[REL] Ocean City Modification

Got a thumbs up for me :D I love the edits you have done to the map aswell as the lights on the vehicles. Also was that the hydrant unlock script from the Montana mod? Just adds abit more realism.

yes it was. Itchboy the Great, gave me permission to use it so I did.

Sweet! I'm definitely liking how the mod is coming along, what else can we expect to be added? (other then the things you have already mentioned lol).

Well, I am waiting for a few models from THVFD, now mid-mount and possibly a Sutphen Engine. Script wise, I am not to sure at this point.

Very nice! I don't think a Sutphen engine has been used before in a mod. That's fair enough. Like I said looks great so far.

To my knowledge there are no stuphen models out there unfortunately time is getting tight

sent from my samsung galaxy s4 mini

Due to recent events on the forum, I will give my own personal take on using stuff from someone elses mod.

I feel that lately, people that have been creating mods have been going around and just ripping stuff from peoples mods without asking. My big thing is please ask before you take, not after you took it and already showcased it everywhere, especially without giving credit!

Usage rights
Permission is required to use any content from the Ocean City Modification. This includes:

- Vehicle Models(I edited majority of them to my liking)

- Vehicle Skins

- Vehicle Lights

- Ped Skins

- Station, siren, and engine scripts

- Mission scripts

- Vehicle Sirens

Ask before you take, not before you release. If you take something without asking and start posting pictures, I reserve the right to revoke your permission to use that vehicle or other content from you're modification.

Time for a staffer to step in on the above mentioned issue.  People have been doing exactly what you claim they have, this is true to be certain, but at the same time *most* "new" mods out there currently are nothing more than reskin/relight projects with slight changes from existing mods (most for example use the LA mod for their base-framework).  For example "kitbashing" (taking model A from one mod, and putting it with model B from another mod and calling it a "new" vehicle), Reskinning existing units and claiming they are new, changing lightbars, etc.  

Because of this it has become very sporadic for the "chain of ownership" to be retained, the parties that are initially altering the original mod are just as guilty in most cases as the end-offenders in not accurately compiling/maintaining credits/rights regarding everything they've used for their mods.  This issue must as a community be addressed in order to retain any sort of reputation as a legitimate modding community.

The problem with your permission requirements is quite a large one, you did not create the original content used within your mod in it's entirety, so you cannot restrict usership of things that are open for use without explicitly listing the things you've changed that are forbidden to be used from within this mod, all other items must be credited just the same as you want people to provide you with such courtesy.  IF for example you've taken someone else's model from another mod and have reskinned it only, then you have a right to restrict usership of the skin, but if the original model was available for anyone to use, then any user may use that model just the same as you were able to, with all corresponding original author restrictions applied.  Such is why modders in this community MUST be more aware of the fact that others may have contributed to a work and you SHOULD be aware of who these person(s) are prior to using something! This falls onto the mod developers to populate a readme/document with all pertaining credits and restrictions related to content in which they've used so that people are aware when using "your" mod who really did what and which individuals must be contacted specifically regarding content someone wishes to use.

Just because something is in your mod does not give you rights over the item in it's entirety, if you reskinned it, you have rights over the skin alteration, if you altered the model significantly then you may retain rights over the model, (for example most people are just taking existing lightbars from one mod and putting them onto another mod's vehicles,  so really the original authors of both the lightbar and the model base should be credited FIRST, then the alteration modder should get credit for putting them together).  Without these successive "chains" of permissions properly documented, you have a steep battle for justifying your "rights" over an article released, if you are unwilling/unable to complete this chain of documentation, then how is it fair to expect people to obey your permission/credit conditions, when you opted to not show the same courtesy to those who you've used content from?  

Either everyone as a community needs to get better in this respect, or people should cease using other's content all together, if users are unwilling or unable to give other's credit where it's due then it is not reasonable to believe you should have that extended courtesy for yourself.  This post is not directed at this author or topic specifically, but as a community-wide advisement because this statement had to be made, and the community as a whole needs to reflect upon it and alter their conduct as required in order to maintain a reputable community..  The alternative is that people will cease to let users use their content and the community as a whole will suffer as a result of people being unprofessional about how they conduct themselves with other's works (remember someone put in the time to make the items that you've had the benefit of, they deserve their credit where it's due).  Personally I do not feel it is much to ask for proper permissions/credit chains to be maintained within this community, particularly from users who believe they should have credit/permission rights themselves, if modders won't take the step to be courteous to those who made the content they've used, they have no right to be upset when the same occurs to them.

Time for a staffer to step in on the above mentioned issue. People have been doing exactly what you claim they have, this is true to be certain, but at the same time *most* "new" mods out there currently are nothing more than reskin/relight projects with slight changes from existing mods (most for example use the LA mod for their base-framework). For example "kitbashing" (taking model A from one mod, and putting it with model B from another mod and calling it a "new" vehicle), Reskinning existing units and claiming they are new, changing lightbars, etc.

Because of this it has become very sporadic for the "chain of ownership" to be retained, the parties that are initially altering the original mod are just as guilty in most cases as the end-offenders in not accurately compiling/maintaining credits/rights regarding everything they've used for their mods. This issue must as a community be addressed in order to retain any sort of reputation as a legitimate modding community.

