CCCXLII

10 Things Every LA Mod Player Should Know

Got any questions, comments, critiques, or just want to say you enjoyed the list? Feel free to post on this topic!

#10 Watch, Don't Run.

LA Mod adds a Patrol ability to certain vehicles in the game, allowing them to automatically navigate through one of three pre-set routes on the map. This is incredibly useful because a vehicle on the street can usually respond a lot faster than a vehicle in the station. However, this feature is oft overused, slowing traffic from the massive presence of patrolling vehicles, and sometimes causing the patrolling vehicles to 'bunch up' on one side of the map.

The solution is simple: keep your cars 'on the streets', but don't let them roam. The Paramedic Captain, Battalion Chief, and most police officers have the ability to Call vehicles, 'calling' the closest vehicle from the station (in which case it will automatically staff it), a patrol, on Standby, or even off the map (even buying a new one if necessary). Most vehicles have the Standby ability, allowing stopped vehicles outside a station to be called. By placing your vehicles in parking lots, alleys, and street corners, you'll be able to take full advantage of the Call and Standby abilities, while also benefiting from increased response times, and all without added strain to the traffic.

We'll get back to the Call ability at the number one thing every LA Mod Player should know.

#9 Left Shift-click!

If you hold left Shift when right-clicking to move a vehicle, it will move to that location without activating its sirens and lights. This helps when positioning your vehicles around the map because when checking on your vehicles, you might be confused by the flashing lights and assume that a vehicle is enroute to a scene, or got left behind from an earlier one, wasting valuable time that should be spent focusing on other tasks.

#8 Calling All Cars!

Now that you're positioning your cars like a pro, you're undoubtedly finding yourself in the same dilemma that I did. You don't know who to send where! Sure, it might seem simple enough, just send a bunch of LAPD Patrolcars in random directions. But let me tell you, when several patrolcars respond to the same call, and its time to send them back, you'll be wasting crucial seconds checking around the map, figuring out which spots are open, and deciding who should go where.

The trick is to use more than your basic vehicles. Don't just send out LAPD cars, but also CHP, LAPP, and so on, and send these to appropriate places. This way, when you're sending vehicles back after a call, you'll know exactly where to send certain vehicles. For example, if you see your LAPP (Los Angeles Port Patrol) vehicle sitting out, you know that it should be sent back to the port. Don't forget that this can also be done for other departments, with vehicles such as the LAX Ambulance and USFS Engine.

Here's a personal example: I like to park Brush Patrol and a CHP Dodge Charger at Randy's Donuts, with a LAPD Motorcycle in the park itself, and finally a USFS Utility Truck in the parking lot next to the apartmens on the bottom left of the map, where it can enter into the park through the gate.

#7 EMS Supervisor's Car, Your Para-Paramedic!

My second favorite car in the whole game is the EMS Supervisor's Car, and its actually one of the first vehicles I purchase at the start of each freeplay game. Why? Well, it carries twice as many paramedics as an ambulance, moves just as fast as an ambulance, and is small and agile enough to fit through tight spaces. It's basically the Red Cross Hummer, but cheaper and better in almost every way.

At the beginning of each freeplay game, I load up this awesome unit with paramedics and place it at Fire station 2, where it works in tandem with the BLS Ambulance. Whenever there's a medical emergency on that side of the map, the EMS Supervisor's Car goes first and takes care of any casualties, with the BLS Ambulance transporting. I also send the EMS Supervisor's Car to police officers after they're involved in a shooting/fight/what have you, healing them quickly so they can go back on duty.

#6 The Vintage Ambulance, an Oldie but a Goodie.

Strained for credits? Your starting four ambulances aren't enough to go around? Can't justify sending the Mass Casualty Unit? Well, before you deploy your extra ALS Ambulances, you might want to consider the Vintage Ambulance. You start with two free ones, they're staffed with the same personnel as an ALS, they have the same equipment as an ALS (sans floodlights), goes just as fast, and they're quite a bit cheaper to deploy!

Of course, if all you need is transport and if you already have enough paramedics on scene, you should probably go with a few BLS Ambulances instead, which are even cheaper to deploy.

#5 3 is better than 1!

