MikeyPI

Site Change:

Who likes this idea of a change.  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the options regarding this change:

• No, Return things as they were previously.
    • Yes, I like this idea keep it as it currently is.
    • I like this idea but it is a bit confusing to me.
    • No, something needs to change but this option is not the answer.

I have added a new forum category for modifications that are Works in progress/conceptual and have not made progress, as of this date any modification that is starting up will post there, the mods topic is now locked for creating new topics there and will require moderation approval to transfer a modification to that location.  Anyone currently within the mods section will remain unaffected, however future mods will have to be created in the new forum category and subsequently moved when their progress reaches an appropriate level.

Hopefully this will make things easier as far as organization goes, keeping current mods and developing mods from being cluttered by theoretical mods and mods that are not progressing.

What is seen as an appropriate level exactly? Does it just go with what a moderator sees as appropriate?

Basically (Mikey correct me if I'm wrong) in order to get moved to the Mods section you just have to have proof you've actually put work into the mod and it's made progress

Basically the mod will require being more than here's 2-3 units that have been reskinned but we plan to do 200 more... When a mod looks like it is showing promise for an actual release it will get moved, like it is fairly close to playable within the basic original game.  The goal is to prevent the mods section ending up with so many mods that will never see a release, hopefully permitting users to not get their hopes up for so many mods that just stall out.. Obviously some mods will still stall out due to outside circumstances but if we can avoid having for example the 2-3 police car reskins ending up as a mod too early when the authors know they don't have the required fire apparatus to make a functional mod (nor the skills to make them happen) it will hopefully make for less looking forward to things without a likelihood of a release.

Maybe send Private mods there too? (Just look at a description of Mods section)

Every new mod (private or otherwise) topic has to start in the Development and Concepts section. If you're referring to the private mods already in the Mods section, they can stay where they are. It would take far too much time to go through and sort all the topics in that section of the forum.

Every new mod (private or otherwise) topic has to start in the Development and Concepts section. If you're referring to the private mods already in the Mods section, they can stay where they are. It would take far too much time to go through and sort all the topics in that section of the forum.

I understand it's a lot of work, so I'm not necessarily condoning cleaning it out, but it's true there are a lot of dead and private threads in Mods.

I understand it's a lot of work, so I'm not necessarily condoning cleaning it out, but it's true there are a lot of dead and private threads in Mods.

Moving all exististing threads to dev, and moving the few released mods in to released would be an easy way to do it all.

If people abide by natural selection, active developed mods that are actually in progress will push to the front of the pages, dead/inactive mods will fall to the wayside and further down, when they resurface and are clearly dead we just close them for what they are... Then they fall the wayside again, why change what ain't broke?

As to the theory it is easy to move things... If you follow every topic and know who's done what perhaps it's easy to know who's active mods are released and whos aint... Most of us don't do that so Idk who all's things are released and whos are not.. IF everyone was kind enough to put all pertinent info in the first post of a topic including download links then it would be pretty easy but even still we'd have to verify the download links work and all that sort of thing, that is a bit above and beyond our job title since simply put alotta things are hosted off-site it isnt as easy to prune topics for released/not.. Now I could very easy go by date of active posts or something of that sort but why bother? In there are some released but inactive mods that someone made some time ago but no longer bother to update, thus their topics fall down in the ranks, not much I can do about that one but if I pruned the topics they'd end up in WIP even though they werent...

To me worrying about clean-up is better served when someone is really really bored and wants to vet through the mess, if people went over to the courtesy of using the first post for the basic info of the mod/download links it would make it alot easier to refer people there IF they are indeed released.  As time goes on natural selection will bump the not so useful topics out of line and imo that is a suitable trend for now... I don't see a value in overdoing it, this concept is more to help in the future, not change the past.

Ahh, got you.

I may be wrong but can that not already be done? When you upload a file, in the second section that says add screenshots, can you not click on the image that you want to show as the preview thumbnail? It says something like "click to set main image".

Always worked for me just randomly choosing