Blackout

Importing a model

They probably communicated with the devs in German! Ughhhh.

Where did you find this, link please. :happy:

http://www.emergency-forum.de/board330-emergency-5/board379-emergency-5-modding/board389-emergency-5-modding-discoveries/59824-anleitung-um-modelle-in-den-editor-zu-importieren/

Here. It was done by using OGRE Scene Importer in 3dsMax.

I don't have any of those programs (and EM5 won't work on my PC) and don't know shit on what to do because the instructions are in German. But anyone with time and skill has my permission to convert my models into EM5.

The pics do say something. Existing EM4 models WON'T look out of place in EM5. The Passat model in that picture looks on level with the person models and the EM5 RW Model.

The way the models are in EM4 isnt exactly the most compatible for EM5, but in the end I highly doubt that most people would notice the differences within them.  If they were cleaned up it would prob work okey though, but the really low poly models will certainly stand out compared to the "new" ones.  IMO not for the right reasons, the new models arent the most impressive things i've seen in my modeling career.

The way the models are in EM4 isnt exactly the most compatible for EM5, but in the end I highly doubt that most people would notice the differences within them.  If they were cleaned up it would prob work okey though, but the really low poly models will certainly stand out compared to the "new" ones.  IMO not for the right reasons, the new models arent the most impressive things i've seen in my modeling career.

Well honestly, if you clean up the models and leave no "new" models to compare it with, I'd bet the average Joe wouldn't notice. It looks like converting models is a bit more than changing formats. I think the models have specular mapping and stuff like that so that's an extra step that should be taken.

Thanks for the link,

I also see on those forums people have found out how to...

- Import real landscapes in to EM5 editor

- Put custom lights on to vehicles already in game

However I can't read the German slang too well on that forum.

Google Translate does an "okay" job at translating it but some words don't come up well.

And real landscapes, that's cool.

Do you need to convert the files? (I'm on mobile and the link's being a pain) Because for the Merickton Beta (LINK BELOW!!!) for Em3, I literally just dragged and dropped the files there for shits and giggles and it worked. Thought they looked better in Em3 so I released it that way. I also took Em3 files and tried to see if I could put them in Em4 and poof! Worked like a charm. While I personally am not too worried about Poly counts when it comes to first off basic modding, is it really necessary to convert the model? Are they no longer using v3o?

The issue I am having, and I believe the one that Thomas is having as well, is not having the files in the correct location. Either you need to tell the editor where to find the files on your hard drive, or you need to put them in the right place.

As far as I can tell... C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Emergency 5\data\em5 is the equivalent of the base game in emergency 4. QSF has something to do with the editor and is either the editor itself or is the "mod" that is loaded by default. So I think that if you want to make a new mod this will appear in the Emergency 5\data folder under what ever name you specify. 

Also I believe that the "create new project" button is not working, first of all it says "TODO" beside it, and it just doesn't do anything aside from give you an error. Also I don't know how to change between mods in the editor. 

I think we will be waiting for the team at sixteen tons to update the editor to get all the functions working before we can do any actual modding. :(