The problem with your permission requirements is quite a large one, you did not create the original content used within your mod in it's entirety, so you cannot restrict usership of things that are open for use without explicitly listing the things you've changed that are forbidden to be used from within this mod, all other items must be credited just the same as you want people to provide you with such courtesy. IF for example you've taken someone else's model from another mod and have reskinned it only, then you have a right to restrict usership of the skin, but if the original model was available for anyone to use, then any user may use that model just the same as you were able to, with all corresponding original author restrictions applied. Such is why modders in this community MUST be more aware of the fact that others may have contributed to a work and you SHOULD be aware of who these person(s) are prior to using something! This falls onto the mod developers to populate a readme/document with all pertaining credits and restrictions related to content in which they've used so that people are aware when using "your" mod who really did what and which individuals must be contacted specifically regarding content someone wishes to use.

Just because something is in your mod does not give you rights over the item in it's entirety, if you reskinned it, you have rights over the skin alteration, if you altered the model significantly then you may retain rights over the model, (for example most people are just taking existing lightbars from one mod and putting them onto another mod's vehicles, so really the original authors of both the lightbar and the model base should be credited FIRST, then the alteration modder should get credit for putting them together). Without these successive "chains" of permissions properly documented, you have a steep battle for justifying your "rights" over an article released, if you are unwilling/unable to complete this chain of documentation, then how is it fair to expect people to obey your permission/credit conditions, when you opted to not show the same courtesy to those who you've used content from?

Either everyone as a community needs to get better in this respect, or people should cease using other's content all together, if users are unwilling or unable to give other's credit where it's due then it is not reasonable to believe you should have that extended courtesy for yourself. This post is not directed at this author or topic specifically, but as a community-wide advisement because this statement had to be made, and the community as a whole needs to reflect upon it and alter their conduct as required in order to maintain a reputable community.. The alternative is that people will cease to let users use their content and the community as a whole will suffer as a result of people being unprofessional about how they conduct themselves with other's works (remember someone put in the time to make the items that you've had the benefit of, they deserve their credit where it's due). Personally I do not feel it is much to ask for proper permissions/credit chains to be maintained within this community, particularly from users who believe they should have credit/permission rights themselves, if modders won't take the step to be courteous to those who made the content they've used, they have no right to be upset when the same occurs to them.

I get what you're saying but the things I have made restrictions on, are things that I have altered to the point where they are different from the original authors content. Things I have not altered from the original author are free to take because simply, its not my work. I understand that part.

I just trying to save my ass when it comes to the work I did.

The sad part is, a few particular people in this community is why I made that decision, and I feel bad about it, but it had to be done.

As I stated the post was not specifically directed at you as an individual, but at the community as a whole, unless proper "chain of authorship" is maintained in each and every mod that uses other's works it is unreasonable to expect any different for themselves when they've failed to do the same thing to the authors which made the content they've used as a base.  Personally I don't see what is so hard about asking for permission and documenting the specific authors of each and every piece of content used within a mod (along with any restrictions/credit caveats that individual may have).  The time spent writing the documentation about a mod is by far less than if people had to create the content they've used themselves.  People should think about that when they feel that they should not take the time to figure out who actually made what that they've used (for whatever excuse they come up with as to why they did not take that time to gain permission/usage credit restrictions), especially if they feel that they deserve to be credited themselves for what they've done.

As I stated the post was not specifically directed at you as an individual, but at the community as a whole, unless proper "chain of authorship" is maintained in each and every mod that uses other's works it is unreasonable to expect any different for themselves when they've failed to do the same thing to the authors which made the content they've used as a base. Personally I don't see what is so hard about asking for permission and documenting the specific authors of each and every piece of content used within a mod (along with any restrictions/credit caveats that individual may have). The time spent writing the documentation about a mod is by far less than if people had to create the content they've used themselves. People should think about that when they feel that they should not take the time to figure out who actually made what that they've used (for whatever excuse they come up with as to why they did not take that time to gain permission/usage credit restrictions), especially if they feel that they deserve to be credited themselves for what they've done.

I agree. I do have a full list of credits contained within the mod. I myself tried my very best to give people the credit they deserve. If I forgot someone or mixed someone up, that's my bad, it happens.

I did what I could, I feel its time for a few others to step up to the plate and make credit lists and simply ask before you take things from people's mods. That was the whole point of this post.

Mentor has oked the showing of the model this is what i have done so far working on making the texture as we speak hope you all like

Note: the model is not 100% accurate because i did not want it 100% accurate just enough to give it that stuphen look

bandicam%202015-02-24%2017-22-40-162_zps

Also, if everything goes as planned, I will release the mod at 12am, Friday the 13th.(hopefully without issue, but it is Friday the 13th so....)

Are you crazy... Announcing it will jinx it ;) lol jk good luck, looking forward to playing the mod and THVFD the ladder looks good, its nice to see a new model being made.

Are you crazy... Announcing it will jinx it ;) lol jk good luck, looking forward to playing the mod and THVFD the ladder looks good, its nice to see a new model being made.

But jinxing it on a Friday the 13th is a double jinx, and will then turn into good luck... or something.

Got some bad news. The mod will not be up today. Everything is done, but by the time I got the rest of the files last night, I was already sleeping. I also won't be home until late tonight.

Keep an eye out tomorrow afternoon for it.