Alexander Brown

Screen Flickering

I have been running Emergency 4 fine on my PC for a few weeks without trouble. However it has started having an issue with the screen. When I load the game I only can see the bottom left corner of the menu (as if the resolution is too big for my screen). The game is also flickering. This issue seemed to have started after I had my computer connected to an external display via HDMI. Note: everything else on my computer is completely normal.

I have tried re-installing the game, editing the games config file, re-installing Windows, changing my screen resolution all with no luck.

The only thing that sort of works is if I plug my computer into an external display -- when I do this I can see other parts of the game. This makes me believe the issue I'm having has something to do with resolution. 

Has anybody had a similar situation? Any ideas?

Thanks

- Alex.

Welcome to the forum.

Can you post a dxdiag and logfile please.

The dxdiag will tell us the resolution of your monitor etc. and the logfile will tell us what resolution the game is trying to run at.

I would guess that the solution would involve editing the config file for the game, I assume you know how to do this since you mention having already done this? You need to find the resolution of whatever screen you are playing the game on, and edit the em4.cfg to reflect these values.

Welcome to the forum.

Can you post a dxdiag and logfile please.

The dxdiag will tell us the resolution of your monitor etc. and the logfile will tell us what resolution the game is trying to run at.

I would guess that the solution would involve editing the config file for the game, I assume you know how to do this since you mention having already done this? You need to find the resolution of whatever screen you are playing the game on, and edit the em4.cfg to reflect these values.

Hi, thanks for your reply. My screen resolution is 2880 by 1800. I have tried editing the config file to the same (and also tried different resolutions for both my screen and the game) however my config file does not seem to change the game at all, editing the config file seems to have no effect on the game. 

Update: I have just fixed the flickering by updating my GPU drivers. I still have the issue with the game only showing the bottom left corner. When I plug my HDMI tv into the PC I am able to change the game resolution to 800x600 but when I unplug the tv and run the game on my PC I still have the issue.

Does the config file let you save the edits? If not, move the file to the desktop and then edit it. Once edited move it back and see if that keeps the changes.

When connected to the TV, are you still connected to the PC monitor? Are you running 2 screens at once?

Does the config file let you save the edits? If not, move the file to the desktop and then edit it. Once edited move it back and see if that keeps the changes.

When connected to the TV, are you still connected to the PC monitor? Are you running 2 screens at once?

Yes, the config file does let me save the edits. Once I go back into the config file my edits are there. 

Yes, when connected to the TV I am running two screens at once.