing communities with cul de sacs and curvy roads. Your map looks more undeveloped rather than rural, so maybe you're looking for something else, but I thought I'd help you out if I could.