Stan

News: Emergency 5 Editor Event (With pictures!)

I am just hopping for limit water function building in, with the ability to hook to hydrants or a tanker type vechile and multiply player observer slots.

One would hope they would include a method/converter to put models into the new game, otherwise it will frustrate a great deal of modders, myself included.  IF the things we've done already are lost to the times and we have to get a whole new app/process to create the content, it will come down to a time-vs-reward deal for alot of us.  Most of us simply don't have the time or energy to learn a whole new program just to be able to continue this series.

You have to factor in the fact that technology has changed a lot in six years. Besides it would give us an opportunity to come up with new Ideas.  

If you have the raw files of your model or if you can convert your v3o file into any other format, you'll be able to import it to the EMERGENCY 5 editor. It's no big deal, you'll only have to convert it into MESH.

But there is a much bigger problem: The average polygon count of EMERGENCY 5 models is higher than the polygon count of the most community models. Also there is a whole bunch of new technologies, specular mapping, bump mapping, normal mapping etc. You can use your old models, but it's necessary to tweak them.

If you have the raw files of your model or if you can convert your v3o file into any other format, you'll be able to import it to the EMERGENCY 5 editor. It's no big deal, you'll only have to convert it into MESH.

But there is a much bigger problem: The average polygon count of EMERGENCY 5 models is higher than the polygon count of the most community models. Also there is a whole bunch of new technologies, specular mapping, bump mapping, normal mapping etc. You can use your old models, but it's necessary to tweak them.

Its good that it wont be hard to get our models into the new game. But...

Oh dear, this might put me in a tough situation with my models. I'll either have to remodel them ALL, or not mod EM5.

I guess the big name mods such as NYC, Montana and RCMP shouldnt have to worry so much.

Can you elaborate exactly how detailed the models are in the new game?

Holy ****. Thats a lot. Only the models from Montana and NYC have similar polycounts. I guess I'll be out of a job when EM5 comes out.

And those models take days to complete sometimes. Making a mod for EM5 might become a full-time job.

Sounds very awesome! Also sounds like it will save a lot of time on repetative time wasting tasks, allowing for more time to be spent on high quality content, rather then placing fences and carefully photoshopping map floors. Also sounds like it will take some of the figuring out how to edit the game out.file system management, allowing it more accessible to people new to modding.

The modding support has always been great, it sounds like its going to improve even further! Fantastic! Thanks sixteen tones entertainment!

6,000 - 20,000 polygons isn't really that high, most other games have been in that range for many years now.

You can still create models lower polys, but chances are you can take your old models, and just improve them around the windows and add some detail, rather then having to start them over again.

If you can import them from something like Blender, where it is seriously easy to model and texture a model it will help a lot.

I'm pretty much new to modding. Thanks to Bama, Hoppah, Goog, Mikey and others who have allowed us to use there models. This seems like a win-win situation to me. As of right now I am clue-less on how to edit the map, now ti sounds like this will be another door opening to those of us with limited modding skills. :cheers:

Norm,

I just really want to know if it's still possible to customize light patterns like in Emergency 4 Editor. After reading about the new dynamic light engine with realistic reflection and light behaviors, it's getting my hopes high but heck, as a guy who spent too long lighting up emergency 4 vehicles, I've got to know some assurances :P It would be a low blow if they remove this feature. It would render my years as a lighter worthless ....

I just really want to know if it's still possible to customize light patterns like in Emergency 4 Editor. After reading about the new dynamic light engine with realistic reflection and light behaviors, it's getting my hopes high but heck, as a guy who spent too long lighting up emergency 4 vehicles, I've got to know some assurances :P It would be a low blow if they remove this feature. It would render my years as a lighter worthless ....

They had mentioned previously it would be very mod-friendly. I can't imagine them taking any of the familiar editing features away.