nbrown8568

Unit Folder .dds Images

After a certain size it is actually beneficial to switch texture formats. I found that for High-Res texture files, saving the texture as a PNG saved more space than leaving it as a .dds. To save even more space, the texture can be output as a .jpeg.

2048x2048 texture (which is waaay overkill for EM4) was about 3MB in .dds format, but only 1.8MB in .png

If you do change from dds to another format you need to open the .v3o file and edit it to reflect the new format.

Here is an example; the generic big.dds from Hoppah's tutorial is 16.1 KB's. The big.dds file for 110lapdsuv is also 16.1 KB's.

I can open some dds files in Nero Photosnap Viewer, this comes with the Nero Burning Software. I then convert it usually to a png

file. I then open it in GIMP and cut and paste from a FRAPS screenshot from the EM4 Editor. I then use Nero Photosnap Viewer to

convert it back to a dds file. After doing this for my Baltimore County Suburban the big.dds file is now 14.4 KB's. If I use the blank

big.dds file from Hoppah's tutorial it will show up ingame as the blue with white grid lines without the vehicle. If I use the edited file with my

BCoPD Suburban, it will show up ingame as a white spot. I tried to upload the dds file (before and after editing), but that format

is not allowed.

Norm,

Edited by nbrown8568

Paint.Net works fine for me. Maybe its the format.

Most unit images use DXT3. DXT1 makes all transparent colors white or black. DXT5 is the best quality but biggest file size.

You would want DXT3 because the unit images and command icons are semi transparent.

My guess you lost the alpha channels and that messed things up

All of that has went over my head lol. :nixweiss:   I can only cut and paste, Maybe someone can do a tutorial on it.

Norm,