When deploying an ALS Ambulance to a scene, the Paramedics carrying the stretcher can treat a casualty at the same time as the third Paramedic (just use the Heal ability). This results in the casualty being healed at least two or three times as fast as normal, which is excellent for when you need to get the ambulance on its way!

#4 Fire Extinguishers, and Why They're Awesome.

Chances are though, you haven't been using them. Despite the fact that there are 40 vehicles equipped with fire extinguishers, 17 different personnel that can use them, and that it only really takes two to put out a small fire. The next time you have personnel standing around a fire with nothing to do, give them all a fire extinguisher and have them put it out. I personally route at least one patrolcar to all vehicle and small fires.

#3 LAFD Brush Patrol (and USFS), The Game Winner.

Got a tight space with a fire? Maybe something too small for a Fire Engine, but too big for a patrolcar and its fire extinguishers to handle? Send in Brush Patrol, the best vehicle in the whole game!

Brush Patrol goes where your Fire Engines won't, and faster too! Carrying two FF/EMTs, a myriad of tools, and a single hose connection (which can be split with a gated wye), Brush Patrol is all you need to put out trouble fires BEFORE they become a problem. Oh, and did I mention it can tow the LAFD Equipment Trailer?

USFS and Brush Patrol go hand-in-hand. If two hoses isn't enough for you, try sending in the USFS Engine, which has its own hose connections, and can also fit into tight spaces. Even the USFS Utility Truck can make a good quick attack vehicle.

#2 SAR Dog Vehicle, The Life Saver.

Lives are on the line, and there's no time to waste: you get the call for a medical emergency, but can't seem to find the casualty; or you pack up after a scene and send everyone home, only to realize that a casualty has been left behind. Don't let this happen to you, send Search and Rescue!

When the SAR Dog Leader gets out of his car, he'll head to the pack and take the SAR dog out of the back. With the press of a button, this dog can be unleashed, automatically searching the area for casualties that aren't being treated and constantly barks when it finds them. I personally like to send the SAR Dog Vehicle after any particularly hectic scene, where it would be easy for a casualty to go unnoticed. Yes, the map does display an icon on itself whenever there's a casualty, but it's amazing what you can miss when you're dealing with multiple emergencies at the same time.

#1 Battalion Chief, Your Dispatch.

Now I'm going to drop a bombshell on you: you've been playing the game wrong. Completely, 100% wrong. Why? Because you haven't been using your Battalion Chief right, that's why! So wrong in-fact, that you'll probably laugh at yourself after reading this! Follow these simple instructions:

At the start of every freeplay game you should get a free Battalion Chief Vehicle and with it, a Battalion Chief. Select the Battalion Chief as he's running to his car, move him out of the pathway of any vehicles, and assign him to a group so you can select him at any time (I like to assign him to 1, by using ctrl-1). BAM! Just like that, you can use the Battalion Chief's Call ability to call in any of the basic vehicles, anywhere on the map, and at any time. Gone are the days of clicking on the map to get to the station, selecting a vehicle, and then sending it to the scene. I just saved you loads of time.

• Upvote 1

#1 Battalion Chief, Your Dispatch.

Now I'm going to drop a bombshell on you: you've been playing the game wrong. Completely, 100% wrong. Why? Because you haven't been using your Battalion Chief right, that's why! So wrong in-fact, that you'll probably laugh at yourself after reading this! Follow these simple instructions:

At the start of every freeplay game you should get a free Battalion Chief Vehicle and with it, a Battalion Chief. Select the Battalion Chief as he's running to his car, move him out of the pathway of any vehicles, and assign him to a group so you can select him at any time (I like to assign him to 1, by using ctrl-1). BAM! Just like that, you can use the Battalion Chief's Call ability to call in any of the basic vehicles, anywhere on the map, and at any time. Gone are the days of clicking on the map to get to the station, selecting a vehicle, and then sending it to the scene. I just saved you loads of time.

The fact that no one uses this in any gameplay videos of LA mod on YT, is disturbing. By far the best feature in LA mod.

Yeah. The fact that the batallion chief script is one of the largest scripts in the LA Mod says that Hoppah really put a lot of work into making it and its such a shame very few people use it.

