timmiej93

Converting an open house to a "Fire Station"

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to add a tech station to my map with some flatbeds and an engineers van etc.

The scripting in this no problem, I've got that covered myself. The actual problem lies with the model.

Now I've found a nice garage that is already included in the mod, and which is an open house, so it's accessible. Now there are a few things I could use some advice / help on:

Making the roof visibility toggle-able.

I know this should be possible, because the roof gets toggled when a person enters or leaves the building too, I just haven't figured out how yet, but I'm afraid that's hardcoded into the game, so I'd have to figure out something else.

Making the gates open. 

Now this one is a bit trickier. The building has gates, but they're just a solid part of the walls. The best option to get minimal work gates into them would be changing the color of the FS gates, and placing those into the wall, which would have to be cut out.

Now like I said, the scripting is no problem, I'll get through that, but the modeling is almost impossible for me, especially since the mod files don't include a 3D model, but just a prototype (or something) as far as I know. 

So any tips or advice would be a great help :).

Tim

PS. For those interested: The building I'm referring to is the Tirewarehouse 01 (M02) from the LAmod.

That is a default building that was included in the original game, you can find the model files in your original game folders, copy it from there and put it into your mod folder to modify it.

To make it work in all the other aspects, see an existing fire station for reference in how they are setup/scripted.

The scripting isn't the problem, that's quite easy, but changing the model is harder, because I don't know what programs to use for editing those. Is the model stored in a 3vo format? I've tried opening it, but I haven't found a program that opens it yet.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the difference. There's 2 types of open structures in EM4:

- the default 'open house' type in EM4. A more hardcoded functionality specifically used for persons to enter.

- custom 'open houses' controlled via scripts.

You're trying to convert a hardcoded 'open house' into the custom one. At least, thats what you want if u want to be able to park vehicles inside. You need to make sure there's a seperate model for the walls, a seperate model for the roof that can disappear and the garage doors need to be seperate models too. Just like the custom 'open houses'. So what you're going to need to do is altering the original models, so you have those seperate files and make new prototype files for them.

Well, I believe there are separate models for the walls, floor and roof, but I'm not sure, because I haven't been able to open those files, since I don't have a program for it. I don't even know what program would be able to open those files, that's the biggest problem.

Oh I just saw Mikey's post. I've tried zmodeler2, but that said the free program wasn't able to import 3vo files because it was the free version

Zmod 2 is not a free program, in order to import or export it must be the full version of it.  Really in order to successfully mod this game you either have to have someone import/export for you or even better be able to do it yourself.  Without z2 it is very difficult to produce a mod with new/altered models.