bama1234

How to avoid crash on new freeplay map

I've never done a built-from-scratch freeplay map until now, and I'm having some trouble. I adjusted most of the parameters in Map Properties, including boundaries, starting cam position, etc. I threw in a Path and a Street to test a road out. I have no VOs or triggers or anything else added yet.

So I saved the new map over the old freeplay map (so its now replaced freeplay.e4m), but I get a crash to desktop when I load it in-game.

This was built on the LA mod foundation so it has all those scripts and what not... Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to transfer over from the old LA mod freeplay map to my new map, at the very least, in order to just get it into a testing phase?

Thanks.

Can you send over your logfile?

Most likely issue is probably something to do with fp_freeplay.script in the mission script files. I would recommend disabling it to narrow down the cause of your problem.

Something that has happened to me before was corruption of freeplay_endless.xml. Has that been changed?

Can you send over your logfile?

Most likely issue is probably something to do with fp_freeplay.script in the mission script files. I would recommend disabling it to narrow down the cause of your problem.

Something that has happened to me before was corruption of freeplay_endless.xml. Has that been changed?

Logfile: https://mega.co.nz/#!qtowBahR!QmzwAA0L7dN6f9j7VLMq-jqxbCZQbAKNWz5bS-E-Kn4

None of the parameter .xmls have been changed except for freeplaybase to add new units

Logfile: https://mega.co.nz/#!qtowBahR!QmzwAA0L7dN6f9j7VLMq-jqxbCZQbAKNWz5bS-E-Kn4

None of the parameter .xmls have been changed except for freeplaybase to add new units

Perhaps the freeplaybase.xml is to blame.

Regarding the mission scripts, that could be the cause as well. Perhaps it is something that needs to be transferred from the LA Map into the Montana map.

Perhaps the freeplaybase.xml is to blame.

Regarding the mission scripts, that could be the cause as well. Perhaps it is something that needs to be transferred from the LA Map into the Montana map.

There's so many potential links, I don't know where to begin. I may just create a completely new "mod" folder and move things over one by one.

I guess that would be your best course of action.

A little warning though....sometimes EM4 editor can corrupt map files, so be sure to back it up often.

I fixed the issue partly. The files causing the problem were the ones you mentioned, I believe. But from here I should be able to get it done.

And don't worry, I've got a backup scheduled to run every night to an external hdd :cool:

I fixed the issue partly. The files causing the problem were the ones you mentioned, I believe. But from here I should be able to get it done.

And don't worry, I've got a backup scheduled to run every night to an external hdd :cool:

Could you elaborate on what you mean by partly? Are you able to get ingame?

What did you do specifically? This information could help other modders experienceing the same issues.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by partly? Are you able to get ingame?

What did you do specifically? This information could help other modders experienceing the same issues.

I removed the fp_challenge and fp_freeplay files from Scripts > Mission until I get everything else ironed out, and that allows me to play the map ingame

Bump, new issue - map is crashing to desktop again when loaded in-game...only things I changed was adding a few new streets and editing a path. Getting this at the end of the logfile: "!WARNING: global listener object is still registered! Unregister listener before destroying object!"

Anyone know what that means?

I can't find how I fixed my error, sorry mate. You didn't change anything in the scripts or something like that? I don't do much with models etc. so mine was definitely caused by a script, that's for sure.

He said that he had already done that in post #9.

Thanks you for giving your opinion on this.

I've narrowed down the problem location.. it's inside Scripts somewhere. So it must be a script. But it cant be the freeplay scripts, because I threw them out for now. I'm still baffled, because I didn't change any scripts...

Did you remove the LA firestation/pd scripts as well? the global listener bla bla bla is a common CTD notification, it in of it's self doesnt really tell ya much other than that it did not shut down correctly, usually (if you're lucky) when it locks up/crashes you can alt-tab and see the script error pop-up running behind the game, but sometimes it doesnt give them unfortunately... The way that I recommend going about these things is to slowly incrementally add things to a mod so that the process of elimination is minimized about guessing the error... For you to be CTD'd all the sudden with just a few paths added doesnt really make sense to me, my question is the new vehicles added, are they bein spawned at the start-up of the map now?  One of them probably has a command hooked to it that the game doesnt like right now, thus causing your problem.... For testing a new map you do better to remove the startup scripts that are required for a finished map and add the systems back in one by one rather than assuming that it is right off the bat... The script can be fine but the map can be missing a VO or an object that is paired to it to make it run causing your CTDs. 

Did you remove the LA firestation/pd scripts as well? the global listener bla bla bla is a common CTD notification, it in of it's self doesnt really tell ya much other than that it did not shut down correctly, usually (if you're lucky) when it locks up/crashes you can alt-tab and see the script error pop-up running behind the game, but sometimes it doesnt give them unfortunately... The way that I recommend going about these things is to slowly incrementally add things to a mod so that the process of elimination is minimized about guessing the error... For you to be CTD'd all the sudden with just a few paths added doesnt really make sense to me, my question is the new vehicles added, are they bein spawned at the start-up of the map now?  One of them probably has a command hooked to it that the game doesnt like right now, thus causing your problem.... For testing a new map you do better to remove the startup scripts that are required for a finished map and add the systems back in one by one rather than assuming that it is right off the bat... The script can be fine but the map can be missing a VO or an object that is paired to it to make it run causing your CTDs. 

I had managed to run the map fine with all the command scripts still there, the initial CTD was fixed by removing the fp_parameters file... Between that and the current CTD situation, the only things changed were those paths and streets. It doesn't make any sense to me either. But I'm doing like you said, and adding things one by one to try to figure out what exactly is causing it