Maybe if there were an on map dispatcher that could call units, then maybe more people would have bothered using it.

I personally never used the automatic call command until I decided to place a batallion chief unit on the map and assigned it to the shortcut key #1.

• Upvote 1

I've got 4402 lines dedicated to call scripts (797 to BLS Engines alone), and that's not counting even police units. All units on map can be called if available (from standby, patrol, or even returning to station/HQ). All units in-game are able to be called if no map units are available, in order of proximity to the area, being limited to one of each unique unit (Fire/EMS only). I also set up commands for the station panels to dispatch units from there without the need for a person at all.

Needless to say, I've always relied on the call scripts and put some effort into expanding and refining them in my mod version.

• Like 1

I've got 4402 lines dedicated to call scripts (797 to BLS Engines alone), and that's not counting even police units. All units on map can be called if available (from standby, patrol, or even returning to station/HQ). All units in-game are able to be called if no map units are available, in order of proximity to the area, being limited to one of each unique unit (Fire/EMS only). I also set up commands for the station panels to dispatch units from there without the need for a person at all.

Needless to say, I've always relied on the call scripts and put some effort into expanding and refining them in my mod version.

I have a similar set up to my LA Mod, but I kept the vehicles unlimited. A batallion chief and paramedic are spawned at every station via script at the start of the game.

I probably have a call script for most commonly called vehicles. Other special vehicles like the LRA, HES, SWR, rescue crane and the US Government vehicles are still called from the units menu though. We should collaborate on making a Winterberg style dispatch for LA Mod soon.

Found some stuff out I never knew before.

Thanks man!

Your not the only one! Lol

The fact that no one uses this in any gameplay videos of LA mod on YT, is disturbing. By far the best feature in LA mod.

I use the EMS captain and Battalion chief to call in other units... I'm just lazy considering I have more time to deal with incidents lol

Thanks for the great read CCCXLII! I didn't know about some of that :O

We should collaborate on making a Winterberg style dispatch for LA Mod soon.

That would be awesome! I'm currently doing that for my future modifications, it's a pain in the ass, but it's worth it. Not to mention the custom alarm sounds for each unit and being able to call multiple units at once: I love that stuff.

Glad to hear everyone's enjoying the list! I'm actually working on another one called "10 More Things Every LA Mod Player Should Know"!

Here's something new I discovered about the Vintage Ambulance: if you take out the FF/Paramedic that comes with it, leaving only the Stretcher Team/Paramedic when you deploy, it's 70~ credits cheaper than a BLS Ambulance. So really, the Vintage Ambulance is awesome for everything xD

PROS:

- Paramedics.

- Same stats as an ALS Ambulance, including the same equipment.

- Cheaper than a BLS Ambulance (with the removal of one paramedic).

- You start out with a couple.

CONS

- It doesn't have floodlights.

It makes the roleplayer inside of me cringe when I use it.

When I have played I always get 2 more battalion cheifs and place one at the substation and the other on the east side of the map. I also pair them with a firefighter/paramedic for medical calls.

That's an awesome idea, but I would replace or supplement the Battalion Chiefs with EMS Paramedic Captains. Here's why:

1) The EMS Paramedic Captain not only has all the same abilities as the Battalion Chief, but he can also use an EMT Bag and heal people.

2) The EMS Supervisor's Car is much cheaper than the LAFD Battalion Chief Vehicle.

3) The EMS Supervisor's Car can hold more personnel, and can thus hold way more FF/Paramedics.

you've been playing the game wrong. Completely, 100% wrong. Why? Because you haven't been using your Battalion Chief right, that's why! So wrong in-fact, that you'll probably laugh at yourself after reading this!

No I have not :) Completely, 100% wrong :laugh: I have been using BatCheef dispatching since it has appeared in LAmod. :P
And yes, I definetely laugh at your assumptions :D

This is a great list, it's just a shame I don't really play the LA mod much anymore but when I play it again some of these will definitely help, I did not know the #9 feature was even in this mod, I know it is in Montana mod 2.0 but I did not realise it was in the LA mod aswell, I can't wait to see your updated list. :D

Thanks for the info I have been playing this sort of wrong then, never even knew about that feature I'll try it out soon. Thanks! For realistic the better!